Rants and Raves thread

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I hear you, Mama! I'm in the same boat. I can cook up a storm, and by baking s usually great. But I just can't make a decent loaf of bread by hand. I've been trying of 30 or 40 years, and I just can't get it right. I consider myself 'yeast challenged'. I'm told that so much of bread making is in the "feel" of the dough, not just the recipe. Maybe we just don't understand what that "feel" really is.

Maybe you and I can find a nice cozy kitchen, and kidnap JoeV. We won't agree to release him until he gives up all his secrets.

That sounds like a great idea SS! Yeast bread has always been my nemesis and I'm determined to conquer it.

As for the baby's butt, can wheat or multi grain dough ever be soft and smooth as a baby's butt?

After doing some more reading, I'm gonna try using more vital wheat gluten next round. I only used 2 teaspoons and apparently, according to King Aurthur, you should use 1 to 2 Tablespoons.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I appreciate the comment, Phid. But I never seem to know exactly what to do to get it there. More liquid? More flour? More kneading? Can you over-knead?

Phiddlechik

Yes, you can over-knead.
Weighing the ingredients is a better way to measure, too. That way, the day's humidity, moisture content of the flour, etc, is taken into account.
and yes, JoeV would be a great resource. But the best would be a hands-on approach with a baker.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Maybe you and I can find a nice cozy kitchen, and kidnap JoeV. We won't agree to release him until he gives up all his secrets.
Count me in on that!! BUT I think it will take a LONG time to learn all those secrets :wink:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yes, you can over-knead.
Weighing the ingredients is a better way to measure, too. That way, the day's humidity, moisture content of the flour, etc, is taken into account.
and yes, JoeV would be a great resource. But the best would be a hands-on approach with a baker.
I was taught that you can never over knead by hand. Your shoulders, back etc would give out first. By machine I have no clue. I usually knead small amounts (2 loaves worth) of dough in my KA about 5 minutes, then I stop and cover bowl (while still on raised and on machine) with a heavy towel, let rest 10 minutes, then knead by machine another 5 minutes. Then place in large bowl cover and let rise in warm place. I like a dense loaf of bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

I just saw a commercial for yet another &*^&%$# show centering around Jersey women!! I am so fed up with these shows that make the world think that all women in NJ are low class trashy whores!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
#&^%ing viruses…….malware to be exact. Idiots coding that should be shot. I got infected today while browsing a tech site for TCP IP stacks on embedded microcontrollers. Of ALL the places to get infected…..a TECH SITE! :pat:

It was the “XP Security” malware dupe. It’s been revamped and is a lot nastier in 2011. Avast didn’t catch it, and the malware stopped net access.

Had to drop to Safe Mode where it couldn’t run, then access the net for an updated Malware build. That caught it, but when it “fixed” the registry, it destroyed the lnk to exe links, and no applications would run in windows. Couldn’t double click and run any program, even regedit wouldn’t run!

Had to fire up the capture PC and found a reg fix, downloaded that to a thumb drive, put the thumb drive in the main PC and did the reg merge. On reboot, the EXE links in the registry were fixed. Since I was in tech mode, went ahead and did a registry clean and defrag, disk defrag, some TCP optimizations, msconfig clean up, and uninstalled some un-needed crap.

What a freaking pain! But, she’s back up an running better than ever. Still, could’ve found something else to do with those hours of PC maintenance! :lol:

At least the TCP tweaks seem to be shining though! :thumb:

Last edited:

Wart

Banned
As for the baby's butt, can wheat or multi grain dough ever be soft and smooth as a baby's butt?

About the babies butt thing, I don't have kids, never been around them, never much cared for them.

At 52 years old I can imagine the s**t storm if I asked to feel someones babies butt.

After doing some more reading, I'm gonna try using more vital wheat gluten next round. I only used 2 teaspoons and apparently, according to King Aurthur, you should use 1 to 2 Tablespoons.

I've made good bread using Gold Medal AP and (gag) Crisco. It wasn't outstanding, nothing to write home about, but it was acceptable.

I have never enhanced the gluten content.

Thing about yeasts is they happen in their own time. Flour absorbs water only so fast so an autolyse is important. And yeast only fart so fast.

I've turned to weighing flour(s), water, honey/ molasses / sugar.

I also take notes on everything I do.

Some of the fallout of this is Wife is angry at me. Her anger stems from her guilt over enjoying some of the things I make more than she enjoyed her Mothers.

