Need FAST decent food for BBQ...

suziquzie

Burgers, corn on the cob, and ??????? :shock:

I work tomorrow and Sunday morning 4am til 12 or 1.....
Sunday at 3 we are having a BBQ for about 15 and I have been so messed up this week I didnt discuss food with anyone....

I need something I can whip up quick tomorrow afternoon or REALLY fast Sunday when I get home.... besides pasta salad..... I am so tired of pasta salad..... oh and cheap..... not more carbs.... I'm being difficult.

help me?

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
There's always bean salad - all you need are cans of green beans, kidney beans, yellow wax beans, onions, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper. Throw it all together and let it marinate while you're gone or overnight the night before :)

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bean salad is a great idea!

There's also the 7 layer salad that is made the day before and usually a big hit. I love it. Of course, I love bean salad too!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Burgers, corn on the cob, and ??????? :shock:

I work tomorrow and Sunday morning 4am til 12 or 1.....
Sunday at 3 we are having a BBQ for about 15 and I have been so messed up this week I didnt discuss food with anyone....

I need something I can whip up quick tomorrow afternoon or REALLY fast Sunday when I get home.... besides pasta salad..... I am so tired of pasta salad..... oh and cheap..... not more carbs.... I'm being difficult.

help me?

Try my easy baked beans. They are carbs....but they are classic for a BBQ. Lily tried them and liked 'em. Give 'em a whirl. Super easy and very tasty.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2451

buckytom

Grill Master
more votes for beans and slaw.

staying away from starchy carbs, what about a tray of pickled stuff? pick up some jars of various kinds of olives and pickles (cukes), pickled peppers, artichoke hearts, and gardiniere.

Bilby

bocconcini or mozzarella layered with sliced tomato and basil leaves, drizzled with EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Super yum!

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake.

Warm vegetable salad - think broccoli, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, carrot, peas whatever you have going that go together, all cut into similar sized pieces and I prefer to zap for a real quick meal, and dressed in a decent blob of aioli, although honey mustard dressing goes well too. Good vegetable crisper cleaner this dish! And is very easy to fit into your budget.

Vegetable kebabs for the bbq are good too and very colourful.

honey roasted tomatoes

"pan-fried" (thrown on the flat of the BBQ) eggplant slices dusted in flour first

zucchini latkes

zucchini bread/slice

potato and egg salad

Peperonata

Saw this one when I grabbed the other one zucchini carrpaccio

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have an easy, yet different take on bean salad that's usually a bit hit.

Sweet & Spicy Beans

Combine:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Drain & Rinse:
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can corn
1 small (2 oz) jar diced pimento

Chop up:
4 scallions

this serves about 6 or 8 as a side dish, so you may need to double it.

Combine the beans and scallions in a dish. Pour the dressing over. Chill several hours or overnight. (I usually put it in tupperware and turn the bowl over every couple hours to mix it up some).

Attachments

• spicy bean salad 2.jpg
    spicy bean salad 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 128

suziquzie

Thanks so much everyone. Now I have an arsenal because this happens every time we have a shindig on the weekends. :)

I'm going w/ slaw..... but I bought a jar of dressing. :hide: I have old lady onset allergies or something going on..... :ohmy: