Tired of beef/pork/chicken/beef/pork/chicken.

High Cheese

Saucier
Yeah, I throw some fish in there too. But I'm real bored of the "standard after work" entrees.

I can't do veal, lamb is 'ok' but get's expensive. What else could I venture into? Even if I have to order it from the butcher like quail or something. I just need some ideas. :mrgreen:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Deer season is close if not already hear and venison is excellent. I also would go more sea foods if you are bored with the standard fair. You could also find different ways to cook the meats. Personally none of the bird meat is an alternative for me at all.

bowlingshirt

squeezable-bacon.jpg

phreak

No, but I want to.

it's pretty easy to make...I stole this recipe off a spearfishing forum, it's AWESOME!

- any kind of fish or shellfish cut into small pieces
- fresh garlic
- sweet onion
- nice red tomatoes
- jalepenao pepper ( or a GOOD hotsauce -NOT tobassco or Red Hott)
- cilantro
- fresh limes
- olive oil
- salt/pepper

fish:
any kind of tasty white fish, cut into small chunks so that it "cooks" faster. amount depends on the total amount you want to make. i find that a mix of 3cups of fish and 3cups of salsa makes a good proportion and enough to feed 4 or 5 hungry guys.

put the fish chunks in a bowl and squeeze fresh limes over it. i use about 2 limes per cup of fish. add a good amount of salt and if you want a clove or 2 of garlic.
note: the salt and garlic are optional

salsa:
take the seeds out of the tomatoes as best you can, just squeeze them over the garbage, this prevents too much liquid in the salsa. dice them as fine as you can get them. finely dice the onion and add to the tomatoes. i find a 50/50 mix of tomatoes to onion works great. if you like less onion...alter to your taste. FINELY mince the jalepeno pepper (don't touch your eyes after) and add it. i find a single large pepper works good for a 6cp batch of ceviche. if you use hotsauce instead of the pepper, make sure it's a GOOD sauce. not some vinegary crap like Tobassco. theRing of Fire Hot Sauce is my favorite.

dice up fresh cilantro, a good amount. some people don't like cilantro so adjust it to your taste. i usually do about a half handfull, add some and mix it all together then let it set and the flavors mix before adjusting it. and add a clove or 2 or fresh garlic and add to the mix. squeeze one fresh lime over the mixture and drizzle a little olive oil, maybe 2 tblspoons or so, and add a good pinch of salt and black pepper. mix well and let it set in the cooler or fridge for a few hours to mix all the flavors. shake or stir occasionally.

when the fish has "cooked" draiin off the juice and add it to the salsa. stir it toghether and for best taste let it sit for 20 or 30 mins to let the salsa flavor penetrate the fish.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would look at game meat - venison, game birds, boar or even something like buffalo. You could even try something vegetarian - Vyapti has posted some amazing veggie stuff.

High Cheese

Saucier
How about goat or oxtail soup?

Soup is ok, but I get tired of it pretty fast. And for some reason I've nearly lost a taste for "comfort foods" like fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

Hey Phreak, would it be best to use say a thick fish like halibut? Halibut and shrimp? When the shrimp are completely white it's done, right? Say 3 hours?

phreak

Any fish will work. Personally I would stay away from "fishy" fish. Good shrimp work just fine. I know the recipe says to cut fish into "chunks". I actually cut it to almost a "dice".

phreak

I would dice them up. Shrimp might get a little chewy so you will want them diced up pretty small. I know for a fact scallops are great in ceviche. 3 hours is a good amount of time to start with.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Any venison - cook the same way you would the beef. I like a roasted haunch (top of back leg) myself.

My boys love venison sausages.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The back strap is my favorite cut of venison and I try to get one every year. I had a roasted haunch last year as I got the whole hind quarter. Venison sausage I have in my freezer right now.

chowhound

Yep. Backstrap. I don't know if this is an actual cut you can buy in a store, but it is a choice cut from anyone who processes deer during the season. Everybody likes the backstrap. Very tender.

chowhound

I was wondering if that was its "technical" name myself. I know when I had my deer processed, I never got anything marked tenderloin, but I got cuts labeled backstrap.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never purchased venison in a store all of mine is given by my hunter gather friends and family. My son brings us at least one back strap a year while a buddy in Texas brings one when he comes to visit us here in Kentucky. He also brings boudin from Louisiana and sausage both deer and Louisiana types.