morels- $59.99/lb.!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i was iffy on that one, so bought a few to see why so expensive. i later called to see if they really cost that much or if there was a typ-o. produce guy said they actually cost that much! i'll let yinz know how they were. i certainly won't be buying beyond 1/4 lb. if i buy 'em again, tho~

Attachments

• IMG_23891139.jpg
    IMG_23891139.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 131

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Big Al says they are everywhere in Idaho and folks come by the busloads to pick them. I don't care for mushrooms but for that price i would be a pickin fool!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
belaine, :D. luv the way that reads.
mm, i read his posts, too.

if morale is great, & morals matter, then morels must be awesome!:bb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luv, PLEASE let us know how you are using them, and take pictures and tell us details about the flavor!

I'm SO curious about them!

When I first saw the price, I thought they were inexpensive truffles! (I know, an oxymoron!)

I have picked wild mushrooms for 50 years, but have never found morels!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm making them w/ a strip steak. i think 1/2 w/ cream & butter, then a second batch w/ plain s/p & garlic.
i can see them taking to garlic & cream very well, although i'm gonna try them in the 2nd manner to see how much seasoning is required. i decided to not cook tonite. the morning began early & the night has yet to really begin. (& my steak has yet to thaw.)

i'll post & get pix

Last edited:

pharmerphil

My daughter sent us some from s.e. Iowa, they were good..I always hunted them down in Missouri..they were abundant..
Then, we sold them by the roadside for 15 bux a pound..no problem..we'd sel;l quantities to the local convenience store at 12 bux a pound..
Cousin reports he gets $25 a pound now in Mo.

Bells

They grow naturally at my mothers so I've eaten them all my life for free. One of my favorite shooms. She gets pails full . You'll need more than a 1/4 pound if you like them. I didn't know they were expensive in stores.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i have yet to use them. i'll get a few new ones. shrooms used to be in my Parents' yard. they would not let me near them. 'they could be poisonous!' was amongst their most beloved dialogue.

AllenOK

I've used both fresh and dried Morels. For what it's worth, I prefer the dried. Rehydrate them, and incorporate the liquid into whatever sauce you're making.

I can best describe the flavor as being "woodsy". If you've ever had Chinese dried Black Mushrooms, the flavor is similar.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've gotten both types in my food @ restaurants, allen, & both were much better than a plain-jane 'shroom. they have a grocery rack of that dried sort, & i passed by a new bulk section that is of quite a few dried produce items. saw wood-ears, & blends, & others.
rather cost-effective, as opposed to those 'lil pkts. that may feed 2. i agree on dried vs. fresh- then, u've got both an intense mushroom, & a soaking h2o that be used to enhance foods quite well. thanx! was so sleepy during buying my groceries this afternoon, i fergot to look fer morels!

Last edited: