Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole

Domestic Goddess

This is a simple, delicious casserole to put together. I have made this using ground beef and tomato sauce, or with a seasoned ground pork sausage and along with a traditional style spaghetti sauce. No matter how it's made, both taste great! The seasoned pork sausage I used, already had salt, course cracked pepper, dried sage, onion and fresh garlic added to it. Have also made this using a lb. of leftover (already-cooked) taco seasoned meat, which gave this dish lots of flavor.

SANY5851.JPG" style="height: 300px; width: 400px;"

Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt, season according to taste
pepper, season according to taste
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
4 cups shredded cabbage, divided
3 tablespoons Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese

In a skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off the excess grease.

Add beef back to the skillet, then add the onion, garlic, salt & pepper, and the red pepper flakes.

Add the tomato sauce, stir and heat the tomato/beef mixture, over low heat.

At this point, set the oven temp to 350 degrees.

Spray the inside of a 2-1/2 quart casserole baking dish with a no-stick cooking spray.

Add 2 cups of the shredded cabbage to the casserole baking dish, and half of the tomato/beef mixture over the shredded cabbage.

Repeat layer of cabbage and tomato/beef mixture.

Sprinkle casserole with the parmesan cheese.

Cover, and bake in oven for 45 minutes.

Yields: 4 servings

Note: I happened to of read an interesting review (at another website), that someone had posted about this recipe. It gave me an idea to turn this dish into an "unstuffed cabbage roll" recipe. I wish I had thought of that before, and what a great idea!

The review reads as follows...
If your family likes stuffed cabbage rolls, and you shudder at the thought of boiling uncooperative cabbage leaves, then rolling and stuffing for half an hour, then this is your recipe! I made it as is, with a bit more tomato sauce. Next time, I'll stir some cooked rice (about 1 cup or less) into the ground beef mixture, then it will become a deconstructed cabbage roll. Serve with mashed potatoes, and you've got a winter winner on your hands! Oh, and a hearty sprinkling of parmesan cheese will give it a nice slight crustiness, if you uncover for the last 15 minutes!

Last edited:

Domestic Goddess

I recently made the dish that you were talking about with the rice, DG, and called it Lazy Golumpki - loved it!
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26713&highlight=lazy+golumpki

But I like the way you made it without the carbs, and will give that a try!

Lee

Lee, the other day I made this twice... once with the (already cooked) brown rice added to it, and again with out the rice, and I think I much prefer it with out the rice. I guess the day I made it with the rice, it just didn't tickle my taste buds!

I do love this dish also made with either seasoned ground pork sausage and with traditional spaghetti sauce, also with taco seasoned ground beef and tomato sauce. Yum-O!! Both are delish! Most days though, I'm usually in a hurry and need to quickly cook up something, so I ended up making this with just plain ol' ground beef, which is satisfying enough for both my husband and I.

By the way Lee... I did check out your Lazy Golumpki recipe, and it sounds as good as it looks!! I like the addition of the sauerkraut in it, so one day I may just have to make it. Also, very nice picture of your recipe too!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this over the weekend, as written (no rice).

LOVE it! :wow:

Used 90% lean burger. The cabbage is tender, but still has great texture!

Lee

Attachments

• Burger cabbage casserole 1.jpg
    Burger cabbage casserole 1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 145
  • Burger cabbage casserole 2.jpg
    Burger cabbage casserole 2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 145