1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
6 to 8 baby carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbls. butter
8 oz. sliced white mushrooms
1 bag frozen pearl onions, thawed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the beef into 2-inch cubes and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the beef with the salt and pepper. Add in half of the flour and toss the beef to coat completely.
In a Dutch oven or ovenproof casserole dish heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides. Add the chopped onion, cook, stirring for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and the remaining flour, mix well. Stir in the broth, wine, bay leaf and thyme, bring mixture to the boil. Cover the dish, transfer to oven. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the dish from the oven and add the carrots. Return to oven and bake for 35 minutes longer. Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and pearl onions, cook, stirring until onions begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and add the mushrooms and onions to the stew. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve. Hearty and delicious. Good served with spoon biscuits or baking powder biscuits. :bounce:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now that the warmest New England winter in history is over, I'll be waiting till the Fall to make this one, Ian!

Lee

Ian M.

Now that the warmest New England winter in history is over, I'll be waiting till the Fall to make this one, Ian!

Lee

Hi, Lee - Despite the fact that I seriously hope you're on the right page about the weather, I'm going to hold my breath until we get past the upcoming very cold weekend that's predicted. Then and only then, I'll begin thinking outdoor picnics and BBQ's and the like. I've got some nifty picnic recipes I hope people will enjoy. Don't forget, though, that we're talking New England, here, where you can have three seasons in one day! :weber::letitsnow:

Ian

chilefarmer

Ian, I can do that. We love stew, And I love one dish meals. An oven has not to be watched as much as the stove top. Now thats a good idea. CF:smile:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohio is much the same with the weather. LOL. Don't like the weather? Just wait around a while it will change.
Awesome recipe Ian.
Sounds GREAT! Like CF, I love beef stew. :thumb:

sadie

Oh Ian M. my goodness gracious that recipe sounds simply divine. I Thank you kindly for this recipe. I love beef now and again and I will certainly try this recipe out one day the next time I make myself some stew. I do thank you for sharing this. I can practically smell it cooking already. You are a dear one indeed. :flowers:

Ian M.

Good afternoon, ladies - Sure hope that you enjoy this stew. Now that we're in the midst of the "season" for this type of meal we've had it a couple of times recently and I never tire of it. Especially good with biscuits on the side and a nice green salad and some good red wine. Now that's good eating!

Ian M. :good: