Cleaning the coffee carafe

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Y'all probably already know this but I just figured it out last night. I have a Bunn coffee maker and the carafe is a commercial one that it stainless steel on the bottom half and clear plastic on the top. Well, I make a lot of coffee and my pot gets coffee stains almost overnight. I usually spend a lot of time about once a week trying to scrub it out, but it's hard to get in there since the spout part is really small. So last night, I sprinkled a fair amount of powdered dishwashing detergent in the bottom and filled it with hot water. When I came back about 20 minutes later, I just ran my brush lightly around the inside of the pot and voila! It looks brand new!

Biskit

Some cafes here put a generous amount of salt in the carafe, then fill it about half way with ice cubes. They swish and swirl the ice/salt around in there for a bit and it scrubs the carafe's clean as a whistle.

I've just dumped a generous amount of Hilex or Chlorox in, and added HOT water and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse well and let stand for a bit to "evaporate" the chlorine.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I had tried salt, but didn't know about the ice with it. But the Cascade thing just tickled me to no end! I love a clean coffee pot. Coffee is my life!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great tip, Terry! I'll try it!

(the Cascade, I mean).

Lee

phreak

I always thought it was a big no no to clean any part of the coffee maker or carafe with anything other than vinegar or salt and ice.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I always thought it was a big no no to clean any part of the coffee maker or carafe with anything other than vinegar or salt and ice.
That could be, phreak. I don't remember reading the instructions on the carafe and I bought the coffee maker used. But I was thinking that since you can put a carafe into a dishwasher, it should be safe to use dishwasher detergent. (I do have a back-up carafe in case I kill this one.)