Hurricane Sandy

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the path of this monster. LuckyTrim, Andy, Peepers, Jimmy, luvs, Ian, Fallon, Lee, Lefty, Sherman, cookingirl and anyone else I forgot to mention.......please baton down the hatches and stay safe!

It's times like these when I wish we had a map to pinpoint everyone's location.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama I am right by Pyramids NJ. Easy to find on the map.

1) My truck is full of diesel.
2) DW's car ours full of gas.
3) I checked the generator out yesterday, its good to go.
4) Spare gas for the genset. Also can draw from the car.
5) I can charge phones in the car / truck.

Hunkered down here. I will check in as I can.

Ian M.

Many thanks, Mama, for the thoughts and prayers. We drove down to my Dad's house this afaternoon and drove over to the seawall on Hampton Beach to watch the ocean throwing a great tantrum! It was just past low tide and already we were seeing rollers that were frighteninly large. But what really blew me away were the idiots on boards para-sailing out in the rollers! These people must have a latent death wish! This isn't California with gorgeous surf! This is icy cold New England ocean with a heavy sea and high winds! What in heaven's name ails these folks, anyway? By midnight tomorrow night it should be a sight to see if anyone is dumb enough to go looking..........high tide and a full moon on top of the predicted high winds and raging rain. Maybe we'll go on back up to Conway and stay way above sea level! My brothers will be watching after Dad and one another - they won't really need us under foot and Fallon will certainly be much safer further away from it all.

Ian M.

Andy, after reading what you had to say about charging your phone in your car or truck - I hope you have better luck then we're apt to. One of the first things to go down in storms around here are the cell towers! I can well imagine that by tomorrow night we may be completely cut off from everyone with no cell service available to us at all. This is one time when I would welcome a landline instead of being totally on cells as we are. My one brother has a landline in his home and there's a convenience store fairly close to our apartment which I can go to to call down to Hampton if the need arises to keep track on the family and make sure everyone's safe. Hope we don't need to make that trip, however, as it's bound to be a wet one! Hope everyone else in the line of fire is safe, as well. An angry ocean is an awesome thing to encounter, isn't it?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Y'all try to check in whenever you can even if it's only long enough to let us know that you're okay.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't have any copper lines either. Cells were up in the east coast blackout. Drop a few trees and we will see.

I have three chainsaws, none running. Bet I can fix one of need be. I have been wanting to turn some bowls anyway. LOL

I have food water and two Labradors to keep me warm. If the house stays intact I should be able to cope.

Friends mean a lot. We will keep in touch as best as we can.

Andy

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I am west of Corning, NY and they are saying 4-6 inches of rain and 60mph+ winds. With some wet snow mixed in. We have been sitting at 37 F for the past few hours and it is raw. I loaded up the wood boiler cause the greenhouses are taking some heat and they really need heat when it is windy. Even had to turn the house heat on as daytime highs are only to get 42 for the whole next week. Even colder next weekend.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks like you're gonna get hit hard too Mountainman. Stay safe! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I heard parts of NYC were be evacuated.

Are you?

Lee

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like you're gonna get hit hard too Mountainman. Stay safe! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
This is why I live on TOP of the mountain. The road and folks down in the hollows may have some problems but up here the worst will be I might have to take the skid loader and grade up the lane. I have 4 breakers to run the water off to the side on the steep part of my 3/4 mile lane. Generator was just run on Friday and I have 20 gallons of gas if the power goes out. Wife likes her coffee pot and internet.:mrgreen:And we have enough grub and ammo to last a long time.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Stay safe all of you.
It's not sounding like it's going to be pretty.

Makes me feel like we here in Ohio are going to have it mild with snow,rain and 40 mph winds in comparison.
Thoughts and prayers going out.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
So far here, it's nothing but sheets of rain here and there, wind, but thank god no power outages. It seems like if you fart in the wrong direction, power goes out, so we'll see what happens.

Everything is charged up, have a couple movies to watch. if things end up going dead, I can hobble to the car to recharge. I do have like 3 books to finish, so we'll see what happens.

Have a drink for me, East Coast Stormers!! I hope that everyone does ok!

Ian M.

