Amberjack

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Anyone ever cook amberjack before? I have a hunk to cook for dinner tonight, but I've never had it before. It looks rather meaty & firm, so I thought maybe grilling it, but I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Cooking method? Flavor profile? Seasoning?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
There are two Amberjacks in Florida waters, Greater and Lesser. I'm sure your fillet is from a Greater because the Lessers are low on food value according to Florida Sportsman magazine so they probably wouldn't be available on the market. Lessers don't get big, not much more than 12", so if your fillet has any size at all it's a Greater and the meat is rated as excellent, fresh or smoked.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had it, but I love the name of the fish.

I looked at bigjim's link and the idea of grilled with lime-butter appeals to me, SS.

Do you like blackened stuff? That sounds good to me, too!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
if it's whole, ss, you could try my fennel stuffed fish recipe.

i just made it with whole red snapper, and it was very good.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm going to try your recipe on a whole fish, Bucky, but this was just a piece. It obviously came from a larger fish because it wasn't the whole fillet. It was about the size and shape of a piece of mahi.

I ended up getting home late (again) and didn't take time to do much with it. Just a little S & P, a light brushing with olive oil, and threw it on the grill. It was absolutely delicious!

I guess there's something to be said for simplicity now and then.