:shrug:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We went to see POTC 4 and I HATE paying fo the movie and being FORCED to watch 15 minutes of TV commercials (History channel, ABC Family, WB etc)!! JEEEEEEEEEEEEZ I zap through those at home but have to pay for them in the theatre!! THEN 15 minutes of movie commercials!! JEEEEZ keep the commercials and but cartoons back!! AND the volume was so loud I could have heard it form home!! I feel like I am going deaf!! And I have a pounding headache!! Why do they have to make it so damn loud?

Nancy-MD

We went to see POTC 4 and I HATE paying fo the movie and being FORCED to watch 15 minutes of TV commercials (History channel, ABC Family, WB etc)!! JEEEEEEEEEEEEZ I zap through those at home but have to pay for them in the theatre!! THEN 15 minutes of movie commercials!! JEEEEZ keep the commercials and but cartoons back!! AND the volume was so loud I could have heard it form home!! I feel like I am going deaf!! And I have a pounding headache!! Why do they have to make it so damn loud?

So that you can hear the movie over all the people talking on their damn cell phones!

Take care of that headache, Peep.

Nancy-MD

#&^%ing viruses…….malware to be exact. Idiots coding that should be shot. I got infected today while browsing a tech site for TCP IP stacks on embedded microcontrollers. Of ALL the places to get infected…..a TECH SITE! :pat:

It was the “XP Security” malware dupe. It’s been revamped and is a lot nastier in 2011. Avast didn’t catch it, and the malware stopped net access.

Had to drop to Safe Mode where it couldn’t run, then access the net for an updated Malware build. That caught it, but when it “fixed” the registry, it destroyed the lnk to exe links, and no applications would run in windows. Couldn’t double click and run any program, even regedit wouldn’t run!

Had to fire up the capture PC and found a reg fix, downloaded that to a thumb drive, put the thumb drive in the main PC and did the reg merge. On reboot, the EXE links in the registry were fixed. Since I was in tech mode, went ahead and did a registry clean and defrag, disk defrag, some TCP optimizations, msconfig clean up, and uninstalled some un-needed crap.

What a freaking pain! But, she’s back up an running better than ever. Still, could’ve found something else to do with those hours of PC maintenance! :lol:

At least the TCP tweaks seem to be shining though! :thumb:

OMG - say what? :respect:
I would have never, ever known to do all that stuff! I'm impressed.

Guts

I'm ready to get my pellet gun out. Damn mockingbirds make noise all day long and all night long and I do mean all night... all freaking night, they never shut up! And this will go on for at least another month or longer. I can just pray for a few more red tailed hawks only two or three of them in the neighborhood and they haven't found a nest yet. I think I should go put a sign up with a big arrow red tailed hawks free breakfast... Damn mockingbirds...

Guts

Kelton I've done that speed test thing when I was having some problems. I called my server and they sent out a technician to my house and I showed him what it was doing. He said okay. Then he said that's fine. The problem first. He started unhooking everything in the cable system and started from the line in make a long story short, he found the problem was in a cable connection the one at the wall where the cable in the wall screws to a plate and then comes out goes to the modem. The reason I told you all this doesn't have anything to do with your recent experience but while he was here. He showed me the IP address of my modem and I saved it so I can see in real time what my modem is doing. I know how techie you are and you might already know this. If not, find your IP address for your modem and it will give you real-time a what's going on. I'm not techie at all. As you know, but that speed test thing is just a guideline, not what's really going on at your modem. So I was told by the technician that they sent out.

Leni

Guts, I take care of that by having a room air cleaner run all night. The steady noise level drowns out those mockingbirds. However I do have a bird that starts to chirp around 5:15 that wakes me up every morning. I have a box fan in the sliding glass door that I leave open all night. When that dang bird with his piercing happy chirp chirp starts in I have to get up remove the fan and close the door. Of course the room is cold and now I can't get back to sleep for a while. He just won't shut up!

Actually I'd love to have a mockers nest in my apricot tree. They'd keep the squirrels out but they'd also dive bomb me.

Ronjohn

I just got accused of being in a bad mood because I wouldn't commit to a family event on Thursday. The conversation basically went like this...

"When is it?" Thursday
"When on Thursday?" I don't know.
"Where is it?" Lincoln Park.
"Ok.... WHERE in Lincoln Park?" I don't know.
"Well then.. what time is it?" I don't know.

