Where do you live and where do you go on vacation?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is, typically or most often, go on vacation.

This question popped up in my mind when belaine, who lives in Southern California, mentioned something about going on vacation.

I've always thought S. CA was the BEST weather in the world, so wondered where the heck SHE went!

Anyway, I live in the Boston area, and I always go on vacation to a beach location.

Used to be the Caribbean, the Bahamas, Bermuda... but more recently, either visiting friends in Florida, or closer to home: renting in Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard, and Scituate MA.

Where do you live and where do you vacation?

Lee

AllenOK

I live close to Tulsa, OK. Can't afford to travel for vacation. Instead, I do Stay-cations. Typically make day trips to nearby areas for fishing.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I live close to Tulsa, OK. Can't afford to travel for vacation. Instead, I do Stay-cations. Typically make day trips to nearby areas for fishing.

How far are you from Eufaula?

I worked on a job in Tulsa in the 1970's. I spent a few weekends there instead of heading back home to Dallas.

I spent the last 10 years I worked traveling. My idea of a vacation is staying home!

Jim

AllenOK

The actual town of Eufala, or just the lake? I'm about 2 hours from the closest park of the lake to me. I haven't been to the town of Eufala in about 30 years. I'd have to pull out my state map to figure out how to get there.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i live in pittsburgh. we used to travel to florida. last vacation was jersey shore. we'll see, this summer. i'd be glad to get to the pool.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I live where I work and haven't taken but 1 vacation in the 48 years my wife and I have been married. I traveled a lot in the early 80's world wide in my job so lost most interest in seeing the world. Being born and lived most of my life in Florida I left there for good moving to Kentucky. Now that I've taken retirement as has my wife we hired a young couple to work 2 days a week for use so we work 4 days now instead of 6 days. Relaxing to us is a vacation now with time to do some things we wanted to do but just didn't have the time though traveling isn't one of them.

LADawg

We lived down here in what that locals call LA (Lower Alabama), about half way between Fairhope and Foley. We are only about 15+ minutes, by car, to the sugar white sands of the beaches of Gulf Shores, or Orange Beach. One of the best keep secrets, as far as beaches go, except for a million or so of us good ole Southern Rednecks and maybe ten or twenty thousand people from the Midwest that spend their winters down here each year.
Vacation? Since we are retired it seems like we are on a permanent vacation. In fact my wife has a blog she calls The Perpetual Vacationer at http://wendellmaedeantravelblog.blogspot.com/ . You might want to click on some of the links on the right hand side of her blog and read about where and what we have been doing for the last few years.
We did go on a vacation a couple of years ago. We went up north. Well at least north of I-10 to North Alabama. Lots of things to see there in Huntsville, Scottsboro and Fort Payne. We enjoyed our trip. This fall we are planning on going to Northeast Georgia. Up around Helen and Dillard. (any one every eaten at the Dillard House? http://www.dillardhouse.com/ ) We, along with some friends, went up there a few years back, but for some reason never ate there. As long as we will be in Northeastern Georgia this fall we will make side trips to Highland, NC and Cherokee, TN. Maybe on over to Gatlinburg, TN.
We have a friend who has access to a condo (free) for a week each fall in Destin, FL. We have been her guest there for the last two or three years. Very nice place, but not a whole lot better that here in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.

chilefarmer

Living in the East Texas piney woods area. In my younger years traveled most everywhere in my work. So don't care for travel now that I am old, short and fat. Travel now days cost way to much for me. Guess my monetary rate is still back in the 50's some place. We do go to the Gulf coast sometime, like on the week end during shrimping season. CF

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We've lived all our lives in NE Ohio, with a couple of short term relocations while I was in the Air Force from '69-'73. We've traveled a few times to the West coast to visit family From San Diego to Seattle, as well as half a dozen other states chasing them around the country. Been to Canada more times than I can remember, mostly on fishing trips, and got to sample Montana trout fishing for a week one time. Lots of time in Florida as our daughter and older relatives lived in Florida for the past 30 years, and 8 or 9 Caribbean cruises on various lines with many friends, and even one with all the kids when I had enough miles for 5 free airline tickets. Been to the Carolinas in the Summer, and, thank you, I'll never intentionally go there in the Summer again. Y'all can keep all that heat & humidity. I love Charlotte & Myrtle Beach in the Spring & Fall, and would visit my brother when he lived there.

Never been to Alaska or the New England states, but they are on the "vacation bucket list." New England to feast on fresh seafood, and Alaska for its beauty and hopefully at least one day of salmon fishing.

We've been fortunate to travel a bit, but never what you would call high falootin' places. Simple vacations with friends and family are the best for us.

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
Maine (Mid Coast Region)

Maine is called vacation land so I'm not allowed to leave on vacation.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lefty, we'll have to host JoeV. when he gets here and show him that New England is a lot more than just fresh seafood!

:)

Lee

Leni

I live in the San Fernando Valley part of Los Angeles. We have a time share in Dana Point and own three weeks there. We go there more often than that though. It's the port for San Juan Capristrano. It's not too far from home, about 80 miles. We bought there while our parents were alive. Far enough away to be a vacation but close enough that we could get home in a little over a hour.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i live here. sorry my image isn't rotated. my guy bought it 4 me the other day.:blush:

Attachments

• IMG_24091147.jpg
    IMG_24091147.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 113

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Our vacation is later in summer. We have been going to central Oregon with our family since the 70's. there is something for everyone there. Fishing, hiking, horse back riding. golfing, bike trails that go on forever and home cooking every night. We all take turns. Clear blue skies, long days. I love sitting on the deck playing cards with the grandkids, reading and doin nothin too. Btw, we drice and like that too. We rent house so we just leave the key and we are done.

LADawg

Hey Luvs, love that red and white can in the background. Had enough of that to float a big boat or a small ship............

Ronjohn

I live just outside Detroit. For vacation? The bar :gulp:

Of course, I *do* prefer bars in tropical or entertaining locations when on vacation. Maui, New Orleans, Ocho Rios, Nassau, etc. ;)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Luvs, love that red and white can in the background. Had enough of that to float a big boat or a small ship............

i say, i'll drink a guy under the table.i l:clap:when i leave w/ their $50 that they owed me fer out-drinking them on a bet. my metabolism rocks. (TY, God.)
nobody realizes i mean that until they drink w/ me. then they're floored. shocker. i said i can drink. i meant that.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
After traveling all my life I like it right where I am, DW too. Fishing, golf, and other hobbies keep me busier than ever. Retirement is good in Florida. :)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Florida is too hot and humid for me during the summer.

Me too - tried it for four years so I spend the hot months in Wisconsin for more of fishing and golf, and life long friends with whom I grew up.

When I was younger I always thought I'd wind up in San Diego, but now with crime, drugs, crowds, CA taxes..... no thanks,

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Never took a real vacation other than long weekends and a trip to Alaska to bring my grand daughters back to Pa. I pretty much live my vacation up here in the hills along the NY/Pa. border anyway. These days a vacation would be 30 days without seeing a doc.