Who's grilling Turkey this year?

GrillinFool

It's time to get out of the kitchen and cook Thanksgiving the way the Pilgrim's did - outside over fire. Who cares if they probably didn't have a turkey on the first thanksgiving and instead of an open fire you will be using some sort of cooking appliance purchased at a major hardware store chain. But come on, get into the spirit of the day and do that turkey right. Step by step, pic by pic instructions are right here.

And the those mouth watering teaser pics are right here:

003.JPG

023.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will be smoking 2 - 12 lbs birds for Thanksgiving as well as doing a brisket in the over. We will have a house full here on Thanksgiving so we will as much as possible the day before.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We'll have a full house also. We are doing one bird the traditional way (bagged in the oven) and one on the smoker.
Great looking bird you have there GF. Looks Good!!!!!!! :thumb:

What wood do you use for smoking da turkey? I used mesquite last time and it was a bit strong. Gong to try something else this time around.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I prefer a combination of 1/3 hickory and 2/3 apple wood. I also use an apple cider basting spray periodically through the cooking. We put an herb butter between the skin and breast meat as well. This makes a real juicy turkey that the two times I've made them in the past I swear they ate some of the bones too. The only thing I use mesquite for is turning jalapeños into chipotle.

GrillinFool

We'll have a full house also. We are doing one bird the traditional way (bagged in the oven) and one on the smoker.
Great looking bird you have there GF. Looks Good!!!!!!! :thumb:

What wood do you use for smoking da turkey? I used mesquite last time and it was a bit strong. Gong to try something else this time around.

We used peach for this but any of the lighter fruit woods would work like Apple, Apricot, Nectarine and Pear. All of which I have in vast quantities right now. Yes, I rule!!! If you want a more robust flavor than these milder woods then add a little hickory in as well.

Mesquite is harsh and can overpower poultry. Cherry is also bad. It gives a great smoke ring to Ribs and such but makes the skin turn black. It will look like hell...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Looks beautiful! I've smoked several turkeys before, up to 20 pounds.... I can really appreciate that flavour in the summer. When it comes to my Thanksgiving dinner, however, I have to have it the traditional (for my family) way.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wouldn't make a turkey for Thanksgiving as my family was either venison or a ham. I'm doing turkeys due to last year having a friend and his wife come in from Texas to spend a week with us. She can't eat a lot of things though turkey is one thing she can have so I smoked one. Now it has become a regular item though I won't be eating any of it. I'm going for the brisket myself.

phreak

I'm hoping and pushing to have Thanksgiving at our house. If we do, I'll be spatchcocking a turkey and placing sausage between the skin and meat. Orange and cherry wood for smoke.
Maybe I'll do it even if we're traveling.