Italian Beef n Au Jus

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Being Italian beef I put it here in Ethnic, but since it is not that ethnic I could have gone with beef too...
Anyway, if you are in Chicago get the real deal. If not, this is not a bad substitute. Remember, here in Chicago we dip the entire sandwich in the Au Jus and eat it. All those juices soaked into the bread.... yum!! Also good topped with sweet or hot peppers. I like sweet peppers on mine.

Ingredients:

3 to 5lbs thawed boneless beef roast (the better the cut, the better the sandwich so bear that in mind).

Sauce:
1 10oz package Au Jus mix
1 7oz package Italian salad dressing mix
1 10oz can beef broth (do not skimp here if you can help it!)
1/2 beef broth can worth of water

Place beef roast in slow cooker, combine sauce ingredients and pour over beef.
Cover, cook on low for 8 hours. Meat should be tender and almost falling apart. You can slice it or shred it, your choice, onto hard rolls (we use something similar to an Italian rectangular loaf).
You can spoon some of the mixture onto the sandwich and eat it, or do like we do and dip the entire sandwich in the mixture and eat (very messy but darn good!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
This sounds good Mav!

I just saw the below PIC in your Album.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4&pictureid=28

OMG that looks amazing. What is that????? I tried to search for it, but couldn't find a recipe.

Yea, I really really need to write down my recipes so I can post em, LOL!!
It is a sirloin roast, I think I pan seared it then finished in the oven? Crusted with salt, pepper, garlic, and powdered onion soup mix. Or maybe just roasted in the oven, I think high heat to sear it then turned the oven off and let it finish.
I think...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I really really need to write down my recipes so I can post em, LOL!!
It is a sirloin roast, I think I pan seared it then finished in the oven? Crusted with salt, pepper, garlic, and powdered onion soup mix. Or maybe just roasted in the oven, I think high heat to sear it then turned the oven off and let it finish.
I think...

If you can find more info, let me know. I have to make this! So it's a sirloin roast?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yes, sirloin roast. The problem is the discussion was at the other place, we were discussing the best way to cook certain cuts. I saw this on sale and picked it up.
DW thinks I did a rub of salt, pepper, and garlic mixed with EVOO so I could brush it on then let it sit over night. The next day I pan seared it on high to get the crust, then finished in the oven. I think 350F for 30 to 45 minutes cause I wanted medium rare on it.

homecook

Being Italian beef I put it here in Ethnic, but since it is not that ethnic I could have gone with beef too...
Anyway, if you are in Chicago get the real deal. If not, this is not a bad substitute. Remember, here in Chicago we dip the entire sandwich in the Au Jus and eat it. All those juices soaked into the bread.... yum!! Also good topped with sweet or hot peppers. I like sweet peppers on mine.

Ingredients:

3 to 5lbs thawed boneless beef roast (the better the cut, the better the sandwich so bear that in mind).

Sauce:
1 10oz package Au Jus mix
1 7oz package Italian salad dressing mix
1 10oz can beef broth (do not skimp here if you can help it!)
1/2 beef broth can worth of water

Place beef roast in slow cooker, combine sauce ingredients and pour over beef.
Cover, cook on low for 8 hours. Meat should be tender and almost falling apart. You can slice it or shred it, your choice, onto hard rolls (we use something similar to an Italian rectangular loaf).
You can spoon some of the mixture onto the sandwich and eat it, or do like we do and dip the entire sandwich in the mixture and eat (very messy but darn good!!

My sil gave me this recipe to use with chuck roast. She shredded it and we put it on buns. She also added a jar of sliced pepperocinis. She's from Illinois.

I like the idea of using a better cut and being able to slice it instead.
Thanks Mav!!! I will definitely be trying this.

Barb