"Ok, no. I can't make it" Well, you don't have to be so grumpy about it.

th_banghead.gif

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:yum: You should have said..."Well, I don't know if I can make it then." :yum:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
geez, 'ya try to pick amethyst tinted-eyes 4 the afternoon & it takes like 5 minutes to get the dagnabbin lenses in. they stick to you, fold in half.

loboloco

Guts, I take care of that by having a room air cleaner run all night. The steady noise level drowns out those mockingbirds. However I do have a bird that starts to chirp around 5:15 that wakes me up every morning. I have a box fan in the sliding glass door that I leave open all night. When that dang bird with his piercing happy chirp chirp starts in I have to get up remove the fan and close the door. Of course the room is cold and now I can't get back to sleep for a while. He just won't shut up!

Actually I'd love to have a mockers nest in my apricot tree. They'd keep the squirrels out but they'd also dive bomb me.
a .410 would solve that problem for me.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Kelton I've done that speed test thing when I was having some problems. I called my server and they sent out a technician to my house and I showed him what it was doing. He said okay. Then he said that's fine. The problem first. He started unhooking everything in the cable system and started from the line in make a long story short, he found the problem was in a cable connection the one at the wall where the cable in the wall screws to a plate and then comes out goes to the modem. The reason I told you all this doesn't have anything to do with your recent experience but while he was here. He showed me the IP address of my modem and I saved it so I can see in real time what my modem is doing. I know how techie you are and you might already know this. If not, find your IP address for your modem and it will give you real-time a what's going on. I'm not techie at all. As you know, but that speed test thing is just a guideline, not what's really going on at your modem. So I was told by the technician that they sent out.

Thanks Guts. My modem, a Motorola Surfboard, sits in the Test IP range at 192.168.100.1 – most Motorola modems do. Your router also has an IP that can be accessed with your browser. Mine is a Belkin, and most Belkins sit at 192.168.2.1.

Accessing the Modem GUI is ok for addressing a physical problem, in particular, a HW connection. You’ll want to review the SNR and Upstream Power. SNR should be 30dB or higher (the higher the better). Upstream power should be below 55 dBmV.

Mine:

SNR = 39 dB
Upstream Power = 51dBmV

SNR is how “clean” your signal is. The higher the value, the more clean of a signal it gets. Upstream power is how “hot” your modem’s transmit is. The transmitter has limited power (maxes at 60dBmV in most cases, but some are as low as 55). The higher this value, the harder the modem is trying to reach the headend. If either value falls out of spec, you have a line issue.

Field techs need this info to know the line is “clean”. Once the line is in spec, you are still never guaranteed full throttle service. For example, I pay for a 20 meg pipe down, but the first few months here, speed tests showed me I was only getting about 1 meg down. Thus, I was losing 95% of my BW.

This was because the area was oversubscribed (a typical ISP procedure). In oversubscription, the ISP “bets” that not everyone in an area will be online at the same time. So, they have a trunk capable of 100 meg, and they SHOULD only sell FIVE 20 meg lines – 5 x 20 = 100. But, that doesn’t make them money. Instead, they “bet” not everyone will ever be online at the same time, thus freeing the pipe. So they oversubscribe by as much as 20 to 1 or more.

This means they sell 20 customers 20 meg slots on a 100 meg trunk. That gives – 20 * 20 = 400 meg. 4x over the 100 meg trunk they have.

Now, if only 5 people are ever online at once, then 5 * 20 = 100, and the trunk can handle it.

But if all 20 get on at once, then BW is split between all, and no one gets what they subscribe to.

A few years ago when PCs were all that were getting online, oversubscription wasn’t that big a deal, but these days everything from an STB like Roku to your TV to your DVD player to your landline is net enabled. All of these things eat BW making oversubscription all the more evident.

You can use your modem diags to see how your physical line looks, but that is all it can tell you. If you are within spec, then you need to run a speedtest to see if you are getting what you pay for, or if you are throwing money at the ISP while you and your neighbors suffer slow speeds.

Besides physical interface, your router actually has more important information available through its GUI. Things you should be concerned about like security, channel and SSID, security logs, DHCP client list, etc. Never leave a wireless router “open”. Always encrypt it with a username and password, or your neighbors will be able to pick up the signal and get free internet access using your router. And if they ever download something illegal, it is still your fault. ISPs have a no tolerance policy. Saying it wasn’t me or I didn’t know the router was unlocked and my neighbor did that is no excuse. The ISP’s POV is, it’s your account, and it’s your job to protect it….even though they never help you do that. But it is all in the fine print of the contract you signed with them. It’s sad really.

To sum up:

1. Modem diags via the web GUI are good only for diagnosing the HW interface.

2. Router diags through the web GUI are essential to protect your account and ensure security.

3. