Funeral Potatoes

Johnny West

The funeral poatoes came out good and were a hit. I did do some substitutions but one would never know. I used cream of mushroom soup, yellow potatoes, and corn chex not flakes.

IMG_7357.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That recipe looks SO good, Johnny!

I'm going to make these some day!

Lee

Johnny West

The next time I do this I'll use the red potatoes and think they shred up better. I used cream of mushroom soup since it is vegetarian and my son was eating some of it.

I'll have to find my brother's recipe. I called him for it but he failed to return the call.

Saliha

Interesting recipe. I could try it as different kind of vegetable casseroles are common here, specially at the Christmas time (potato, carrot, beetroot casseroles).

Johnny West

I think it would be good with a cauliflower and broccoli mix, too.

I love beets but they always turn the whole dish purple.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I would use a cream of celery or Broccoli........... I can't abide that canned cream 'o mushroom stuff in any mode or fashion..........

Johnny West

The recipe calls for cream of chicken but since my vegitarian son was eating it I use cream of mushroom which is a vegitarian soup. I don't think anyone could tell the difference with all the onions and cheese in the dish. YMMV I'd be interested to hear how cream of broccoli works, should you make this.

Anyway it is gone and everyone loved it.

BTW, if you research this on the net you will see there are about as many funeral potato recipes as there are cooks, all are quite good, I'm sure. I wanted a recipe with fresh potatoes since I had so many to use up.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The recipe calls for cream of chicken but since my vegitarian son was eating it I use cream of mushroom which is a vegitarian soup. I don't think anyone could tell the difference with all the onions and cheese in the dish. YMMV I'd be interested to hear how cream of broccoli works, should you make this.

Anyway it is gone and everyone loved it.

BTW, if you research this on the net you will see there are about as many funeral potato recipes as there are cooks, all are quite good, I'm sure. I wanted a recipe with fresh potatoes since I had so many to use up.

That's the truth! This dish, we called it potato casserole, was a staple at our family gatherings for many years. Kids usually love it. I did it the simple way.

Mix together: hash browns, shredded cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream, cream of mushroom (think that was all).

Melt one stick of butter in a large pyrex casserole dish.

Pour potato mixture evenly over melted butter.

We always skipped the crunchy topping but usually topped with more cheese.

Yours looks great!

Johnny West

Cooksie, I'll make it again, the way you do it, when my brother visits next week. We'll have the ham balls and funeral potatoes per his request. This will be a combination birthday/Thanksgiving dinner since we all won't be together for the holiday. I'll have to make my famous squash pie for dessert. :thumb:

Johnny West

Here's the dish mixed before baking and then with the topping. I should have crushed more chex but was done with it.

IMG_7433.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_7435.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]