Cooking onions on the grill

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We've been wrapping an onion in foil, put a pat of butter in it and cooking it on the grill until it caramelizes a little. They are simple and come out very tasty.

How do you cook your onions?

homecook

We do that also Doc. Try putting a beef bouillon cube inside with the butter. It's really a great taste!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I slice them very thick then marinate in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic, S&P and oregano. I use a special pan for grilling vegetables but it's not always necessary since I slice them so thick.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We do that also Doc. Try putting a beef bouillon cube inside with the butter. It's really a great taste!
Love that idea. Thanks Barb!!!!!

I'll have to try some of the ingredients you posts also Roe. Thanks guys!!! :tiphat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

That's how I make my baked vidalias too. I LOVE IT! I bake them at 325° for about an hour. Tastes like french onion soup.

We've been wrapping an onion in foil, put a pat of butter in it and cooking it on the grill until it caramelizes a little. They are simple and come out very tasty.

Remember the onion bloom? How about some onion flowers? I've made them in the oven, but you could adapt for the grill. I serve as a side w/ steak etc, or as an appetizer w/ a dipping sauce.

Here's the general idea:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/grilled-tangy-onion-flowers/443e8e5e-dc9b-4f52-a7cf-de641d344185

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
when @ my Parent's we used to slice them thinly, then put them into a stainless bowl & put them on the grill with lots of butter. often later added potato slices, par-cooked, if not w/ the onion. covered w/ foil. black pepper & salt.
i don't own a grill here, so i don't cook them.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

halved or whole, doc?, & a particular type?- my buddy grills often & i highly doubt he'd mind if i put a contribution onto the grill! TIA

GotGarlic

I slice them about 1/2-inch thick, brush with olive oil and S&P and grill them right on the grate. I bought some onion skewers a few years ago - they're about the thickness of toothpicks but made of metal. So I run them through the onions to keep the slices together as they cook. We also have a grill wok, so sometimes we stir-fry several veggies together - zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, green beans, etc. Other times, we grill other veggies along with the onions and serve them together sprinkled with fresh parsley and/or other herbs I've used in the main dish.