Wine - Fill in the blank

chowhound

Port is to red what _________ is to white?

Having only recently started adding wine to dishes, all I've needed so far has been red. Port was recommended and I like the taste of it in a glass, too. The perfect wine for someone who doesn't really like wine.
Enter Homecook's pork piccata......
I asked the guy at the liquor store the same question as above. He suggested dry sherry. Good in the pork piccata. Bad in the glass :yuk: Blech.

Any suggestions? I'm sure there are folks here a lot more knowledgeable than the guy who works in the state store. What is a good all purpose, cooking, white wine that also has a taste parallel to port... not too sweet, not too dry, not too fruity, good chilled?
And doesn't taste like dry sherry (lol).
BTW, for lack of a better method, I bought the same brand white as I use red.

FryBoy

Sherry is the number one choice, period. Usually dry sherry is used in cooking, but if you like port, which is often quite sweet, try a cream sherry, which is significantly sweeter than dry

Marsala, which is an Italian fortified white wine with a similar taste profile, is also good.

If you don't like that taste, however, try any dry white wine that's not heavily oaked -- that is, avoid most cheap Chardonnays, which are often very oaky. Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc, Muscat Blanc, and even generic "Chablis" (but not the real thing, which is $$$) all work well in most dishes.

BTW, I happen to like dry sherry, but then I like scotch and bourbon, too.

Last edited:

chowhound

Thanks for the list, Doug.
I need my cooking wine to be a multitasker so I can use it up before it turns to vinegar (lol).

GotGarlic

I like sweet wines, too, Chow. For cooking and drinking, I like Riesling or Pinot Grigio, although I always have pink wine in the house, and often use that :wink:

Also, to make sure I always have wine for cooking on hand, I buy the little four-packs. That way, I can use a few tbsps. or a half-cup, and drink the rest without having to make sure to use it up in another dish.

chowhound

Thanks, GG. They don't sell the little 4-pks by me. PA has state regulated stores. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
It was suggested to me before to use vermouth when a dish called for white wine, but the vermouth waaay overpowered the dish I was attempting... I didn't like the taste it imparted at all.

I'm going to pick up a bottle of that Riesling since it was mentioned twice. And It's a name I can remember ;^)

ETA: the only reason vermouth seemed like a good choice at the time is because it will last forever in the cupboard (I was told). No need to worry about using it up before it goes bad.

Last edited:

homecook

I agree with FryBoy.

I personally like a dry white wine, Chardonnay...Clos Du Bois specifically but it is very dry and oaky, although there are alot of other good ones. I'm just stuck on this one for now. I can get the small 4 packs here of Reisling that I use in most cooking. I have been know to drink it also. LOL

I have used the Sherry when I'm out of other wine. I can't drink it straight either chow!

homecook

You could make it and freeze it. Just don't freeze the lemon slices with it. lol Don't ask me how I know..........Add fresh lemon slices when you heat it up.

FryBoy

Vermouth is often a good choice, but not if your recipe calls for a lot of wine. Vermouth is flavored with various herbs and spices, which can add a subtle flavor to dishes when used in small amounts. And good Vermouth, such as Noilly Prat, is more expensive than the sort of cheap plonk most people use for cooking.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My favorite wet (sweet) white wines for cooking and drinking from the glass are Riesling and Moscato (or Muscat). These go great in most sauces and sautés, and are awesome with anything tomato based.

chowhound

Alright, another vote for Riesling.
Thanks for the link, GG. I want to use that dry sherry up without wasting it.... even though it was only six bucks or so a bottle (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are my basic cooking choices for pasta with red sauces as well as many other things. I keep all 3 on hand and I'm not a wine drinker by any stretch. I've been getting these in boxed form lately for cooking that are all actually good to drink. The advantage to the box is their shelf life is greatly increased in a box. All of them that I use at the moment are made by Vella out on Napa Valley. For cooking they work great and meet my minimum requirement in that I don't gag when I drink a glass which many wine do to me.

