Mayo

Johnny West

I made mayonnaise for the first time and it came out perfect. :blob_blue:

I used the whole30 recipe and made a double batch. The stick blender is the way to go.

1/4 cup of light olive oil (note: olive oil should be light, NOT extra virgin)
1 cup of light olive oil (separate from the 1/4)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced
Instructions: Place the egg, 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard powder, and salt in a mixing bowl, blender, or food processor. Mix thoroughly.

While the food processor or blender is running (or while mixing in a bowl with a stick blender), slowly drizzle in the remaining cup of olive oil (Note: this is all about speed – pour very slowly as a drizzle).

After you’ve added all the oil and the mixture has emulsified, add lemon juice to taste, stirring gently with a spoon to incorporate.

Making Whole30 Mayo Tips & Tricks:

Pour That Olive Oil Slowly. The first chunk of ingredients, including the 1/4 cup of olive oil, can all be dumped and mixed without caution. However, with that other 1 cup of oil that you pour in later, it’s all about speed. You’ll want to pour that additional 1 cup of oil as slowly as possible in a light drizzle. The more slowly you pour, the thicker the mayo will be. Emulsion happens best when you pur a thin stream – too fast and you’ll get something runny and unappetizing.
Avoid Copper or Aluminum Bowls. The lemon juice can react badly with copper or aluminum mixing bowls and leave a metallic taste, so they’re best avoiding for making mayo. When making Whole30 mayo with a stick blender, you may want to invest in stainless steel mixing bowls with non-skid bottoms, which can allow you to easy mix with one hand (and pour the oil with the other hand) so you don’t need deal with your bowl spinning all over the counter.
Use Light Olive Oil, Not Extra-Virgin. While extra-virgin olive oil is the most common olive oil staple in households, it won’t due for our Whole30 mayo. EVOO ends up tasting too heavy for the mayo, and you’ll definitely need to go with light olive oil to make this mayo tasty.
Keep Ingredients At Room Temperature. Another important aspect of the emulsification process, in addition to pouring the olive oil slowly, is to make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature. Since olive oil and spices are usually kept in the panty, this rule applies mostly to eggs and the lemon. Keep your lemon out on the counter and warm up your egg (just place it in a cup of hot water for 3 minutes, or leave it out overnight).
Use a Stick Blender. By far the easiest way to make Whole30 mayo is by using a stick blender. Stick blenders are much easier to clean up than a blender or food processor. They’re also cordless and generally just easy to navigate with. We suggest grabbing the Cuisinart stick blender for $35 at Amazon. Otherwise, you’re welcome to try a food processor, but don’t try to whisk it by hand, as some recipes suggest. You really won’t be able to whisk the speed required to get that mayo nice and fluffy.
Lemon Goes Last. Add the lemon juice as a final step, once the mayo has already thickened. Many Whole30 members have found that adding lemon juice earlier on seems to result in more mayo fails, which means it may be messing with the emulsification process. Add more lemon juice at the end if you want, but just be aware that more juice can make the mayo thinner.

Why Did My Mayo Fail?
If your Whole30 mayo didn’t turn out thick and fluffy, and instead looks like a gloopy wet disaster, it’s probably because either:

The ingredients were too cold and not all room temperature
The olive oil was poured in too quickly
Don’t despair though – you can still use that failed mayo for a Whole30 salad dressing recipe.

Try adding:

Chives
Basil
Garlic
Cayenne Pepper

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Just a couple of more tips, make sure your bowl is fairly deep when using a stick blender. It does start spattering especially once it starts thickening.

A lot of food processors have push tubes that have tiny little holes in the bottom. You can start the FP, then fill the tube with some of the oil. It will drip in very slowly and once the emulsion forms you can pour the rest in a fairly quick drizzle.

If your mayo fails to emulsify, you can use it to start again 1 time. Just clean everything so no oil residue remains and start again with your yolk or whole egg if that's what you are using. If you are adding the acid at the beginning, you can only do this once though, otherwise it starts to taste too acidy.

You can do it by hand (though I wouldn't advise a double batch), just be sure you've got a balloon whisk and lots of strength in your arm, and can make the rotational movements with your wrist (arthritis). I made some just the other night in a bowl with a whisk because I was too lazy to clean the stick blender or the regular blender or the FP. My aioli might not have been particularly "fluffy" but it was definitely a nice mayo consistency. I've been know to beat egg whites and heavy cream to stiff peaks by hand too when I don't feel like cleaning a power tool.

Johnny West

I used the quart plastic pitcher that came with a blender and made sure the stick blender stayed submerged in the mayo. It came together perfectly and there was no mess and mayo was thick. I added the lemon juice with a spatular after it was finished. We use Star Extra Light Olive Oil. If one follows the directions it's no problem.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I made homemade mayo once and it came out pretty good.
Think I got the recipe either out of a cooking with herbs type book, or one of the many vegetarian cookbooks I had at that time.
It's been years...

The only thing I can recall is that it was a slow process because of like you (and the recipe) mentioned, the oil has to be drizzled very slowly.