Ni pedo
Site Supporter
a few reasons on todays cook:

1. my charcoal chimney grew legs
2. didnt feel like firing up the big grill
3. needed something to put into my homemade beans from yesterday
4. boredom
and 5. because i can..lol

take one old coffee can, cut out both ends. i had an old oven rack and cut off some of the rack pieces.drilled holes couple of inches up from the bottom of can and inserted pieces of rack for my charcoal to sit on.

and ended up with this(a charcoal chimney will work the same way but see reason 1 why i didnt do it..lol)
i2ines.jpg

add paper to bottom, add lump to top of rack and start
2h7pezl.jpg

wait a little bit
2d1mgea.jpg

add a rack
2eujtyu.jpg

hot dogs and cheese sausages
2s1wves.jpg

cooking
11bq0d4.jpg

cooked
692mol.jpg

add to beans and enjoy
4rxi1c.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those cheese sausages are things of beauty, Jeff!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You sure are resourceful, Jeff. You must have access to a junk yard to get pieces-parts for all your projects.:yum:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You sure are resourceful, Jeff. You must have access to a junk yard to get pieces-parts for all your projects.:yum:

i am chea..err frugal, so when i get a chance to pick up items that i might be able to use in a smoker/bbq project i grab and yes sometimes i do have access to a junk yard..lol

buckytom

Grill Master
so, you really do have junk in the trunk, huh bam, lol.

nice job. that reminds me of camping in bad weather. i've seen people cook over metal can chimneys like that when there weren't many dry coals. unfortunately, it was almost always lentil soup. backpackers love lentil soup.

i'd rather have one of those cheese dogs <<aaaghlghlghlghghl>>> (drooling)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Freaking awesome! Way to improvise brother! I'm loving it and getting inspired!! :clap:

homecook

We actually did this a couple years ago at the cabins when we forgot our chimney. We didn't go to the extreme that you did with putting a shelf in the bottom of the can.

We never thought about cooking over it though. lol Good idea!