beer thread ...

Love2"Q"

a thread for all things beer ..
i am trying 2 new beers tonight ..
and will be having one of my favorites for grilling ...
first one ..
aventinus .. german wheat doppelbock ..
this is a fantastic beer .. not really heavy and has a definite fruit
undertone .. and at 8.2% its got a kick ..
its also bottle fermented which i really like ..

next one ..belhaven scottish ale .. never had it so i will
report on it later ..
and we also have skull splitter ..also a scottish brew ..
really excited about this one ..
what beers do you enjoy

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was at a Brew Pub last night and tried a couple new to me beers. BBC (Bluegrass Beer Club I think) in Louisville. I'm fond of Pale Ales. BBC had a good one. Plus they had a Raspberry beer that had hardly any hops in it but a high alcohol content. They served it in a wine glass. :eek: it was popular with the gals. And the food was good. Fun place overall. :thumb:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I'm not much of a beer person. I only keep it around to cook with. Occasionally I like an ice cold Carta Blanca, Corona, or Sol.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
newcastle brown ale only if its on tap

leinenkugel's sunset wheat only on tap (wisconsin beer)

have had a lot of different beers but i mostly like the micro brewery ones.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Every once in a while I'll have a beer, I'm mostly a wine person. Tsing Tao is my favorite beer....so far, lol

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Put me down for Belgian Chimay Blue or draught Guinness - room temp is fine by me. :beer:

Biskit

Jeeze! You high-falutin folks haven't even mentioned MGD or Old Milwaukee! Guess I ain't got squat for taste in beers. :unsure:

Biskit

Never done Blatz. Not a big fan of Bud, but it's not bad. Hot day, cold beer! What could be better?? :alc:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Never done Blatz. Not a big fan of Bud, but it's not bad. Hot day, cold beer! What could be better?? :alc:

I don't do AB products. They add sugar.

Growing up in Wisconsin every little burg had its own brewery (or two). The legal age was 18 and all of us 15 year old kids had 18 year old friends. You can fill in the blanks. :wink:

PanchoHambre

Hmm I really like beer... I'll drink crud but if I have my druthers I like Pale Ale's, Lager's and Bocks.

The only beers I generally don't like are the super sweet heavy ones.

My favorite in Texas was Shiner Bock... sweet but not too much so.. .will give an evil headache though.. I really love the stuff.. have smuggled it back in my carry on sadly cant get it north or MD... I will drive down there and fill the truck one of these days.

PA has some nice breweries Philadelphia Brewing Company is right down the street and I love their product. makes me happy because they split ownership with Yards (who I do not like and it sucked hating your local brewery)

Other PA breweries I really like are Slyfox and Troegs

I like Lagunitas fro CA quite a bit as well

and another Left Coast brewing Co Rouges especially the "Dead Guy Ale"

for all of these companies I have yet to find a beer they make I don't like

What I do not like are spiced beers... beers that taste like strange fruits and overwhelmingly heavy Belgian style ales.

bullseye

Draught Guinness, preferably drawn in Ireland, is hands down the best in my book. After that, I like many beers. I often do a good IPA like Harpoon or Sierra Nevada; the Belgians are great except for the more floral or flavoured ones; a decent lager is nice on a hot day, but I generally steer clear. Rarely will I do a stout other than Guinness--they all seem to be too sweet. I am definitely a fan of the Aventinus Love2"Q" mentioned. Did I mention I like beer?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Draught Guinness, preferably drawn in Ireland, is hands down the best in my book.

Ditto! Been to the brewery. Funny thing though, DW & I found a Dublin pub where the dark stuff was even better leading me to believe that it needs to be aged a few hours. :thumb: LOL

Ronjohn

I don't do AB products. They add sugar.

Well, technically speaking... every brewer adds sugar. :tongue:

I tend to kind of change with the seasons. Lighter beers when it's warm, heaver as the cooler weather sets in.

I'll have to get some pictures of the brewing system and post them when it warms up a bit. Brewing operations are currently "Frozen" until further notice.

Lefty

Yank
I am a big fan of Ginness Draught, Samuels Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Samuels Smith's Oatmeal Stout, for a domestic I drink MDG. I used to like Lowennbrau but can't find it locally any more.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I am a big fan of Ginness Draught, Samuels Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Samuels Smith's Oatmeal Stout, for a domestic I drink MDG. I used to like Lowennbrau but can't find it locally any more.

SS Oatmeal Stout - big yes on that one. I've posted the following before but don't remember if it was on NCT. There is an ancient pub in Manchester, England called Sinclairs' where they have the complete SS lineup. I used to hang with the locals there and get my oatmeal fix. :alc:

YeOldeStonecat

Big fan of Stouts! Hey, I'm Irish.

Beamish is my fave. Hard to find here in the States though, so it's usually Guinness.

Samuel Smiths makes a buncha great ones.

Taddy Porters are fun too.

RNE228

This thread is useless without recipes:whistle: I have to look; can't remember if I posted pictures of my all grain system here or next door on forum forums...

This is, after all, a cooking forum. And beer, is made by cooking... If you can boil or simmer a big pot of soup or stew for an hour, you can brew beer:clap:

As far as beers go, commercially I like Obsidian Stout, SS Oatmeal Stout, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale(they have a great pub/resteraunt at the brewery), Red Tail Ale. Widmer Hefe on tap, at the pizza joint just down the street from the brewery in Portland(forgot the name...). Placerville Brewing has an awesome Vanilla Stout, and a very nice Golden Ale.

