Eggs for meringues

sydneys

Hi all

Quite a simple question, I hope!

Is it true that old eggs should be used for meringues?

Any help much appreciated.

S

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. Please consider posting a bit about yourself in the Introduction forum.

I've not heard about using older eggs for meringue, but I have read that eggs 10 days old are better for making hard boiled eggs. I've never had a problem whipping egg whites into meringue with newly purchased eggs, but maybe what you suggest is so. Perhaps one of the veteran bakers here will know.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Hi Sydneys!

I've never noticed a difference whether using new or old eggs.

Here's how I make meringue:

Start with a clean, dry bowl. Make sure there is no grease in the bowl because even a very small amount of fat will ruin a meringue. Be sure to use either a copper, stainless steel, glass or ceramic, bowl.

Start with cold eggs because they separate easier and let them sit for about 15 minutes so they come to room temperature before whipping. You can add about 1/8 tsp. per egg white to the unbeaten whites to stabilize the meringue. Don't use any acid though if you are using a copper bowl.

Whip the whites to medium-soft peaks then gradually add your sugar (2 Tablespoons per egg white) while continuing to whip the whites. Beat until the hold a firm peak and look glossy.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hi Sydneys!

I've never noticed a difference whether using new or old eggs.

Here's how I make meringue:

Start with a clean, dry bowl. Make sure there is no grease in the bowl because even a very small amount of fat will ruin a meringue. Be sure to use either a copper, stainless steel, glass or ceramic, bowl.

Start with cold eggs because they separate easier and let them sit for about 15 minutes so they come to room temperature before whipping. You can add about 1/8 tsp. per egg white to the unbeaten whites to stabilize the meringue. Don't use any acid though if you are using a copper bowl.

Whip the whites to medium-soft peaks then gradually add your sugar (2 Tablespoons per egg white) while continuing to whip the whites. Beat until the hold a firm peak and look glossy.

1/8 tsp of what??

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
whoops :lol:....1/8 tsp of cream of tartar or you can substitute 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've seen/read to use a copper bowl, w/ whole eggs taken from the fridge & set aside for half an hour, not a trace of yolk in them once seperated, cream of tartar, etc.; learned this was when i was in elementary school. made 'em. i used a glass bowl. they were the same as other crisp meringues.
that was in a 1970's cookbook.

checked my newest book- there's 2 ingredients in the base recipe,- egg (seperated & yolk omitted, although i'm figuring u knew that already) & sugar, for a simple, versatile meringue. they use mixers. i know squeaky-clean equipment makes a fluffier meringue.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, get yourself a good large copper bowl and a matching good balloon whip (like mine pictured below)!

This, I found out, is the best bowl and whip to use!! Copper helps to provide the "magic" need to help produce airy soft white peaks in your maringues.

Just make sure that the bowl and whip are clean and dry, whichever bowl & whip that you decide to use.

As for using old eggs for meringues, not sure if that is or would be practical or not. Your best assurance of having fresh or older eggs is to check the expiration date on the carton.

Old eggs that have been in the fridge past the date should float, meaning that they are no longer fresh. You might choose to discard them. Eggs that sink to the bottom of a bowl of cold water are safe to use.

I hope that this info helps you. Good luck!! :idea: :chef: :bbq:

Attachments

• Balloon Whip.jpg
    Balloon Whip.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 138
  • copper bowl.jpg
    copper bowl.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 132

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's another pic of the bowl & whip in my posession!!

Attachments

• Copper bwol & Balloon Whip.jpg
    Copper bwol & Balloon Whip.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I forgot to mention this;

That when a recipe, such as homemade ice cream, calls for egg yolks only, I freeze the egg whites, so that I can use them to make an Angel Cake.

When thawed out, they make the perfect Angel Cake for desert!!!!!!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
So longs as things are kept COLD, there shouldn't be an issue. I have never heard that older eggs are better, but, in theory it makes a little sense to me. The egg shell, while nothing leaks out onto our fridges or what not, is NOT an airtight shell. As the eggs age, water is lost, a lot of the white is water. So a slightly dehydrated white might make a stiffer peak happen faster? I dunno. It makes sense in my head, but that isn't saying much. . . I think a LOT of weird things, but that's just me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Welcome to the boards, btw!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Sherm!! Awesome copper set man, Great to own, and I hope it stays out as eye candy for the kitchen too! Please don't hide it in a cupboard!