Pls help with grilling onions

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
So DH likes grilled red onions but they are a BEAR to cut up. DD has onion goggles ... someplace.

What would happen if I grilled small red onions with the peel on, on a skewer? Would we have a fire?

thanks

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
You wouldn't have a fire, but you wouldn't have grilled onions either. Roasting (or grilling) in the skins steams the onions. I do this often, as I like the taste.

Slicing an onion should not be much of a chore. A truly sharp knife is a must. An alternative is to use a mandoline.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CM, you could peel red onions, cut them in half, brush with olive oil and cook them either on the grill grate or on a grill topper (a mesh tray). Or, as you suggested, thread the peeled halves on a skewer.

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
So sorry for posting so late to this...

Cippolini onions would be superb if you can get hold of them. I'd peel the outter paper layer, but that is all. Then, marinate them in a bath of balsamic, olive oil, sugar, garlic, oregano and S&P. Put them onto one of those outdoor sheet pans with the holes in it. Turn a few times; the sugar in the onion and from the marinade will be dying to burn.

Cold onions, when cut, don't seem to create as many tears.

AllenOK

I second Vera's suggestion about the onions. I always refrigerate my onions. I don't have a problem with them here at home. When I'm at work, they don't refrigerate them, and when you need to dice up about 15 onions, you better have a vent hood handy, or you'll be blinded by tears in a matter of minutes.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Update:

I bought a bag of smal red oniosn and peeled them and skewered them for the grill. I think it was easier to just cut up a large red onion, but I'll try refrigerating them next time.

Thanks all.