The best homebrew I have had, I only brewed once... I have been meaning to brew it again, but it is an expensive recipe. It a was a raspberry imperial stout. Oh my, it was soooooo good. It was very similar to the recipe in Pappazian's Hombrewer Companion. I need to convert that recipe to all grain...

I made a maple syrup stout for a while. It was a pretty simple extract recipe. It is in the early version of Cat's Meow on HBD.

Right now, I have 10 gallons of Pappazian's "Tit's up in the mud" Pale Ale dry hopping in the secondary. I need to keg or bottle that this weekend...

Y

YT2095

I drink "Kaliber" daily, it`s Alcohol free so I don`t have to worry about getting pissed and making a mistake in the Lab (and I have a child to look after too!) but I can still get my daily "Beer Fix" :)

on the RARE occasion that I go out, I`ll drink Guiness.

Ronjohn

This thread is useless without recipes:whistle:

I am NOT posting my witbier recipe! It's the only one I won't give out. :tongue:

It's a match for Hoegaarden and Celis White anyday. All the rest, I'll gladly share. Even the mead recipe that got me a bronze medal at the NHC in Chicago a few years back. :beer:

RNE228

I am NOT posting my witbier recipe! It's the only one I won't give out. :tongue:

It's a match for Hoegaarden and Celis White anyday. All the rest, I'll gladly share. Even the mead recipe that got me a bronze medal at the NHC in Chicago a few years back. :beer:

Well, this was not an award winner. But, it turned out pretty nice. It was my first self formulated recipe. It is still a nice recipe, although I might add more grains. This is from my days on Home Brew Digest, about '92. Had ben on there for a few years before though. It is still a good resource.

Maple Syrup Stout

Classification: stout, maple, extract

Source: Robert Issue #983, 10/5/92 Tasted good at bottling, although the maple flavor was masked by the "greenness" of the beer. It took a few weeks to age, but then the sweetness and light flavor of the maple syrup was perfect.
Ingredients:

• 6 pounds, dark extract (syrup)
  • 1--1/2 ounces, Bullion boiling hops
  • 12 ounces, MacDonalds Pure Maple Syrup (No, not Ronald McDonald syrup! ;-) )
  • 4 ounces, chocolate malt
  • 8 ounces, crystal malt
  • 1 pack, Whitbread Ale Yeast
  • 3/4 cup, corn sugar (priming)
Procedure:

Place the grains in 150 water, steep for 1/2 hour.

Remove grains.
Add extract syrup.
Bring to boil, and add hops.
I boiled for a full hour, adding the Maple syrup during the last five minutes of the boil, like a finishing hop. I didn't want to boil off the maple aroma. Ferment took place at about 65 degrees. this stuff fermented fast! I racked to the secondary in 48 hours, and then bottled five days later.

Ronjohn

...Home Brew Digest...

Wow.. I haven't read HBD in a while now. I used to read the online html version, but then work blocked the site.

I've met Pat Babcock a few times (main HBD janitor) a few times. He doesn't live too far from me. In fact, he helped me find my first homebrew club and got me into kegging.

(Think my wife may still be a little upset with hime over that last part)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Maple Syrup Stout

Classification: stout, maple, extract

Source: Robert Issue #983, 10/5/92 Tasted good at bottling, although the maple flavor was masked by the "greenness" of the beer. It took a few weeks to age, but then the sweetness and light flavor of the maple syrup was perfect.

oooo! RNE, that's one I would love to taste!

Lee

RNE228

Wow.. I haven't read HBD in a while now. I used to read the online html version, but then work blocked the site.

I've met Pat Babcock a few times (main HBD janitor)
I was on HBD before the WWW. We used to get it only as an email digest. I was on there before Jack Schmidling shook things up:huh:

I met some folks from around Sacramento from HBD. We had some homebrew tastings. I got to know Martin Lodahl from the early HBD days.

I do not go there so much in a long time. I go in cycles brewing... recently got back in the groove. I need to update my system; I melted part of my cooler/mashtun...:bonk: You can not get them that cloase to the 125000btu burners when you're heating water:oops:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Favorites

Belgian Lambics, dessert sipping beers
Ommegang - except their attempt at duplicating fruit lambics
Boulevard (KC, Kansas) Wheat
I like most porters and stouts, except SS and Guiness.

Legend Brown is a pretty good local (Richmond) beer.

There is a new brewery along 85 around Greensboro which I would like to try, problem is, sold only on tap or in growlers at the brewery. Anybody tried their beers? I think it is called Red Oak.

Rusty Shackleford

Formerly known as 1 bourbon 1 scotch & 1 beer
I was at a Brew Pub last night and tried a couple new to me beers. BBC (Bluegrass Beer Club I think) in Louisville. I'm fond of Pale Ales. BBC had a good one. Plus they had a Raspberry beer that had hardly any hops in it but a high alcohol content. They served it in a wine glass. :eek: it was popular with the gals. And the food was good. Fun place overall. :thumb:

Sounds like a barleywine, Doc. good stuff.

Jeeze! You high-falutin folks haven't even mentioned MGD or Old Milwaukee! Guess I ain't got squat for taste in beers. :unsure:

fridge is constantley stocked with either strohs lite or natty lite! cant beat the price!

thats because they dont send it over here to us no more. kinda like amstel. you can only get amstel light, not the full amstel, or any others, lowenbrau is no longer available in the US :(

THERE. i think im caught up now :D

as for me, other than the normal domestic lagers, i like to have a couple variations of micro and craft brews in the fridge as well. currently i have Railbender Ale, Hop Hog, and Shock Top. not too impressed over the latter two, but the Railbender is very nice. has fruity tones, and a smooth down.