Memorial Day Weekend Coming Up!

Dogboa

Will you be firing up the grill or smoker? I'll be doing some andouille, tasso and probably a sausage of choice. We are down to 1 stick of andouille and the tasso is gone.
sad.gif

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I'm hoping to fire up my smoker and cook some ribs, maybe a turkey breast, and cherry-smoke some bacon. Maybe a few ABT's.

First work holiday since New Year's Day!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We're going to the lake and will be grilling.
Weather is supposed to be nice too.
Sunny and 70s.

Dogboa

I have made the curing mix for the tasso and coated the butt slices last night. They will cure until Sunday. They get turned twice a day.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We're doing boneless chicken breasts, brats and burgers.
Potato salad, chips, baked beans etc..
The usual stuff.

Ironman

🍺
Me, too. I'll also make a potato salad,maybe the Austrian one. I'll smoke some chicken wings for myself.

I'll use hickory and plum for smoke.

Oh yeah, almost forgot that! I have a dozen older eggs in the fridge that will come in handy for that. I'll use my sous vide recipe for the eggs (they come out perfect). JoeV's recipe for potato salad is my go to now. Love it!

Dogboa

Yesterday was a busy one. I made up the seasoning for the andoulli, cut 25# of boneless pork butt into 1" cubes, mixed the fresh garlic and seasoning into 5# batches of the pork, put each batch into 2 gallon bags, and put all of it into the fridge for today. I also got the Horizon prepped. This morning I pulled the tasso out to warm up as it will be the first thing on the smoker. I'll be using pecan and hickory for these batches.
wink.gif

We are having a smoked chicken stew for a later in the week meal, so I pulled out some chicken thighs to go on later. Of course pics will follow.

Johnny West

I miss the family picnics at the park, driving around to get the old folks, and fishing with my grandfather. Maybe I'll watch some racing today.

:bbq3:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Slight change of plans here.
Won't be going to the lake, but the grilling/ menu is still on.
Backyard instead of Grand Lake lol

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I smoked a mini Pork-a-palooza.

A 3.5 pound chunk of pork butt, some pork belly, one rack of babybacks, a few ABT's and the rest of the pound of bacon.

It was fun! :clap:

Lee

Attachments

• Pork butt, 3.5 pounds.JPG
    Pork butt, 3.5 pounds.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Pork butt smoked.JPG
    Pork butt smoked.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Pulled pork.JPG
    Pulled pork.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Pork belly whole.JPG
    Pork belly whole.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Pork belly smoked.JPG
    Pork belly smoked.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Pork belly, braised.JPG
    Pork belly, braised.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Ribs, smoked.JPG
    Ribs, smoked.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Bacon, smoked.JPG
    Bacon, smoked.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 90

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That Andouille looks wonderful, Craig - great job!

Lee

Dogboa

What all do you use that for? Gumbo probably, but what else?

We use it in jambalaya, pasta with tasso cream sauce, Chicken Tchoupitoulas (chop-pit-too-las), as a flavoring in stews, etc. Unlike andouille, you don't eat tasso straight up. Even with the spices rinsed off, it is very spicy. I personally have never used tasso in a gumbo. We haven't tried it yet, but Paul Prudhomme (RIP) has a recipe for mirliton pirogue with a tasso and oyster hollandaise.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The pasta with tasso cream sauce sounds good to me. It may be a little too hot/spicy for me though.

My first taste of andouille was at Commander's Palace eons ago. They took some andouille, sliced it lengthwise and browned it, topped it with a poached egg, and covered it with hollandaise sauce. It was one of those, "Give me your fork. You've got to taste this," moments. I love the stuff.

Ha! A lot of people don't even know what mirlitons are. Four of us were playing Scattergories one night, and I said "mirlitons" for vegetables that start with M. Three out of four said there was no such thing, so I got voted down. I just shook my head :ermm:.

Dogboa

The pasta with tasso cream sauce sounds good to me. It may be a little too hot/spicy for me though.

My first taste of andouille was at Commander's Palace eons ago. They took some andouille, sliced it lengthwise and browned it, topped it with a poached egg, and covered it with hollandaise sauce. It was one of those, "Give me your fork. You've got to taste this," moments. I love the stuff.

Ha! A lot of people don't even know what mirlitons are. Four of us were playing Scattergories one night, and I said "mirlitons" for vegetables that start with M. Three out of four said there was no such thing, so I got voted down. I just shook my head :ermm:.

If Emeril was the Head chef at that time, then the recipe I made is what you had. His recipe in NO Real and Rustic is the recipe we like best. Most folks would know mirlitons by the other name chayote.