Por Mi Amante and Palomas

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A boyfriend made the Por Mi Amante for me about 15 years ago. It means "For My Beloved". I was impressed.

Since strawberries were on sale (6 weeks ago!), I decided to try it myself.

I thought I'd taken a photo of the sliced strawberries in the jar with the tequila on the first day, but I guess I didn't. Pity - it was beautiful!

Anyway, after 6 weeks, I broke out the Por Mi Amante for my friend, Kathy's, birthday last night.

We tried a little in shot glasses .... pretty good. Mellow.

Then I made easy Palomas (cocktails) with the Por Mi Amante. Instead of using freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and seltzer, I cheated and used Fresca (grapefruit-flavored soda). Delicious! Loved them!

Here are both recipes, photos below. Oh, Kathy asked for a salt-rimmed glass for her second drink. I think I'll do that myself next time.

Lee

Paloma recipe:

Pour over an ice-filled glass ...
2 shots tequila (in this case, the strawberry-infused Por Mi Amante)
1/4 lime, squeezed
Fill with Fresca (or use grapefruit juice and seltzer)

Por Mi Amante

TEQUILA POR MI AMANTE

One 750ml bottle of good tequila
3 pints ripest possible strawberries; washed, hulled and sliced in half (quarters if they're really huge).
Approximately 6 weeks of time.

In a clean, sealable glass jar, place the washed, hulled and sliced strawberries. Pour the tequila over to cover. Seal the jar, and give it a gentle agitation, rotating the jar clockwise then counterclockwise, trying not to break the berries.

Put the jar in the fridge and allow to steep for three weeks. Every day or so give the jar another gentle agitation.

After steeping, pour the tequila through a fine-mesh strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth (wash and wring first). Wrap the berries in the cheesecloth and squeeze until all the liquid is extracted; discard berries (they've already given up all they've got). The color should be a like a beautiful, brilliant ruby.

Wash the jar thoroughly, then put the strained, infused tequila back into it and pop it back into the fridge. Allow at least three weeks for it to age -- this process will take the edge off and will mellow the flavor tremendously.

Serve three-ounce portions, either over the rocks or shaken and strained into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a fresh strawberry and a slice of lime.

Or make Palomas: 2 shots Por Mi Amante over a large glass of ice, juice of ¼ lime, fill with Fresca (grapefruit-flavored soda),OR fresh grapefruit juice and seltzer.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Por Mi Amante 1, jug ready to drink.JPG
    Por Mi Amante 1, jug ready to drink.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Por Mi Amante 2, shot.JPG
    Por Mi Amante 2, shot.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Por Mi Amante 3, three Palomas.JPG
    Por Mi Amante 3, three Palomas.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Kathy's birthday with Paloma.JPG