Collard Green Question

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Hi all! - Being from the great Pacific NW, we do not cook a whole lot of collards, lol :huh:

Can anyone tell me how to make collard greens without using a smokey flavor in order to cut down on the bitterness? :chef:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi rikismom,

While I have not cooked collards myself, forum your description, I am wondering if it might be a bit like broccoli rab. There is a chef where my DW works that makes that makes rab every day and it is never though or bitter.

I am told she boiles it watching carefully for a color chance to bright green. Then out it comes.

In hopes that this helps.

Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
P. S. I googled this term "how to cook collard greens not bitter" and found lots of other info.

Andy

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Thank you Andy & Lee! I'll see what I can come up with. It's comfort food Sunday with fried chicken, homemade mashed potatoes, cream gravy & collards!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Our mom used to use just salt pork at times when she didn't use smoked meat.

I use smoked turkey wings at times. Sorry, but I like the smokey taste. :eating2:

loboloco

Best thing to do with collards is feed them to the hogs. They taste a lot better once converted to bacon.:D

High Cheese

Saucier
Hi all! - Being from the great Pacific NW, we do not cook a whole lot of collards, lol :huh:

Can anyone tell me how to make collard greens without using a smokey flavor in order to cut down on the bitterness? :chef:

How long are you cooking them for?

I was shown how to cook collards by a North Carolina transplant, and believe me she knows her soul food.

chilefarmer

I do cook collard greens and have eaten them my whole life, super good with corn bread. My take on cooking greens.
Start by removing the large stem from the leaves. Wash leaves in cool tap water to remove any dirt or what ever might be there. I roll up the greens and cut up into smaller pieces.
I then, using a large pot cook some smoked pork jowl or diced salt pork. Dice a large onion and add to the cooking pork. When onion is cooked clear, deglaze the pot with water. Add the greens and more water if needed. I also add maybe a couple teaspoon of sugar. Cook until tender. Add salt and black pepper to taste. I add a shot of hot sauce to my plate.
Depending on the age of the greens some cook longer than others. CF

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
How long are you cooking them for?

I was shown how to cook collards by a North Carolina transplant, and believe me she knows her soul food.

What I ended up doing was sauté onions & garlic in a bit of olive oil and butter, then added the chopped collards and added about 1/3 cup of chicken stock. Reduced the heat, slapped the lid on and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes. It turned out good.....I thought anyway. Hubby's not that keen on greens :glare:

Leni

If you don't cover the pan the green will keep that beautiful green color. The oxalic acid in the leaves will evaporate along with the steam. The same is true for spinach and other greens. The acid is what causes the veggie to turn that ugly olive green which is much less appetizing.

Shermie

Site Supporter
But greens not cooked long enough can be tough and hard to chew, like leather.

My mom always cooked them until they were tender and easy to chew. :eating2:

Leni

Very true Sherman. That's why I cook them long and slow. Personally I like the smokey flavor but you could use bacon instead of ham hocks. And frankly it should not taste bitter. What would cause that Sheerman?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Collards and other greens, such as kale, mustard greens and turnup greens all have a very pungent taste to them, in addition to having a very high content of acididy.

Seems the more that you cook them, the more this acididy breaks down and is reversed to make the greens taste better.

But a word of warning to those who love to eat greens and other green veggies; Even though all veggies, especially the green ones, & they are considered to have healthful benefits, there is one side effect.

They contain a high level of acid, and it is this acid that can raise your uric acid level, causing you to come down with a case of the gout!! I was diagnosed with it, though it is not a severe one. My mom had it and a friend of mine has it as well.

It is very painful, depending what joints in your body are affected with it. I get it in my left ankle (that is where my mom had it). It can get so painful that it'll make you cry!!

So please try not to indulge too much in this decicious tasting delicacy from the South. Moderation is key. :eating2:

loboloco

Another word of warning. If you are taking any heart or BP medication please make sure to ask your doctor if you can consume dark greens safely. If you are a cumouden(sp) patient the answer is no.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm on heart medicine, bp medicine and cumidin, as well as lasix, glipizide, lisinopril & sporanolactone. I also take omeprizole to keep acid reflux at bay.

I still eat dark greens on occasion. I don't endulge in them though.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I have an e-book you may enjoy perusing, attached............:a1:

Attachments

• CollardsNotebook2.pdf
    646.6 KB · Views: 288

High Cheese

Saucier
What I ended up doing was sauté onions & garlic in a bit of olive oil and butter, then added the chopped collards and added about 1/3 cup of chicken stock. Reduced the heat, slapped the lid on and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes. It turned out good.....I thought anyway. Hubby's not that keen on greens :glare:

You need to cook them ALOT longer than that, like a couple hours. Taste every 15 minutes or so, you'll see the bitterness goes away.

Remove the large part of the stem, sometimes you can find them in bags already prepared. I cook them with ham hocks, but if you don't eat pork (religious reasons) you can add smoked turkey leg.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I usually cook them in the pressure cooker. They are usually done in about 90 minutes or so. :eating2:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i splash a dab of vinegar into my own to counterbalance, w/ frank's, salt/pepper/ham base/ &/or pan-seared hocks. i've made them sans a hamhock, & they were okay to me. salt pork could be used, too.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Vinegar is added to mine just before the start of the cooking process, then a little bit of sugar to tame the bitterness, then some seasoned salt, a bit of Cajun seasoning, ground black pepper, a few chopped garlic cloves and a small sliced onion.