1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4 ears grilled corn on the cob, kernels cut off
A sprinkle sugar
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes. Add corn to peppers and onions; season with a 1/4 tsp. sugar, a dash of cayenne pepper and salt.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cut butter into pieces and stir into corn mixture. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon maque choux into a serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve.

Attachments

• maque-choux-600w.jpg
    maque-choux-600w.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 127

lilylove

Love that red bowl! Corn looks great too...do you use it as a salsa or salad or as a yummy side dish?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Ummmm, looks great! Cutting the kernels from the cob is time consuming but definitely worth it.

GotGarlic

Thanks, Trish! All of the above :wink: I served it with dinner Friday night as a side dish, and DH ate the rest last night as a cold salad/snack.

Cooksie, with a good sharp chef's knife, it only took a minute or so to cut the kernels off four ears of corn. Stand the cob in a large bowl to catch the kernels and juices and cut down the sides. Takes no time at all.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
GG - I made this last night. In looking over the ingredients, I noted that your namesake (Garlic) was not there. In respect to the author, I added some. I cannot say if it made a big difference, since this my fitst time making it.

Anyway it was a huge success. I loved it. It kind of said southwest to me, so I marinated some skirt steak (Worsteshire, soy, salt, pepper, Garlic powder, chopped onion). and grilled the corn for the Maque Choux and the Skirt steak. To that I added wild rice as another side.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be about some white wine while cooking it?

Thank You

Andy

GotGarlic

GG - I made this last night. In looking over the ingredients, I noted that your namesake (Garlic) was not there. In respect to the author, I added some. I cannot say if it made a big difference, since this my fitst time making it.

Anyway it was a huge success. I loved it. It kind of said southwest to me, so I marinated some skirt steak (Worsteshire, soy, salt, pepper, Garlic powder, chopped onion). and grilled the corn for the Maque Choux and the Skirt steak. To that I added wild rice as another side.

I was wondering what your thoughts would be about some white wine while cooking it?

Thank You

Andy

It's definitely a southwest flavor, Andy. Glad you liked it :smile: And you can't go wrong adding garlic! I may do that myself next time.

I'm not so sure about the white wine, though. For an acidic element, I might add a squeeze of lime juice, to stay with the southwestern flavors.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Thank You

Andy
where are the pics!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry peep. I cooked the whole meal (Except for the rice) outside. It didn't occurr to me to grab eht camera.

I will do better next time.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - I see your point with the white wine. I will drink that on the side.:wink:

I kind of wavered around, I was thinking of making Tortillas and maybe using the meat and the Maque Choux as a filling. I got side tracked.

In the middle of cooking we had a Bear event (Bear is my Chocolate lab). I bought a horseradish root and had not used it. It had started to sprout adn I decided to plant it and grow my own horseradish. I tilled a small area and planted away. Bear went and pulled the whole root and was walking around with it in his mouth. Had to chase him down. I was afraid of what it would do to him when he ate it. By the time that was over with evrything was nearly done.

Great meal outside as the sun went down.

Andy