Chicken Maque Choux (Chef Paul Prudhomme's)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
After learning of the recent death of Chef Paul Prudhomme, I vowed I would make, in his honor, one the recipes from the cookbook I have of his [ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Prudhomme-Family-Cookbook-Louisiana/dp/0688075495[/ame]

My experience with Paul's recipes are that they are NOT for the time-challenged and/or people who don't like to cook. This recipe, as are the others I've tried, requires a lot of prep and a lot of stirring and scraping, since stuff is cooked over high heat to generate carmelization and fond.

This particular recipe is three pages long and takes two days.

I will email photos of the pages of my book to anyone who is interested, but can't post photo'd recipes here due to copyrights.

I've always wanted to try a maque choux, and since I had a package of 4 chicken thighs, this was perfect.

The only short cut I took was to use one cup of canned tomato puree (the Italians around here just call it "Kitchen Ready", and if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!)

I used four ears of corn ... three would have been enough.

I went mild with the cayenne.

The dish was excellent, of course - the chicken falling off the bone.

Thank you, Chef Paul!

Lee

Attachments

• 1 Canned tomato puree.JPG
    1 Canned tomato puree.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 377
  • 2 corn off cob.JPG
    2 corn off cob.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 3 corn mixture.JPG
    3 corn mixture.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 4 Chicken tops.JPG
    4 Chicken tops.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 5 Chicken bottoms.JPG
    5 Chicken bottoms.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 6 Chicken maque choux over rice.JPG
    6 Chicken maque choux over rice.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 373

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
zats' jummy lookin! I've seen the dish on menus - never done it at home - but it's on my list.

there's a whole pile of on-line recipes, some attributed to K-Paul. this one is "adapted" from the Family cookbook - how does it compare with the book itself?
http://www.recipes.wuzzle.org/index.php/49/474

calls for chicken breast - but I'm with you, I'd prefer thighs.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's VERY close, ChowderMan!

Paul used 2 cut-up whole chickens, and browned the pieces for 25 minutes (I did that with the thighs). He also used the neck and giblets - I did not.

The person adapting the recipe used breasts, so wisely cut the browning time in half.

Paul (and I) used fresh corn off the cob.

Otherwise, I think the person who posted the adaptation did a great job paring down the recipe to the essentials!

Thank you!

Lee

Last edited: