Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce (Pressure Cooker)

FryBoy

Made this for dinner last night -- very easy and it was delicious! Printable copy attached.

Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce

(Pressure Cooker Recipe)

3 medium onions
4 large carrots
2 tablespoons oil
½ cup water or beef broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
½ cup raisins
1 bay leaf
1 3-pound flat-cut brisket, trimmed of all fat
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Peel onions, cut into ½-inch thick slices, and cut slices in half crosswise.

2. Peel carrots and cut into ½-inch thick rounds.

3. Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.

4. Add sliced onions and sliced carrots to pan and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.

5. Add water or broth, brown sugar, carrots, raisins, and bay leaf to pan and stir to combine.

6. Rinse meat, pat dry, season on both sides with salt and pepper, and lay the meat on top of the onions & carrots.

7. Cover and lock pressure cooker lid into place; turn heat to high and bring to high pressure.

8. Reduce heat to maintain high pressure and cook for one hour.

9. Remove pan from heat and allow pressure to drop naturally, about 15 to 20 minutes, before removing lid.

10. Remove meat to cutting board and cover with foil to keep warm.

11. Remove and discard bay leaf; bring onions, carrots, and sauce to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes, until liquid is reduced by about half; skim off any fat that accumulates and discard.

12. Slice meat across the grain into ¼-inch thick slices, return to pan to reheat if needed, and serve with sauce.

Attachments

• Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce.pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 325
  • Kuhn Rikon 5-Quart Pressure Cooker.jpg
    Kuhn Rikon 5-Quart Pressure Cooker.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce #1.jpg
    Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce #1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce #2.jpg
    Brisket with Onion-Raisin Sauce #2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 172

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple of questions for you Doug. How large a pressure cooker is shown. Also you don't release the pressure via the release valve but let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before releasing and removing the lid?

FryBoy

I have a couple of questions for you Doug. How large a pressure cooker is shown. Also you don't release the pressure via the release valve but let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before releasing and removing the lid?
That's a 5 quart PC, which was barely adequate for this recipe.

There are three basic methods for releasing pressure from a PC: 1) Quick, using the valve, 2) Water, placing the PC in the sink and allowing cold water to pour over it, and 3) Natural, just letting it sit until the heat drops and the pressure dissipates. The latter is the easiest and the safest.

Different recipes call for different methods as it affects the cooking time and temperature of the food.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I thought it looked a bit larger than my 4qt, but a bit smaller than my 6qt just couldn't tell from the picture. The reason I asked about the pressure is mine has a knob you turn to simply release the pressure with and will not open till all pressure is released.