Breakfast bread pudding

smoke king

Banned
We recently hosted a small "reception" following grandson Sammys first communion ceremony. I knew I had to feed these animals something and after careful deliberation , came up with the following. I wanted something that would be hot and tasty, yet remind them to get the hell out of my house when they finished eating. Voila! Breakfast bread pudding was born!

1# breakfast sausage, browned & drained
1 Cup grated cheese (I used cheddar, but any kind would work)
1 French baguette
1/4 cup diced onion (or to taste)
1 tbsp butter
1-1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
salt & pepper

Heat oven to 325 degrees
Butter a 8-1/2 x 11 baking dish (A 1-1/2 quart casserole would work as well)
Cut baguette into roughly 1" chunks
Put half the bread into the baking dish. Cover with sausage, half the cheese and onion. Top with remaining bread. Melt butter and brush the top layer of bread cubes. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
Combine milk, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and pour over the ingredients in pan. Set dish in a water bath and bake for about 50 minutes, or until set.

What I liked about the dish is that it could easily be changed around to suit your taste. I see no reason that ham & pineapple with swiss, bacon, mushrooms, peppers etc couldn't be used. Also, the consistency could be modified by adding more of the egg/milk mixture depending on how you prefer it.

homecook

Sounds good! It's very similar to my breakfast casserole. I do add mushrooms, green and red peppers and more eggs. Very easy to make and it's good hot and at warm temp. It's also very filling. I usually make it for holiday breakfasts because you can make it the night before.

Last edited:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
you know i've never had bread pudding so one of these days i'm gonna have to see about making some.

smoke king

Banned
you know i've never had bread pudding so one of these days i'm gonna have to see about making some.

Never had it? It was a staple in our house growing up. Mom would save up the old stale bread and make it every other week.

Maybe its a fond memory, or maybe its my "pedestrian" palette, but to me its the epitome of "comfort food"!