Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Introductions And Questions Forum

Introductions And Questions Forum Ask anything about cooking here. From how to boil water to how to make gourmet desserts etc...

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting peeved at the food store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
I have a WalMart about a half of a block from me and have never bought vegetables or meats there. I will buy canned goods and condiments and have order live lobster through them but that is about it. I find all of their meats are pumped with salt water and I've never been impressed with their produce.

The Miejer's here gets their produce from local growers with it being super fresh but what is in season. Kroger's has always been good for produce and meats. Whole Foods here is really more expensive than Kroger's but everything is organic. I also can get fresh fish at Whole Foods to but it is very expensive.

We have a farmer's market here too and I get my beef and pork from one of the vendors usually in half rough butchered. Just great stuff but not year around.
Iím rather impressed with Kroegerís meat selection myself. Publix also has great meat, but are a little pricey compared to Kroeger. I donít have a Miejer or Whole Foods here. Iíve heard so much abut Whole Foods that Iíd really like to try it.

A new Publix opened a few miles from the house that we have been using primarily here lately. They are really great about doing special cuts in the butcher department if you ask them.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Derek is on a distinguished road
Style: pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
A lot of colleges have agriculture departments that student can get produce from. I don't know what area you are in but here the UK has a large one that also shows up at the farmer market when going.
We have one here in Michigan as well, I'll have to get the directions to where it is, and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin View Post
Iím rather impressed with Kroegerís meat selection myself. Publix also has great meat, but are a little pricey compared to Kroeger. I donít have a Miejer or Whole Foods here. Iíve heard so much abut Whole Foods that Iíd really like to try it.

A new Publix opened a few miles from the house that we have been using primarily here lately. They are really great about doing special cuts in the butcher department if you ask them.
You wouldn't want a Miejers Let me tell you, Miejers here SUCK, It sucks really really bad the food is over priced and the deals suck, I mean they say your getting half off but they mark up a lot of the stuff so they can mark it down to the normal price.

I hope you understood what I mean by the mark up and down game!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Dough Boy

JoeV will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post
For meats I go to our local family owned grocer....I can get want I want from them. I also go to a local butcheress (is that a word?) it's two women that have run their own butcher shop. I don't have problems with the meats.

As for the produce it's just that I don't like them pre-picking for me. I'd like to pick my own of whatever. We've got alot of Farmers Markets here come summer but I'll have my own garden going by then and won't have to worry about it.

I'm not crazy about Heinen's......I don't want to have to drive any distance just to buy produce.
I think Barb & Patty are BUTCHerettes, if you get my drift. I like going there because they will cut anything in the meat case for a two person meal, unlike Giant Eagle. Their sausages are excellent, rivaling the ethnic meat shops like Radells and Ozmans. As far as Heinens, their stuff is nice, but the prices are a bit high. FYI, B&P's is past Heinens on Mentor Ave. (Local info only)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Restaurant Chef

homecook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I think Barb & Patty are BUTCHerettes, if you get my drift. I like going there because they will cut anything in the meat case for a two person meal, unlike Giant Eagle. Their sausages are excellent, rivaling the ethnic meat shops like Radells and Ozmans. As far as Heinens, their stuff is nice, but the prices are a bit high. FYI, B&P's is past Heinens on Mentor Ave. (Local info only)
You are so bad!!!
I've never tried their sausages......I usually go to Rudy's in Willowick because I've gone there for years. I'll have to give B&P's a try!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style

We have two Miejer's here though I'm only visited the one closest to me. I never heard of them until I came to Kentucky as don't exist in other states I've lived in through the years.

The one I go to is excellent though I don't buy a lot of meats from them unless I get it directly from the butcher shop at the meat counter. They do have a full time butcher which is unusual in this day and age. I actually rarely buy beef and pork except from a local grower that I know. I will occasionally buy a cut though if it is a good looking piece of meat though.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
You are so bad!!!
I've never tried their sausages......I usually go to Rudy's in Willowick because I've gone there for years. I'll have to give B&P's a try!
I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. Rudy's is good. I buy the Slovenian smoked sausages there. Also, I get my hair cut at the barber shop next door.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. Rudy's is good. I buy the Slovenian smoked sausages there. Also, I get my hair cut at the barber shop next door.
I get the fresh garlic kielbasa! Dh used to get his hair cut their also....when we lived out there. The one brother lives right around the corner from you and us.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Tortes Are Us

PieSusan is on a distinguished road

Barb and Patty use to be on Mayfield Rd and I use to go there all the time. They use to make smoked chicken as well as smoked turkey. I wondered where they moved to.

Maida Heatter is still with us. G-d bless her.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Tortes Are Us

JoeV, did you ever try the butcher shop in E 185th--I am not sure it is still there but they use to make their own sausage as well. I believe they are related to the DeGaetano family. (if I spelled that right) Actually, there were two shops really near one another.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Barb and Patty use to be on Mayfield Rd and I use to go there all the time. They use to make smoked chicken as well as smoked turkey. I wondered where they moved to.
They've been out in MOL and Mentor for the past 20 some years.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
I get the fresh garlic kielbasa! Dh used to get his hair cut their also....when we lived out there. The one brother lives right around the corner from you and us.
Paul lives over by me, and he can't cut hair worth a shit. I looked like a stepladder on the back of my head when he used to cut my hair, so now only Frank does it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
JoeV, did you ever try the butcher shop in E 185th--I am not sure it is still there but they use to make their own sausage as well. I believe they are related to the DeGaetano family. (if I spelled that right) Actually, there were two shops really near one another.
I'm not allowed back in that neighborhood for reasons which I shall not elaborate on.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
Paul lives over by me, and he can't cut hair worth a shit. I looked like a stepladder on the back of my head when he used to cut my hair, so now only Frank does it.
I agree! He gave us a hard time when we first took son there for his first haircut....he didn't want to put up with a child. Jerk!!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
#coffeefreak

Thanked 12,195 Times in 5,202 Posts
Sass Muffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lol
Old 04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
I'm not allowed back in that neighborhood for reasons which I shall not elaborate on.
It used to be a great neighborhood!! Are you the cause of it's ruin??
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Private Home Cook

rickismom is on a distinguished road

Around here in the PNW it's all pretty readily available shipped either from Mexico or California. The freshness of it is another thing, it just depends on which store you go to. For my "regular" grocery items I go to one store but their produce and meat isn't exactly the greatest so then I go somewhere else....
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Restaurant Chef

lilylove is on a distinguished road

WHERE DO YOU GO Rickismom? Unless we go down town to Pikes Market... Fresh is hard to find around here !! Freds is the WORST!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Dough Boy

Quote:
It used to be a great neighborhood!! Are you the cause of it's ruin??
Let's just say I didn't help stabilize it.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Tortes Are Us

Quote:
They've been out in MOL and Mentor for the past 20 some years.
I thought they left the business.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Tortes Are Us

Quote:
Oopsie! You know I had clients and cases from out of those bars which shall remain nameless.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Private Home Cook

rickismom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilylove View Post
WHERE DO YOU GO Rickismom? Unless we go down town to Pikes Market... Fresh is hard to find around here !! Freds is the WORST!!!!
It's usually Safeway or Top Foods....not in Iss though. The Front Street Market also has pretty good produce and seafood as well, much better than Freds!