Grillin

Johnny West

Last night I grilled bacon wrapped all beef hotdogs.
One long strip of baacon will just wrap a dog. The
bacon was held in place wit a tooth pick. The directions
said to soak them in water but that never works. They
were excellent. Of course my fire was to hot and burned
alder and hickory for smoke.
#######Dogs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny West

Saturday night I grilled/smoke cooked some leg quarters on the Weber. I used hickory chunks for smoke and then finished off with memphis sauce at the table. There was one left over and will have it for dinner tonight. :weber:
#######Chix Leg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, John, those leg quarters are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

BBQ competition-worthy!

Lee

chilefarmer

Great looking chicken, I do like leg 1/4's. Love the color and looks like crisp skin, the best part. Nice cook. CF:weber:

Johnny West

It's not crispy but is certainly well done. It has a wonderful smoke flavour and the meat has a smoked readness, was over 160 degrees F so know it was done.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My family does not like the crisp chicken skin much to my delight.

Wait, Leni ... do you mean that you get to have all their chicken skin, or do you mean that you cook chicken and don't care if the skin is crispy?

Smoked chicken skin is not crispy, unless you cook it directly over high heat at the end of the cook. Even then, crisping up smoked chicken skin and making it presentable is something competition bbq cooks agonize over.

Lee

Johnny West

This evenng I grilled boneless beef club ribs and just now put them in the foil to steam a bit. I used Rick's Real Pit BBQ Rub, sauced with Memphis sauce, and used hickory and fresh plum for smoke.

:bbq3:

Attachments

• #######Club Ribs IV.jpg
    #######Club Ribs IV.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,165
  • #######Club Ribs.jpg
    #######Club Ribs.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 1,163

Johnny West

These spent about an hour in foil and were tender and flavorful. With this cut of meat one takes a chance on tenderness.

Attachments

• #######Club Ribs V.jpg
    #######Club Ribs V.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,149

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That last photo is the "money shot". They look kind of like short ribs - mmmMMMM!

Lee

Johnny West

They are supposed to be meat cut from the beef chuck ribs and have been reasonably tender. The "club" part comes from what we used to call chuck steaks back in the 60's and early 70's.

Here's the money shot: rib, KFC slaw, and Alexia baked fries.

Attachments

• #######Club Ribs VI.jpg
    #######Club Ribs VI.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,167

Johnny West

Last night was fillet mignon with baked potato and endive salad on the side. The steaks were done over the coals with mesquite for smoke, had an unusual red crust from the smoke, and were quite good.

:weber:

Attachments

• #######Fillet Mig.jpg
    #######Fillet Mig.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,162

Johnny West

Last night I grilled coho salmon using the honey mustard glaze and it was excellent.

All the veg was from the CSA.

Attachments

• #######Glazed Salmon.jpg
    #######Glazed Salmon.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • #######Glazed Salmon MS .jpg
    #######Glazed Salmon MS .jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,133

Johnny West

Here is Saturday night's rib steaks and were excellent.
Ann likes her's well done. JT

Attachments

• #######Rib I.jpg
    #######Rib I.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • #######Rib II.jpg
    #######Rib II.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,144

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rib steaks are my favorite steak!

Good to see you back in the grilling saddle again, John!

Lee

Johnny West

I'd like a thicker Delmonico cut but hard to find here. The one time we got the bison Delmonico's from Stewarts Meats were the best ever.

Johnny West

Tonight was a Stewart's Meat rib eye for me and Safeway fillet mignon for the mrs. She requested no smoke and it was all good.

Attachments

• #fillet.jpg
    #fillet.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,040

Johnny West

Some anus on Facebook bbqing group is calling me out about my steaks last night - says my fillet mignon is a NY Strip. He cut meat for 4 years and knows the difference. I shouldn't argue with idiots.

Johnny West

Tonight it was a caesar salad and grilled chicken breast to put on the salad - no parmesan or croutons makes for a skimpy salad. I never got around to taking picture of it, though.

I marinated the chicken breasts with the leftover Nicosie dressing from the other day and it was an excellent choice.

Attachments

• #Chick Breast Nicoise .jpg
    #Chick Breast Nicoise .jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,076

Johnny West

Last night I grilled steaks before the ash fall headed our way. We finally ate on the deck and was hoping to tonight but doubt that's going to happen. The mashed cauliflower was pretty good. She squeezed the water out of and added some spices, I'm not sure what. It was topped with lemon juice and ghee.

Attachments

• StekNite.jpg
    StekNite.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 245
  • #StekNiteMS.jpg
    #StekNiteMS.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 249

Johnny West

I did these lamb chops Sunday evening - made a chimichurri using chocolate mint (instead of basil) from my herb garden. It was a hit.

Attachments

• #Lamb Chops I.jpg
    #Lamb Chops I.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 258
  • #Lamb Chops II.jpg
    #Lamb Chops II.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 258

Johnny West

Here are last night's tenderloin "ribs" - crazy store packaging. I grilled these with no rub, no sauce, and using cherry and oak for smoke. They were moist and quite good.

Attachments

• #Tenderloin Ribs.jpg
    #Tenderloin Ribs.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 246

Johnny West

Tonight it was fair burgers - fried the onions in ghee in the Wagner french sauté skillet. The burgers were done over the coals with cherry and oak for smoke. I love the way the fire cleans up the skillet bottoms.

Attachments

• #Bugers:Fair.jpg
    #Bugers:Fair.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 364

Johnny West

Sunday evening started a fire in the grill and by the time I got the meat on it was dark. The rib steaks were good except this one had a heavy facia running through it. I wished I still had a dog for what I chewed and threw'd.

Attachments

• ##Rib Eye.jpg
    ##Rib Eye.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 347

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Spectacular photo, nonetheless!

What kind of squash?

Lee

Johnny West

Last night I grilled the last of my rib steak stash. There is a bit left to go with breakfast for dinner tonight. I'll make morels and scrambled eggs, as well.

Attachments

• ###Grille Rib Steak.jpg
    ###Grille Rib Steak.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 314