thinking of Spring ISO BBQ Sauce

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am daydreaming of spring and joy of cooking outdoors.

I am looking for a BBQ Sauce. Southern inspired, uses ketchup (Or Tomato sauce / paste) molasses, mustard, onion, some vinegar, smoky flavor, maybe a back taste of bacon, maybe not.

Anyone have any ideas in that area?

Thank You in advance

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of Sweet Baby Ray's Keltin. I am looking to home brew. Start out with basic ingredients and tune. I am hoping for a sweet tangy taste, without a lot of sugar. Then a kind of back bang.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am daydreaming of spring and joy of cooking outdoors.

I am looking for a BBQ Sauce. Southern inspired, uses ketchup (Or Tomato sauce / paste) molasses, mustard, onion, some vinegar, smoky flavor, maybe a back taste of bacon, maybe not.

Anyone have any ideas in that area?

Thank You in advance
I used this recently on my oven BBQ ribs

Bacon - chopped small
Onion - chopped small
2 (6 oz) Tomato paste
Water
Brown sugar
Liquid smoke
Mustard
Ketchup
Ground hot pepper flakes
Cayenne
Molasses
White vinegar
Coffee - to taste - optional
Chocolate powder - optional

In pot cook bacon till crisp. Remove and drain. In bacon fat cook onion till soft. Add tomato paste and enough water to dissolve paste to a thin consistency. Add brown sugar , liquid smoke, mustard, ketchup, hot pepper flakes and molasses to taste. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Add bacon. Taste during simmering and adjust ingredients to your liking. Simmer till it reaches desired thickness and has a nice rich flavor.
Brush on meat while grilling. Use as dip for meats.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's one from my website: Oven BBQ Chicken. You can use the same sauce on the grill.

Attachments

• ovenbbqchicken.jpg
    ovenbbqchicken.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 144

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Peep - The coffee and Chocolate are interesting. Are the tastes discernable or do they blend for a kind of mystery back flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmmmm- MMM!

Bam, the Jim Beam sauce really sounds appealing to me!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yuppers Lee - In my case maybe a bit of JD. Then, I was thinking make up the sauce ahead of time and vary the liquor. Can that work?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Andy, you just have to simmer it a bit to marry the flavors.

Have fun!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yuppers Lee - In my case maybe a bit of JD. Then, I was thinking make up the sauce ahead of time and vary the liquor. Can that work?

heres how i make my bbq sauce...

follow the ingredient list....bring to a boil on the stove in a sauce pan...then transfer everything to my slow cooker to the "Keep Warm" setting and let it simmer overnight or for at least 14 hours...it will make the most watery sauce simmer down and concentrate to a beautiful pot of goodness..lol

some different ingredients you can add to your BBQ sauce are:

pineapple puree or crushed pineapple - one of SBR's ingredients
cherry pie filling
apple pie filling
coffee
balsamic vinegar
peaches
apricots

the list can go on forever..lol

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hi Peep - The coffee and Chocolate are interesting. Are the tastes discernable or do they blend for a kind of mystery back flavor.
add to taste you can leave it a mystery by adding a small amount. the more you add the less mystery. LOL i like it to be mild.

Last edited:

Meme4251

I also have a long ingredient sauce recipe that I used from my dad and is really good but tried Baby Ray's and I have to agree w/the above, it is hard to beat. Use it now all the time.