Metric Conversion

Leni

I'm sick and tired of store bought bread, even from the bakery. I've been making my own lately using my bread machine. I'll probably do it by hand when I feel better but in the meantime I've come across really good sounding recipes that are metric. Does anyone have a good conversion chart? For example what is 800 grams of flour? What is 900 ml water?

Leni

Never mind I just saw the conversion table on this site. Couldn't cancel the request.

Leni

A problem is that there are just three of us and my DH is diabetic and can only eat so much bread. Most of the recipes produce two or move loaves. I hope that they freeze well.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
There are but two here. I have been freezing the second loaf when I get two. They seem to freeze "OK".

If you make the dark rye sourdough I posted, there is only one loaf there. Many of bout most of the "no knead" brass I have made make one loaf and it is really good bread.

I am also trying to get back to cooking all meals at home. We seem to both feel better for it.

I have rye on final rise now. I am thinking of trying a Pumpernickel.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Leni,

Here are a couple interesting reads for you.

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-...ourdough-bread-better-for-blood-sugar-control

Here is another interesting one. In particular, I found the information about stone ground flower scoring lower on the glycemic index interesting. I have switched to stone ground before I read this. I have always used unbleached.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/318704-what-kind-of-breads-can-diabetics-eat/

This one gets a bit wordy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317179/

Every night when I feed my starter, I eat a bit of starter. I have had less stomach upset. My wife claims that she has seen similar results and better sugar numbers some I am baking sourdough.

Saliha

I'm sick and tired of store bought bread, even from the bakery. I've been making my own lately using my bread machine. I'll probably do it by hand when I feel better but in the meantime I've come across really good sounding recipes that are metric. Does anyone have a good conversion chart? For example what is 800 grams of flour? What is 900 ml water?

I have same problem with your pounds and cups.

:huh:

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
A problem is that there are just three of us and my DH is diabetic and can only eat so much bread. Most of the recipes produce two or move loaves. I hope that they freeze well.

I've had good luck freezing not only bread but bread machine dough.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'd recommend getting a digital kitchen scale that'll do both english/metric.

the reason is veddy simple.... grams of (solid) things frequently come out to fractions of a cup/volume ounce one can not easily measure. for example, my AP flour runs 125 g per 8 fl oz cup; so 800 g = 6.4 cups, which is not on a mark.

most liquid measuring cups are "dual" scales.

I converted to grams a long long time ago, so I'm always spouting off about the bennies.....