Czech Kolaches

Johnny West

The mrs made these today. Amelia and I were to help but my help was doing the dishes.

The almond kolaches were excellent and never had them before. My favorites are the poppyseed.

She forgot to turn the timer on and some and got over baked. No matter, they taste fine.

Attachments

• ########Kolaches II.jpg
    ########Kolaches II.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:

Johnny West

I guess I never went you that recipe - it's forthcoming.

I had some old prunes in the panty from when I had the last knee replacement. today I cooked them up using this recipe -:

Prune Kolache Filling

2 cups dried prunes
water or prune juice to cover
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 ground cloves

Place the prunes in a small saucepan and add water or prune juice to not-quite cover. Bring the mixture the boil, turn off the heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Cool the prunes then run through a blender.

I had to run to the grocer for some things for the mrs so stopped in the dairy isle and got some Safeway brand crescent roll tubes. I had the idea to use them for folded kolaches. I eft them on the counter to long and they would not separate so made round locates and it worked perfect. Christmas I'll make poppyseed and apricot when the family is here. I have cans of solo in the pantry.

Attachments

• #Kolache Prune {.jpg
    #Kolache Prune {.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 917

Johnny West

Yum! My grandmother used to make them. Wish Id' gotten her recipe.

Here you go...

My father was an expert kolache maker as was my mother. Here is his recipe. My mom taught two gals from Cresco how to make these and they won a blue ribbon at the Howard County Fair as well as the Iowa State Fair.

Czech Kolaches

1 pint lukewarm milk
3/4 cup shortening, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 whole eggs or 3 egg yokes
2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. yeast
6 cups flour
1/2 tsp. mace

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm milk and 2 tbs sugar. Beat eggs, add rest of sugar, salt, mace and remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, yeast, flour, and melted shortening. Beat until smooth and silky. Cover and let rise1 to 1 1/2 hours a good warm place. Shape dough into walnut size balls; brush with melted lard (we use ghee or butter). Let rise 30 to 40 minutes. From depression in biscuit and fill with your preferred filling. Let rise until double in size. Bake in hot oven (500*F) for 5 to 7 minutes - watch the time so they don't over brown or burn. Cool and remove from baking sheet. Brush with lard. The dough can also be used for poppyseed crescent rolls. Let rise and bake the same.

We use Solo brand fillings; prune, apricot, and poppy seed.

If you make the prune filling from the recipe I provided you might cut back on the cinnamon and clove. It is spicy but we like it.

Johnny West

They look good. What flavor fillings? Is that strawberry?
Cherry, prune, apricot, and my favorite, poppyseed.

I like cottage cheese, too, but we had none and she doesn’t like them.

I have all my dad’s recipes for making fillings from scratch but Solo brand is an easy way to go.

Johnny West

I gave Matt all my dad’s recipes for fillings and never made a copy for us.
Nancy found a recipe on the net for a prune filling that was very good. It
has a touch of cinnamon which I like. The apricot and poppyseed fillings
are Solo brand.

For having Afib she was busy baking today with a loaf of sourdough bread,
a batch of oatmeal gum drop cookies, and kolaches. I cleaned the kitchen.

I think she put to much filling in the poppyseed and filling was runny.

5A3D2D2C-AF7D-4036-AC79-F9A051A266BC.jpeg
B7E849AB-B610-43EF-9A69-C76F11B3F5D9.jpeg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Can you explain what a kolache is? Is it 'sturdy' like bread? Or more tender like a danish or donut? Or is it cake or cookie like? Or someething else? Is the dough very sweet? I've never had one, and it's hard to tell from pictures.

Johnny West

A kolache is basically a Czech version of a fruit danish with a semi sweet, tender, dough and fruit filling of your choice. Nancy made these yesterday using a recipe for a gluten free Carmel roll recipe with Bob’s 1:1 GF flour And were good but not quite like a flour product. My father would make rollickies, a Czech dinner horn, using his kolache dough recipe.