Mashed Yellow Turnip with Carmelized Onions

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I grew up with this vegetable side dish, and it never occurred to me to post about it until I made it today.

Another one of Mom's recipes.

Lee

Mashed Yellow Turnip with Carmelized Onions

1 yellow turnip (really, it's a rutabaga, but no one seems to know what that is), peeled and large-diced

1 large onion, diced

1 small can of either beef or chicken broth

1 T butter

1 T olive oil

More butter for mashing

salt and LOTS of freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil and butter in a large pan. Over medium heat, slowwwwwwwly carmelize the onions until quite brown, but not dried out. Takes 20 minutes, at least, and they cook down a lot, so the more onions, the merrier.

Slice the turnip into large rounds - they are easier to peel, this way. Dice the peeled turnip.

Gently boil the turnip in the broth until VERY tender (you do NOT want these al dente!), about 20 minutes

Drain the turnip. Add the carmelized onions to the turnip, add 2T. butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper. The ground black pepper is key!

Mash well with a hand masher (you want a little texture here, but no big chunks). If it's too dry, add a little milk or cream.

Lee

Attachments

• Mom's rutabaga.JPG
    Mom's rutabaga.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
oliver oil!!!!!

please sir, may i have some more...oil?

lol, j/k qsis. thanks for the recipe. copied and saved. :clap:

i, too, grew up with mashed yellow turnips as they're a common veggie in the cuisines of both of my ancestors, norsk and irish. i'm gonna see my 'rents next week. i think i'll make this and give it to them. i know they've been hoping i make them my daube provencal, so this will be an additional surprise.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
oliver oil!!!!!

please sir, may i have some more...oil?

LOL! I didn't know WHAT you were talking about, BT, until I went back and looked. :bonk:

Well, I'd best leave it as "Oliver oil", since editing it would make your post incomprehensible. For a change. :wink:

Yeah, this is good stuff. Reheats beautifully, too!

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I haven't really eaten a lot of turnips since I was a kid, but I've been thinking about them a lot lately. Thanks for the recipe!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

I made this again tonight and edited my original post, putting a new photo in there and making a few corrections.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, this is the BEST I've ever made!!

I took my time and let 2 chopped onions carmelize for over an HOUR!

My mother and brother would be so proud of my patience.

It paid off - this was, by far, the best tasting batch of rutabaga and onions I've ever made!

I only used about 1 cup of chicken broth, and it cooked off so I didn't have to drain.

It was the star of the dinner - it had umami!!!

Lee

Attachments

• Caramelized onions.JPG
    Caramelized onions.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Cooked rutabaga.JPG
    Cooked rutabaga.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Finished rutabaga.JPG
    Finished rutabaga.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 101

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, the turnip takes no time to cook. The damned onions are the things that take the patience.

But SO worth it!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I tried vandalizing onions once. Like watching paint dry. Although, very tasty when done.

chilefarmer

I love rutabaga and turnips. Yours look so good. Have you noticed the price lately? Yesterday Kroger store $1.79 pound. One other thing about the rutabaga, the greens are really good. I have never seen them in stores so we grow our own. Have some about ready to pick now. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you noticed the price lately? Yesterday Kroger store $1.79 pound. One other thing about the rutabaga, the greens are really good. I have never seen them in stores so we grow our own. Have some about ready to pick now. CF

CF, in my store, rutabaga is still a good buy - usually under a dollar a pound.

Mine started sprouting before I got the chance to cook it. Can I just cut off the sprouting top and plant it in a large pot for greens?

Lee

Moxie

Being Irish, we grew up on turnip. I didn't even know there was a white turnip or a rutabaga until I was an adult. Yellow turnip was all there was.

Once I was watching Anne Burrell making what she called Irish stew. She said that the Irish always added turnip, and proceeded to cut up a small white turnip. It was plain to me that she didn't know of what she spoke!

Although rutabaga is a standard in my house, I've never tried it with onions. Ill have to remember this. I have a turnip in the fridge right now - I hope it's good, they are usually a fall vegetable.

chilefarmer

Lee, I have never done that but I can see it working. I have grown celery from its base. Yeah, I know not the same Thing.
I have had turnips winter over in the ground, and make tops come spring. CF