White Wines
Pinot Grigio

Red Wines
Cabernet Sauvignon
Sangiovese

FryBoy

Here's a super recipe, IMHO, that will use up a bit of your dry sherry. It's quick, easy, and delicious; the sherry flavor is mild but really kicks it up a notch:

SAUTEED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS

½ Cup Flour
½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
4 Boneless Skinless Breast Halves (6 to 8 Ounces Each)
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 Pound Mushrooms, Sliced
1 Cup Onion, Diced
½ Cup Dry Sherry
1 Cup Chicken Stock
2/3 Cup Half & Half
4 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme, Chopped
Salt & Pepper to Taste

1. Mix together flour and nutmeg. Set aside 2 Tablespoons
of mixture and put remainder on plate.

2. Pound all breast halves to about ½ inch thick,
season with salt & pepper.

3. Dredge two of the breast halves in flour mixture.

4. Melt half the butter in hot 5-quart saute pan over medium
heat; saute two floured breasts halves about 3 to 4
minutes per side; place cooked breasts on clean plate
and cover with foil to keep warm.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 with remaining butter and breasts.

6. Add mushrooms and onion to pan, saute until brown,
about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

7. Add reserved flour mixture to pan and cook about
1 minute, stirring constantly.

8. Add sherry to pan and stir about 30 seconds to loosen
brown bits on bottom of pan; add stock and half & half to
pan and bring to boil, stirring constantly.

9. Reduce heat to medium-low, place chicken on top of
mushrooms; simmer uncovered about 5 minutes to heat
chicken and thicken gravy; add salt & pepper if needed.

10. Garnish with chopped thyme & serve.

FryBoy

Here's another. This ain't easy, but it will knock per socks off! The sherry is essential to the flavor, IMHO.

PORK & MUSTARD STROGANOFF

This take on traditional beef stroganoff is a little lighter, but the flavor is
boosted with addition of brown mustard. Brands of mustard will vary in
intensity, so taste as it is whisked into the sauce.

1 pound pork tenderloin, silverskin removed
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
6 tablespoons dry sherry, Amontillado preferred
1½ tablespoons soy sauce
1 large onion chopped moderately fine
2 teaspoons minced garlic
½ ounce dried porcini rehydrated in hot water to cover
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1½ cups beef broth or stock
1½ cups chicken broth or stock
1 bay leaf
1½ teaspoons minced thyme
4 parsley stems
¼ cup brown/whole grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons softened butter
1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
12 ounces medium-size egg noodles, cooked
finely chopped parsley (optional garnish)

1. Season tenderloin to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat a Dutch oven
to medium-high; add just enough oil to coat skillet bottom, about 1
tablespoon. When oil shimmers and is just short of smoking, add
tenderloin. Brown on all sides, waiting to turn meat until it releases
from the pan when shaken.

2. Set pork aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes (keep Dutch oven with
browned bits - the fond). Cut tenderloin in half lengthwise, then cut
each half crosswise into thin slices, about c- to d-inch thick. Combine
2 tablespoons of the sherry and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce in a
bowl. Add the meat and turn to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready
to cook.

3. In the same Dutch oven over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and
chopped onions. Cook until onions turn golden brown, about 6-8
minutes. Add the garlic and cook a minute more until garlic becomes
fragrant. Transfer onions and garlic to a bowl and reserve.

4. Meanwhile, swish porcini in the water to remove any grit; remove
porcinis and chop moderately fine. Strain soaking water through a
coffee filter; reserve porcini water.

5. In the same pan, add the butter and sliced cremini mushrooms.
Season to taste and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have
released their moisture and are almost half their original size, about
4-5 minutes. Deglaze with the rest of the sherry and cook briefly until
liquid is reduced by about half.

6. Add porcini, reserved onions and garlic, reserved porcini water, beef
and chicken broths, bay leaf, thyme and parsley stems. Simmer
uncovered, about 20-25 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by one-third.
Remove and discard bay leaf and parsley stems. The recipe can be
prepared ahead to this point; reheat before proceeding.

7. Whisk in mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining soy
sauce and sour cream. Simmer for a few minutes to meld flavors.

8. Meanwhile, combine the butter and flour in a small bowl. Whisk
butter-flour mixture into the simmering liquid. Taste and adjust
seasoning.

9. Add pork and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally.

10. Taste and adjust seasoning once more before serving immediately
over hot, buttered egg noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired.

FryBoy

And another, an old family favorite. My daughter loved it when she was little, and it was the first recipe she asked for when she went away to college. Again, the sherry is essential to the overall success of the dish:

TUNA TETRAZZINI

6 ounces spaghetti
1 10½-ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup diced pimento
¼ cup diced green pepper
2 tablespoons capers, drained
¼ cup dry sherry
1¾ cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
2 cans (7-ounces each) solid-pack albacore tuna
salt & pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grease 2-quart casserole.

3. Break spaghetti in pieces and cook according to package
directions; drain.

4. While spaghetti is cooking, melt butter in medium frying
pan, add onions and green peppers and saute over
medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.

