Rachel Ray's giant pan

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm watching RR (episode is called "Uptown Chicken) and she has a skillet that looks as big as a manhole cover that she's lifting, with stuff IN it, with one hand! Got what looks like a red rubber grip on the handle.

I have to use 2 hands to lift, with effort, my 14-inch cast iron pan when it's empty, for heavens sakes!

I looked online to see if I could find her pan, and the closest I could find with her name on it is a 15-inch oval pan.

Does anyone have one of RR's? I'd love to have a giant, lighter-weight skillet like that!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Her line of pans are anodized aluminum. I much prefer good old cast iron for frying regardless..

chowhound

:oops: I thought the topic was RR's giant can....... :brows:

:yum::yum::yum:

I don't think I've seen her use that one Lee, just the oval one.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Yeah, it might be the second link, joe, but there was nothing oval about it.

I love my cast irons, and use them almost all the time, but my big one is just too frickin' heavy!

Thanks!

Lee

P.S. chow, I knew SOMEONE was going to say that - figured it would be either you or Mav! :tongue:

CharlieD

I can't lift my cast iron anymore. After work injury I have problems with my arms. I've given away all but one pan. And even that one I do not use anymore.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have an All-Clad 13" French skillet that I find myself using almost daily. I like it because it's significantly lighter in weight than regular All-Clad stainless, it has 3" sides, and it heats up just as well as my heavier pans. I can lift it with one hand even when it's full.

mixfinder

The oddity in Rachel's cookware, is the oval Dutch oven that she boils her pasta in. She never uses potholders and fumbles to get a kitchen towel to reach both handles while not dropping in the pot. She doused the towel while draining pasta from her anondized canoe. It would be easier and profile the cookware in a better light if she would use pot holders.

Last edited:

chowhound

Lee, I'm watching her cook some some chicken now and it looks like the pan she is using is this one. It sure looks bigger than 12" though. Nice high sides, no lid. It looks like she's got two leg quarters and two breasts in it and still has room. I can't tell on the pic, but the one she is using has three rivets holding the handle on.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, chow, it did look bigger than a 12-incher, but otherwise, looked like that.

That's a pretty good price, don't you think?

Maybe I should order it. I only have a 10 inch non-stick anyway.

Lee

chowhound

Yeah, that seems like a good price. That's the first place I clicked on after Googling, you may be able to find it cheaper, but I've bought stuff from that place before and they're good. It is SS though, so I don't know how light it would be.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm this is still a quandry for me.

I watched her use the big pan again the other night, and I'm thinking that the camera angle (when the camera is trained on her left side) makes the pan look a lot bigger than when the camera is aimed straight down on the pan.

I really have to go to a couple of brick and mortar stores and heft a few pans. I don't want to order one and find out that I hate it.

Jay, are paella pans generally heavy?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just to clarify... the title does say pan not pain, right?? Cause... ah well...

Yeah, I know, Buddy, and I agree, but she DOES make some really good stuff!

And she has that great PAN! LOL!

Lee