Home Made Egg Noodles

Leni

A while back someone asked me for my grandmothers recipe. I just came across it yesterday.

1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs well beaten
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cup sifted flour.

Add the salt to the eggs. Put the flour into a bowl and make a hole. Add the eggs and stir the flour in gradually. Turn out on a floured surface. Knead until the dough is stiff and elastic adding more flour if needed.

Cover with a towel and let it rest for 15 minutes. Cut the dough into two parts and roll out very thin. Sprinkle the dough with flour and roll up into a cylinder. Slice pieces about 1/2 " wide and shake out. Allow the noodles to dry for about an hour or until they are a deep gold. (My grandmother would have us unroll the noodles and break them into shorter lengths. She added more flour to them during the drying process.) Cook the noodles in chicken broth and butter or a combination of roasted chicken drippings and chicken broth with butter. Use lots of butter.

This is not exactly a low cholesterol recipe or for someone who is dieting but it is so good.

Ian M.

Lord, Leni, this sounds so good! I love egg noodles and these sound deceptively easy to make. I say "deceptively" easy because I know from bitter experience that you simply cannot be heavy-handed when trying to make noodles or pasta of any sort and I'm notoriously too heavy-handed to do it - this one I'm going to turn over to DW and then hang around to make sure she uses "LOTS OF BUTTER" to make the noodles. Thanks so much for sharing this with the forum.

Ian :thankyou:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I frequently make egg noodles with the same recipe, but I sometimes add a little water so my dough is softer. I work the dough through my pasta machine, then use the fettuccine cutter on the machine to cut the noodles into long strips. For a different twist on flavor, I sometimes use 50/50 white/wheat flour, and sometimes add sweet basil if I'll use the noodles with an Alfredo sauce or a red sauce. Anyway you make them, there's nothing better than home made noodles.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A bowl of those in some excellent chicken broth ..... mmmMMM!

What better to have cold winter day???

Thanks, Leni!

Lee

Leni

My grandmother used to make what she called 'old hen and noodles'. She'd buy a hen that had stopped laying eggs due to her age and slowly roast it. That bird was big. It would feed 10 of us with side dishes. She would cook the noodles in the drippings adding some of the left over flour to make a gravy. When we left the table we were stuffed.

Go ahead and try it In. Don't forget that there is a long resting time for the noodles. I'm pretty heavy handed also. My pie crusts are awful.

Last edited:

Ian M.

Evening, Leni - To begin with, I just can't imagine that anything you cook is "awful" - you're way too good a cook! But I know what you mean about pie crust. I've had to resort to the Pillsbury Allready Pie Crusts and they're really not bad at all - Any pie crust I've ever tried to make from scratch has been taken over by the city and used for manhole covers! This is exactly the reason why I cook and DW is the family baker........my mother told me years ago that the secret to a good pie crust is using lard but you couldn't prove it by mine. I've used Crisco, lard and everything short of axel grease and mine are still positively horrible! I just handle the dough too much, I think.

Ian :chef:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Mine are done about the same but i had a couple tablespoons of hot water to the mixture and i cut mine by hand.