5. Add mushrooms to pan and saute until they release their
juices, about another 3 minutes; continue cooking until
most of juices have evaporated.

6. In prepared casserole, mix together condensed soup,
onion/green pepper/mushroom mixture, pimentos, capers,
sherry, and 1¼ cups cheese (note: be sure to reserve
½ cup of cheese).

7. Break tuna into chunks and mix into sauce in casserole.

8. Add cooked spaghetti to casserole and mix carefully.

9. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese over top of casserole.

10. Bake 45 – 60 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top.

FryBoy

how about sauternes?
Generally inappropriate in cooking. The real stuff is very sweet, has a distinctive flavor, and is very expensive. American wines with the moniker "sauterne" or "sauternes" were gawdawful blends of extremely cheap white wines that once mostly sold to winos, although I believe the use of the term is no longer allowed on American bottlings due to treaties with France.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Generally inappropriate in cooking. The real stuff is very sweet, has a distinctive flavor, and is very expensive. American wines with the moniker "sauterne" or "sauternes" were gawdawful blends of extremely cheap white wines that once mostly sold to winos, although I believe the use of the term is no longer allowed on American bottlings due to treaties with France.

I can think of no recipe that requires cups and cups of port..just as I can think of no recipe that requires cups and sauternes. Yes, it's expensive,but so is a good port. Like sauternes, port is sweet on the tongue and perfect for drinking after dinner. Pretty sure the original post was looking for something that could be cooked with and consumed.
So, no, it's not generally inappropriate for cooking. That's just your preference. It might be more helpful in the future if you made that more clear. Sauternes is perfect in vegtable chowders and bisques, and adds a wonderful compliment to white fish sauces.

FryBoy

I can think of no recipe that requires cups and cups of port..just as I can think of no recipe that requires cups and sauternes. Yes, it's expensive,but so is a good port. Like sauternes, port is sweet on the tongue and perfect for drinking after dinner. Pretty sure the original post was looking for something that could be cooked with and consumed.
So, no, it's not generally inappropriate for cooking. That's just your preference. It might be more helpful in the future if you made that more clear. Sauternes is perfect in vegtable chowders and bisques, and adds a wonderful compliment to white fish sauces.
Nonsense! Try to find recipes that call for Sauternes (the Bordeaux dessert wine with an "s" on the end -- not the cheap cooking wine called "Sauterne").

Sauternes is generally inappropriate for cooking because 1) it's usually extremely sweet and often of a syrupy consistency, 2) it has some unusual flavors due to the way it's made, namely from dried-up grapes infected with a fungus called Botrytis cinerea or "noble rot," and 3) the better labels can cost well over $100 for a half bottle -- even the cheaper labels are rarely available for less than $50 a bottle -- and it is thus too expensive to be practicable in most kitchens.

That's not to say that Sauternes is always inappropriate in recipes, or with food for that matter. It is a classic accompaniment to fois grass, for example, and the French like it with lobster. I'm sure there are some recipes that call for it as an ingredient, but they are few and far between compared to those that call for sherry or simply white wine.

In any case, substituting Sauternes for white wine in a recipe, or vice versa, would be a bad choice, and that was the OP's question.

As for opinions, Vera, I've noticed that yours always seem to be stated as absolute truth. Why is that?

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I like to use red burgandy wine when making my spaghetti sauce. And I also like to marinate steak in it.

High Cheese

Saucier
In any case, substituting Sauternes for white wine in a recipe, or vice versa, would be a bad choice, and that was the OP's question.

You can also ruin a dish by adding port instead of red wine.

I only had sauternes once in a bar at a catering hall. Like any booze, it could fit into cooking....somewhere. Not as main stream as white or sherry obviously.

But to answer the question comparing port to red, that's the only thing I would suggest. IMO, it's the ying to the yang.

FryBoy

Actually, sherry is somewhat more akin to port than is Sauternes. Sherry and Port (or Oporto, as it's called in Portugal where it's made) are both fortified wines. Brandy is added to boost the alcohol content and to stop fermentation while there's still a lot of sugar in the wine. Sauternes, OTOH, is made from grapes that are infected with a fungus that dries them out, concentrating the sugars; it is not fortified.

The main characteristic that arguably makes port similar to Sauternes is the residual sugar content of the wines. While dry sherry has relatively little residual sugar, other types of sherry, such as cream sherry (think Harvey's Bristol Cream) are quite sweet -- which I suspect is why dry sherry is used much more often in cooking.