Easy Baked Beans

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s my rendition of baked beans. Nothing complicated, but rather tasty.

Easy Baked beans

Ingredients

2 cans pork-n-beans, thoroughly drained
1/2 cup chopped onions
6 strips bacon (fatty and preferably smoked)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
3 tbsp yellow mustard
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar

Procedure

Fry the bacon in a skillet. Remove to a paper towel to drain. Reserve 3 tbsp of the grease.

Open the beans and thoroughly drain them. They should be as dry as you can get them. In a large bowl combine beans, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mustard, honey, and brown sugar. Mix well. Taste for flavor. If they need to be a bit sweeter, add more honey or brown sugar. For more color or tartness, add a little more mustard.

Once the flavor is to your liking, add the onion and mix well. Now you have an option, you can ether eat the bacon, or crumble it up and put it into the beans.

Next, add 3 tbsp of the bacon grease to the beans and stir well. Transfer to an oven safe baking dish.

At this point you can refrigerate the beans until ready for use. When you’re ready, bake in a 350 (F) degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

Notes

These are a sweet flavored baked bean. The secret to making them great is the bacon grease. Because of this, you’ll want to use the best bacon you can find. You’ll want a bacon with decent fat content so that you get at least 3 tbsp of grease, and also a bacon with a deep smokey flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sometimes the simplest are the best! I have done some similar to this in the past, always good!
Thanks!

lilylove

going to a pig roast this weekend and will be bringing these!

They sound great!!!

Thanks!!!!

lilylove

I have a batch waiting on the cupboard to be baked. They taste great now and I'm sure they'll taste even better after the baking!

I sauted the onions in the bacon grease before adding to the beans and
added extra brown sugar, honey and a little ketchup because they were just a little dry. I like a lot of sauce with my beans.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I'm surprised this old recipe came back to life. I hope everyone likes these. They really are easy to do, and taste great (IMHO). How did you like them Lily?