Allen's Beer Batter

AllenOK

This is absolutely easy to do. You can make the beer batter ahead, then dip and fry your fish later, if you want to.

one 12 oz beer, preferably something a little on the dark side. I like to use Amber Bock.
flour, amount varies
1 t malt powder, or to taste

Pour the beer into a mixing bowl. If you must, salute the bottle first, then pour away. Add flour, a little bit at a time, stirring to fully incorporate before adding more. Continue until the batter is at the thickness you like (I like something comparable to pancake batter). Add the malt powder, and mix thoroughly.

I usually do a qual-check by frying a mushroom or a small shrimp to check to see if there is enough malt powder in the batter. I usually do this a couple of times ;)

I've been meaning to try Guiness as the beer for my beer batter, but never got around to it. Maybe a Malt Liquor would be better, if the malt flavor is stronger :clap:

Always season your battered and fried foods after it comes out of the fryer and drains. I find that draining on a cake rack over a jelly-roll pan works the best, as paper towels keep the food in contact with the grease.