Good Goulash Recipe?

Newnork1978

In an attempt to come up with something close to my grandmother's recipe, without actually having my grandmother's recipe, I tried to make Beef Goulash from a recipe I'd found online. My husband said it tasted "alright", but I wasn't impressed at all. My grandmother usually made hers with venison, but I've also had it with beef - and both were very good.

There is a slight possibility my grandmother remembers her recipe or (at least) has it written down for posterity...but in off chance it is lost for good, I'd like to know if anyone would be willing to share their own Goulash recipes.

(I'm hankerin' for something Hungarian)
:tongue:

homecook

It depends on what you consider goulash. It's different things in different regions. lol Are you talking about the kind you add sour cream to??

Newnork1978

I guess you could add sour cream to it...I literally don't know what went into grandma's Goulash other than her choice of venison.

I was just remembering the taste and trying to find a recipe that would fit what I remembered. Ya know?

homecook

Ok this is what we call goulash. Actually my mother called it "Poor Man's Dish" My dd posted this awhile back, it's my recipe. lol

Boil elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups. Fry up a 1-1.5lbs ground meat, green pepper (chop up 1 small or half of a large), onion (i usually use dried onion flakes because i can't handle cutting fresh onions - i sprinkle enough to coat all the meat), about a teaspoon of garlic, Italian seasoning (I just sprinkle all over). Drain. Add your favorite spaghetti sauce (mom uses Prego ... I use Ragu). Add macaroni to the meat mixture. Stir and cover. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and garlic bread.

HTH

Newnork1978

Boil elbow macaroni - about 2.5 cups. Fry up a 1-1.5lbs ground meat, green pepper (chop up 1 small or half of a large), onion (i usually use dried onion flakes because i can't handle cutting fresh onions - i sprinkle enough to coat all the meat), about a teaspoon of garlic, Italian seasoning (I just sprinkle all over). Drain. Add your favorite spaghetti sauce (mom uses Prego ... I use Ragu). Add macaroni to the meat mixture. Stir and cover. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve with salad and garlic bread.
That sounds very similar to grandma's recipe. I think I'll give it a shot. :mrgreen: Thanks!

homecook

Your welcome........it's a staple comfort food in our house. The green pepper is what makes it. You can use any kind of pasta, I use shells, macaroni, bowties, etc.

Newnork1978

Grandma used elbow pasta, I remember because the only other time I'd had 'em is in mac-n-cheese. Hee-hee!

Like I said, I haven't had this meal since I was a kid, and I was feeling very nostalgic when I looked up just any old "Goulash" recipe online and tried it. Heh!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, This is a recipe I use in my 14 yr cookery lessons.

Goulash

2 lbs/1.8 kilos stewing meat (beef, pork, chicken thighs)
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
freshly-ground Black Pepper
3 medium or 2 big Onions
2 cloves of Garlic,
4 tablespoons Paprika
2/3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1.8 litres Water or Stock
1 Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon Tomato Purée
Salt

To serve
6 fl. oz/ Soured Cream or Double Cream made sour with a squeeze of lemon
Salt to taste

Method:
1. If using beef or veal dice it into large cubes, if chicken thighs, leave them whole, removing the skin if you prefer.
2. Mix the flour with a few grinds of pepper and toss it together, so the meat cubes or chicken are well coated – shake of any excess.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a low heat and add the oil. Sweat the onions in this until translucent but not brown. Add the chopped garlic and cook for a further minute.
4. Remove this mixture to the casserole, leaving as much oil/butter in the pan as possible.
5. Increase the heat to medium and fry/seal the meat/chicken until it's brown on all side – you might have to do this in batches. As they become brown, transfer them to the casserole with the onion mixture.
6. Sprinkle over the paprika and mix well in.
7. Add the water/stock, tomato purée and bay leaf.
8. Cook, covered, as slowly as possible on the top of the stove or in a low oven for 2 hours for beef, 1½ hours for veal or 1 hour for chicken thighs.
9. Remove from the cooker/oven and just before serving swirl in a little soured cream into each helping.

Newnork1978

Miniman - Your recipe sounds so "authentically ethnic". I recall Paprika being a common ingredient in anything considered to be "true" Goulash. I would like to try your recipe as well.

Both recipes, so far, sound delicious!
:mrgreen:

homecook

Grandma used elbow pasta, I remember because the only other time I'd had 'em is in mac-n-cheese. Hee-hee!

Like I said, I haven't had this meal since I was a kid, and I was feeling very nostalgic when I looked up just any old "Goulash" recipe online and tried it. Heh!

Just wait until the masses wake up..........you'll have more recipes to try than you'll know what to do with. :lol:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
2 15 oz cans of tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 lb bulk sausage
1/2 c chopped onions
1/4 t paprika
salt and pepper
2 c elbow macaroni-precooked

Throw tomatoes, soup and Lipton in a pot and heat.
Throw sausage and onions in a skillet and add the paprika, salt and pepper. Brown.
Add this to tomato mixture.
Put it all in a greased dish and bake for an hour at 350.

Newnork1978

Just wait until the masses wake up..........you'll have more recipes to try than you'll know what to do with. :lol:

I'm looking forward to just that. If I try every recipe posted here, I'm sure to stumble upon a few (at least) that I plan to make regularly for my family. I might even end up with something better than grandma's. :ohmy: Hee-hee!

Newnork1978

2 15 oz cans of tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
1 lb bulk sausage
1/2 c chopped onions
1/4 t paprika
salt and pepper
2 c elbow macaroni-precooked

Throw tomatoes, soup and Lipton in a pot and heat.
Throw sausage and onions in a skillet and add the paprika, salt and pepper. Brown.
Add this to tomato mixture.
Put it all in a greased dish and bake for an hour at 350.

Mmm...Sounds simple and delicious. Thanks!

Newnork1978

Sass Muffin - Being new to cooking, simple seems easier...but the more I get into this whole cooking thing, the more I can appreciate the many steps and ingredients that come with more complicated recipes. But, I am still (and will always be) a fan of simple recipes. :tongue:

chowhound

Your welcome........it's a staple comfort food in our house. The green pepper is what makes it. You can use any kind of pasta, I use shells, macaroni, bowties, etc.

Ditto on the green bell pepper.
And it has to be cooked down with the pasta in the sauce so it isn't too saucy. As a matter of fact, there really isn't any sauce, the shells and meat are "coated" with the sauce. At least goulash as I've always had it is.

Newnork1978

Ditto on the green bell pepper.
And it has to be cooked down with the pasta in the sauce so it isn't too saucy. As a matter of fact, there really isn't any sauce, the shells and meat are "coated" with the sauce. At least goulash as I've always had it is.

Grandma's recipe was always quite saucy. You lather the noodles with meet, veggies & sauce and use the garlic bread to clean your plate/bowl. But I have no doubt the green peppers are a key ingredient...sounds awesome!