Chicken Meatballs With Dijon Dill Gravy

LADawg

You know, that does sound good.:wink: I printed the recipe but the size of the letters are too small for my old eyes so I will re-do it. I plan on making this and think I will serve over the hot buttered noodles rather than rice.:readytoeat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh that looks terrific, Sass!

Think dried bread crumbs would be okay? Say, 1/2-3/4 cup?

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You know, that does sound good.:wink: I printed the recipe but the size of the letters are too small for my old eyes so I will re-do it. I plan on making this and think I will serve over the hot buttered noodles rather than rice.:readytoeat:
I'll use rice when I make it, Dawg.

You and Lee can be my testers in the kitchen.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ground chicken was on sale yesterday, so I snagged a package.

I'm making it tomorrow, but just to be on the safe side, I'll use two slices of bread (all I have is country white).

Serving over noodles, LA, but with cabbage (I'm making haluski).

Lee

LADawg

Sorry SM, but I still think I will use the noodles.
Anyway, here is the recipe I came up with.

CHICKEN MEATBALLS with DIJON MUSTARD
1 Pound Ground Chicken
2 Slices Bread, made into crumbs in a food processor
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, fresh and grated
Kosher Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Onion, finely diced
2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
2 Tablespoons Onion, finely diced
1/3 Cup Flour, all-purpose
2 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 /2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
1/4 Dill Weed, optional
In a large mixing bowl gently mix together the Ground Chicken, Bread Crumbs, Salt, Black Pepper, and Garlic Powder. In a smaller bowl combine Egg, Worcestershire Sauce and 2 Tablespoons diced Onion. Add the Egg mixture to the Chicken/Bread Crumb mixture. Mix very gently and form into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Set meatballs aside on a plate covered with waxed paper.
Heat Oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until it is hot. Carefully add Meatballs and brown on all sides. Be very gentle when browning Meatballs in order to not let them break up. Remove browned Meatballs with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate of bowl. Set browned Meatballs aside.
In the same skilled that the Meatballs were cooked in heat Butter until melted, add the other 2 tablespoons of diced Onion and sauté Onions for 2 or 3 minutes or until they are clear and soft.
Add the Flour and cook, while stirring, for 2 minutes, making a light colored roux. Slowly add the Chicken Broth, while whisking, until mixture becomes thick. Stir in Dijon Mustard until well mixed. Add Dill Weed if using.
Add the Meatballs back to the Gravy mixture and simmer for about 20 minutes or until they are completely cooked.

Johnny West

I like the looks of this and will try it soon, maybe with some jasmine or basmati rice.

I love meatballs of any style.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These were delicious - excellent gravy!

I think next time, though, I will use LA's suggestion of garlic powder instead of 2 cloves of fresh garlic - it was a little bitter.

Served over haluski (cabbage and noodles) with dill, so I omitted the dill in the meatball sauce, just garnishing with chopped parsley.

Great recipe - thanks, Sass!

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken meatballs, 1.JPG
    Chicken meatballs, 1.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Chicken meatballs, plated.JPG
    Chicken meatballs, plated.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made a little sub sandwich with the last three meatballs.

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken meatball sub.JPG
    Chicken meatball sub.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 99