It's 3:42am and something woke me up but I don't know what. I thiink probably a cat landing on me with a huge "thump"! The wind is blowing but not very hard right now. I thought it was raining out but it seems more like the calm before the storm - I looked at the vapor light outside our patio and saw something blowing eratically across the line of light - wasn't rain though. Looked like fog blowing around in the wind. Weird. But it feels like the temps have dropped dramatically since last night. Right now the gauge says 39. Brrrrrrrrr. At first light I have to go over to the resort to make breakfast for hardy souls who are out and about. Lots of hot coffee. As we left Hampton yesterday late the police were out along the oceanfront, chasing people down off the seawall who wanted to ogle all the rollers and foam. People can be kind of dumb about that kind of thing, can't they?

Last edited:

Ian M.

I am west of Corning, NY and they are saying 4-6 inches of rain and 60mph+ winds. With some wet snow mixed in. We have been sitting at 37 F for the past few hours and it is raw. I loaded up the wood boiler cause the greenhouses are taking some heat and they really need heat when it is windy. Even had to turn the house heat on as daytime highs are only to get 42 for the whole next week. Even colder next weekend.

Mt. Man - I know Corning, NY! When we were pretty small kids, we lived very briefly in Painted Post, New York and I have a photo taken of my brothers and me wih our sleds, standing on top of a pretty large snow drift that appears to reach to second story windows. Do you still get snows like that now days? Have you ever toured the Corning Glass Works? That is a fascinating place to visit..............

That area of NY is really gorgeous in the Spring, Summer and Autumn.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
We drove down to my Dad's house this afaternoon and drove over to the seawall on Hampton Beach to watch the ocean throwing a great tantrum!

Hey, I used to live in Hampton Beach when I was based out of BOS.

For those of you who live anywhere near the ocean you really should get out of there. The surge might be the most damaging aspect of the storm. At least it isn't too windy - yet, and you don't want to see it build. I sat through Wilma's 125 mph winds a few years ago and it wasn't fun. If you choose to remain in the area, don't go out until it settles down as you never know what might be flying by.

Good luck all.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Mt. Man - I know Corning, NY! When we were pretty small kids, we lived very briefly in Painted Post, New York and I have a photo taken of my brothers and me wih our sleds, standing on top of a pretty large snow drift that appears to reach to second story windows. Do you still get snows like that now days? Have you ever toured the Corning Glass Works? That is a fascinating place to visit..............

That area of NY is really gorgeous in the Spring, Summer and Autumn.
The last big snow we has was about 28" back in 2007. We are overdue to get a snowy winter as the water tables are way low. Folks with springs are in bad shape around here. I have toured the glass works and museum many times and usually take guests there.

Leni

Buzz is right. Those big waves are very dangerous. Don't forget the undertow as the water runs back. Sounds like you folks back there are in for a Hell of a time.

Here on the West Coast we will have hurricanes come up from Mexico every now and then. They are NOTHING like what you are facing. Please stay safe and let us know how you are doing.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, is it ever blowing the rain out there. I just loaded the wood boiler and it is crazy windy. Greenhouses will take a bunch of heat in these winds. The old tomcat did not come in for supper or when I was out. He has a hideout in a brush pile or else he is in the barn nice and dry.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Generator tested and plenty of fuel stocked in for it, and both vehicles are full. All batteries at full charge including the UHF/VHF handheld ham radio and backup battery which can be connected to the rooftop antenna for additional range if needed. No worries here if the cell towers drop out, because we have our local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) network activated.

Extra sump pump staged if the primary goes out, and high water alarm tested so I know if the pump fails. They are predicting high winds at 50mph+ for tonight and tomorrow, with waves on Lake Erie topping 20 feet from the north. Very unusual for NE Ohio to see waves this high, but its a very unusual storm.

Hope everyone has prepared well, and we will back to normal before you know it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Leni - My cell is working.

I took advantage off the time to do maintenance in the workshop. I added light over the bench and cleaned .
We will probably not see cable for phone internet or TV for several days. I learned that cable / phone / power crews are legally barred by OSHA from doing pole work if the winds are overt forty MPH.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
We had high winds down here for 3 days and it's been pretty raw but nothing with it. It's finally beginning to calm down. I've been watching pictures from up there and it's looking pretty bad.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a pix of three lower east side of nyc a car was under water. The subways must be a mess. Over a twelve foot storm surge at battery park.