What's the best way to scramble eggs ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I like to make eggs in the microwave butmy family complains about the smell. I'm lazy to use a pan because of the cleanup.

So, I saw an infomercial and they used a sandwich grill and the egg with cheese and cut up peppers looked good, then when I tried it, it stuck and was hard to wash off, even in the dishwasher. I had used a non stick spray and was considering using oil, then I said to myself, I could have just used a small pan, then!

I think my family should just hold their collective noses !!! Nothing beats two eggs, beaten in a plastic disposable bowl, nuked, then eaten & trashed in the exact same container.

What does everyone think?

Leni

Boy, are you going to get a reaction to this post. :smile: I side with your family. I scramble my eggs in a CI skillet. It's well seasoned so it's nonstick. I add a little milk when I scramble them in a bowl. Others add a little water. It makes them fluffier. I tried cooking them in the micro but didn't like the texture.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Microwave? I've tried that - they have some kind of dry, mealy, weird texture. It gives me the impression of powdered eggs.

I beat them well in a small bowl with CREAM, salt & pepper. Put them in a pan with some melted butter, over gentle heat. Never scramble eggs on high!

When they start to set on the bottom, use a rubber scraper to lift and turn the eggs in clumps. You want to keep the curds as large as you can. Do this gently a few times, until the eggs are nearly set.

If you want to add ingredients, now it the time to fold them in - they must be precooked. Some of my favorites are sauteed mushrooms, scallions, ham, grated cheese.

Get them on the plate before they look completely done - they keep cooking for a few minutes.

If you cook them on high heat, or cook them too long, the proteins squeeze all of the moisture out of the eggs. You get hard little nubs of egg swimming in a watery mess.

These pics aren't all from the same batch, but you get the idea here.

Attachments

• scrambled egg demp (10).jpg
    scrambled egg demp (10).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 200
  • scrambled egg demp (12).jpg
    scrambled egg demp (12).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 205
  • scrambled egg demp (13).jpg
    scrambled egg demp (13).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 198
  • scrambled egg demp (14).jpg
    scrambled egg demp (14).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 193
  • scrambled egg with ham cheese (5).jpg
    scrambled egg with ham cheese (5).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 210

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Low & slow - the French actually scramble their eggs in double broiler - learned that from Ina

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nuked, yes... they're GOOD that way if you do it right.
In a CI skillet, only I don't whisk to scramble them first, I do it after they're dropped in the skillet.
Seems there are a lot of ways to scramble the humble egg.

Leni

If it is well seasoned it's almost nonstick. If cleanup is what your concern is I'd get a nonstick skillet and use it just for eggs.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I always use a non-stick pan. CI can be good if it's old and HEAVILY seasoned - really really black. But if it's not, it can discolor the eggs and make them look sort of grey.

I find non-stick easier for eggs - all the residue just wipes out with a paper towel, then wash as usual.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It could be that your surface is worn. How old are they?

I've found that teflon/silverstone/nonstick pans are only good for a few years before they need replacing. That's why most chefs buy heavy, but inexpensive, aluminum, non-stick pans and replace them when they lose their 'slickness'.

Brands like Tramontina & T-fal make a decent quality non-stick skillet for a low price. You can often find a set of 2 or 3 sizes for under $30 at Costco, BJ's, Sam's, etc. Just toss them out after 3-5 years and replace them.

Phiddlechik

I just got a couple of French saute pans, Circulon Contempo, and they work like a dream. Lately, I've just scrambled the eggs in a bowl, and don't add any liquid. Place some butter in the pan, when it quits sizzling, pour in the eggs. Let set a bit, then stir. Salt, pepper, and a bit of American cheese melted in. Clean up with a paper towel. Sometimes I will add a couple of drops of water, bit of butter on top of eggs, place a lid on it and let it steam for a minute.

Leni

'Time to take myself shopping !!!!! '

Sounds like it. SS my CI are all antiques. The ones I use the most have been used by three generations so they really are ink black. All it normally takes is a little hot water and a brush to clean them.

Wart

Banned
Eggs in the Nuke are too much like processed cra ... 'food'.

I put a little water in a bowl, add garlic granules, pepper of some type, then add the egg and beat. Then add the rest of the water.

I've found spices on eggs clump together and take lots of beating to get them evenly dispersed. Putting the spice in water tends to make the spice clump lots less.

I use a CI skillet with LOTS of butter, oil, whatever. After putting the eggs in hte pan there is a ring of oil, bacon fat, whatever, around the perimeter.

Whatever has gotten stuck to the sides has come off pretty easily.

Leni

I usually cook the bacon first and then scramble the eggs in the same pan after pouring off any excess fat. The residue gives the eggs a nice bacon flavor.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I usually cook the bacon first and then scramble the eggs in the same pan after pouring off any excess fat. The residue gives the eggs a nice bacon flavor.
..and colour..

Well, not for scrambled.. but I like to fry my eggs in the same after makin' bacon..:wub:

2010-10-11 17-32-27.895.jpg

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Truth be told, the main reason I nuke my eggs in a disposable bowl is because I don't need to add any fat for the cooking. The 2nd, although it's a strong second, is the cleanup factor.

Leni

Very little fat is needed in a nonstick pan if any. Soak it for a few minutes and everything should just wipe off.

I'll cut bacon into bite sized pieces, fry them till almost done, drain the excess fat, then drop an egg on top. I fry it covered until the white is done. I get a piece of bacon with each bite along with the great flavor in the pan. Add a crossant with my home made apricot jam and I'm in heaven.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Once again, you all were right ... I got myself a new non stick pan and it cooked up my eggs fine and cleaned easily.

Thanks !!!!

mrpasta

hold the spatula to the top of the eggs and lightly stir over and around keep stirring until eggs are cooked but not dry leave them a little juicy for extra added taste:chef:

AllenOK

Lets see......

Ladle about 1 1/2 - 2 c clarified butter onto the flattop. Open 6 qts liquid eggs. Spray two 4" half pans with Pam. Pour eggs onto flattop, and start working the eggs with spats to keep them from overflowing into the grease trap. When the eggs are semi-set, scoop into the half pans. Wrap and into the hot boxes for service.

Opps, that was my b'fast prep at the retirement home.

I'm like everyone else. Heat a nonstick skillet. Add some oil/butter, then pour some freshly scrambled eggs into the pan. Use a Silicone spat (rubber spats melt, metal ones scratch the nonstick coating) to stir the eggs until done to taste.