For Lunch March 16th "Very Spicy Tortillia Pizza"

Derek

Banned
First I've started out with the enchilada sauce,

Ok I've used this recipe here but where it say's 1/4th cup chili powder? I put half Cyenne powder in and half Chili powder in the 1/4th cup and mixed them with my finger.

PREP TIME 5 Min
COOK TIME 15 Min
READY IN 20 Min
Original recipe yield 2 cups

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 2 cups water
* 1/4 cup tomato sauce
* salt to taste
* garlic powder to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then add the chili powder and cook for 1 more minute. Gradually stir in the water, mixing well with a whisk to make sure you get out all the lumps, then stir in the tomato sauce and season with salt and garlic powder to taste.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. (Note: If sauce thickens too much, just add a little water to thin it out a bit.)

I've also added a beef bullion cube to flavor the water & this sauce is freaking awesome.

492524003_BvmNV-S.jpg

492524019_fEpyS-S.jpg

492524034_L4E7z-S.jpg

492524050_EaEs2-S.jpg

chowhound

That looks good. And the sauce sounds great.
I'll ASSume you can use puree in place of tomato sauce? I think the only difference is that sauce has spices in it, and since you're adding spices anyway....
So what all did you put on it? And how does it "eat"? I noticed the tortillas were just kind of spread around on the pan, like a nacho dish. Do you find one and kind of roll the toppings up into it? I've got some torts just dying to be used up and this looks like a great way to do that.

Derek

Banned
That looks good. And the sauce sounds great.
I'll ASSume you can use puree in place of tomato sauce? I think the only difference is that sauce has spices in it, and since you're adding spices anyway....
So what all did you put on it? And how does it "eat"? I noticed the tortillas were just kind of spread around on the pan, like a nacho dish. Do you find one and kind of roll the toppings up into it? I've got some torts just dying to be used up and this looks like a great way to do that.
It's a hot & Spicy dish, It east's like an enchilada & nacho style dish though.

I've put ceyenne peppers seasoning, chili powder, crushed red peppers, and ground up chile arbots.

That's all the spice I used besides sea salt and garlic powder.

A tip, if you make this dish, Go ahead and fry the top layer of tortilla's in a fry pan if you want some crunch.

PapaJoe8

The Hound beat me to the punch... sounds and looks great!

I might add some nacho sliced pickled jalapenos just before it gets done. We put those on just about everything around my neighborhood. :~)
Joe

Derek

Banned
The Hound beat me to the punch... sounds and looks great!

I might add some nacho sliced pickled jalapenos just before it gets done. We put those on just about everything around my neighborhood. :~)
Joe
I've upgrade from jalapeno's to ceyanne peppers & habeneros :)

Hell jalapenos don't even tickle my taste buds any more!

chowhound

Thanks Derek.
I think I was expecting it to eat like a "typical" (and I know there is no such thing) pizza because of the name. I think I'm going to try and make this, but with a twist. I'm going to try to make this individual portioned. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Derek

Banned
Thanks Derek.
I think I was expecting it to eat like a "typical" (and I know there is no such thing) pizza because of the name. I think I'm going to try and make this, but with a twist. I'm going to try to make this individual portioned. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Just wrap everything up in each tortilla shell and you got a spicy and awesome tasty enchilada.