Colored eggs question?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I color eggs every Easter. I just love them!

They are so beautiful when first colored, but when I put them in the fridge, they get some condensation on them and sweat and get spotted and streaked.

How can I prevent that?

They DO have to go in the fridge, right?

I could swear that we kept the colored eggs on the kitchen counter at my grandmother's house when I was little.

Lee
Easter Eggs 2011.JPG

Last edited:

pharmerphil

I reckon when I was young I ate easter eggs out of my basket for a few days...without refrigeration...probably not the best idea..
But since then...I Never had the streaking problem..but I can say that most commercially available brands have been cleaned with chemicals and need to be rinsed with a vinegar/water solution first...I guess the best answer would be EAT EM' Quick

Have You, Or any of Us here, Gone NATURAL??

All Natural Coloring: Instead of using the traditional color kit this year, try these natural ingredients to give your eggs a vibrant hue. Best of all, you'll find most of these items in your pantry or refrigerator.

Here are the ingredients for a variety of natural tones:

Yellow: 3 tablespoons turmeric, 4 cups water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar

Blue: 4 cups red cabbage, 4 cups water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar

Purple: 4 cups cranberries, 4 cups cranberry juice, 2 tablespoons white vinegar

Lime Green: 2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, two cups water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar

Red/Pink: 2 cans beets, 2 tablespoons vinegar

There are two approaches to cooking the eggs and the dyes. The first is to hard-cook the eggs and let them cool. (Watch the video on how to cook perfectly-done eggs.). Then bring the ingredients for the desired color to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain mixture and let it cool to room temperature. Place the eggs in the dye for 15 minutes. For the most vibrant color, refrigerate the eggs in dye cups overnight.

A second method is to boil the raw eggs and the ingredients for the selected dye color together. Let eggs and ingredients simmer for 15 to 30 minutes, then remove the eggs from the pan.

2. Rubber Band Designs: Wrap elastic bands of various widths around hard cooked eggs, then drop the eggs in food-coloring dye until the desired color is achieved. Next, remove the eggs, pat dry with paper towel and remove the rubber bands. Allow the dye to dry slightly and then drop the egg into a different color dye to create a cool tie-dyed effect.

3. Stickers: Place stickers on hard-cooked eggs to create perfectly-shaped polka-dot, letters, or even bunny rabbits. Choose your shape, stick it on, and then dip the egg in dye until the egg changes shades. Remove the egg from the dye and let it dry. Once it's dry, remove the sticker and re-dip in a different color if you wish.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I remember putting colored eggs into our Easter baskets on the "grass" when they cooled and leaving them until the next day. We never got sick either, but I wouldn't do that now.

I wonder if you cooled them completely on the counter before putting them in the refrigerator if that would solve the consensation problem. Your eggs came out very pretty. We would always have some of the eggs come out brown because we'd go wild dipping them in every color imaginable :mrgreen:.

Pharmerphil, I've never tried that. It seems like a lot of stuff to use for coloing just a few eggs. Neat idea though!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
don't know about "today's new & improved" dyes - but the old style were tablets, you had to use water & vinegar. we always dyed ours while the eggs were still warm.

never had the runs problem . . .
(gag, bad yolk . . . )

for hard boiled eggs, the yolk solidifies at roughly 158'F
to get the middle that hot, the outer portions must be even hotter.
salmonella is dead at 131'F

seems unlikely an unrefrigerated hard boiled egg is a serious health hazard for a day or two....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom puts crisco on them, then buffs w/ a paper towel. she puts vinegar in the h2o, also.
she won't put them in the fridge, either. condensation can make the eggs drip the colors. hence the crisco once the dyes set.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Phil, I have not tried the natural dyes. I always use the Paas kits and add vinegar.

I color cold cooked eggs and let them dry completely before putting them in the fridge.

I've not tried Crisco, but that sure may help preserve the color!

Thanks again, all!

Lee