Mushroom and Ricotta Stuffed Rigatoni

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to do a stuffed rigatoni dish, and tried stuffing cooked shells with a piping bag. What a PITA! So I decided to try stuffing uncooked shells and allow them to cook in the sauce. It worked!! And it is much easier to stuff an uncooked shell with firm ingredients.

However, even though it is easier this way, it is still labor intensive!

Mushroom and Ricotta Stuffed Rigatoni

Ingredients

Rigatoni Tubes – about 50 or so, uncooked
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 Package Baby Bella (portabella) Mushrooms
4 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup water

Procedure

The spaghetti sauce can be your favorite homemade, jarred, or canned sauce. Feel free to add meat to it if you like.

Using a food processor, grind the mushrooms into a fine mince. In a large bowl, mix the Ricotta cheese and minced mushrooms until thoroughly incorporated.

Now the hard part. Take an uncooked Rigatoni tube and press it into the cheese and mushroom mixture. You’ll need to press into the mixture several times. Once you have done so, the tube will be filled with the cheese and mushroom mixture. Once it is filled, place it into an oven safe baking dish.

Repeat this stuffing process until you’ve stuffed enough shells for your dinner, or you’re out the cheese mixture. When you place the stuffed tubes into the pan, you have several options depending on your pan. You can lay them all flat to make a “sheet” of stuffed tubes, or you can stack them in a smaller dish. If stacking, add sauce to each layer.

Once all the tubes are in the baking dish, add 1 cup of water to your sauce. this extra liquid will be absorbed by the Rigatoni as it cooks. Pour the sauce and water mixture over the tubes and cover. Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Uncover and check for doneness by poking a tube with a fork,. If it is soft and pliable, it is ready, otherwise, cover and bake 10 – 15 minutes more. Once the tubes are done, uncover the dish and top with the shredded mozzarella. Return the dish to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling.

Notes

This is an excellent candidate for a single serving dish. If you have some large ramekins or other oven save individually sized dishes, consider using them. By using two ramekins, you have the makings for an awesome dinner for two that is visually fun to present and eat. Just add some good sides and you’re ready to go.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I usually shy away from labor intensive recipes... call me lazy, LOL.
But this sounds so good.. I am gonna have to give it a shot!
Thanks for posting it!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Love the recipe! I've only ever made this with spinach.

How about putting the mushroom-ricotta mixture in a pastry bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off, and piping it into the uncooked rigatoni?

I really like the idea of using uncooked pasta to stuff, since trying to stuff it after it's even partially cooked is a pain in the meatballs.

Keltin, did the rigatoni turn out nice and tender?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Love the recipe! I've only ever made this with spinach.

How about putting the mushroom-ricotta mixture in a pastry bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off, and piping it into the uncooked rigatoni?

I really like the idea of using uncooked pasta to stuff, since trying to stuff it after it's even partially cooked is a pain in the meatballs.

Keltin, did the rigatoni turn out nice and tender?

Lee

Using the piping bag is just a PITA for me on this small pasta. Trying to hold the bag in one hand, the pasta in the other, aim, and squeeze….whew!

With the rigatoni being uncooked, it was so simple to just “stamp” it in the mixture 3 times to get it filled. Just remember to keep mounding the stuffing back up in the bowl after a few stamps….that way the mixture is “deep” for each stamp meaning more filling goes inside per “stamp”. Very easy. By adding an additional cup of water to the sauce, the rigatoni did indeed turn out tender. You couldn’t’ even tell it had started off in the sauce uncooked. It came out as if it had been pre-cooked from the beginning. Worked really nice…..but it does take a little while. That’s why the recipe says “when you have stuffed enough for dinner”!!! :yum:

PanchoHambre

Interesting strategy Keltin

My step-grandmother made stuffed rigs.. I liked them but never knew how she did it... This method sounds promising.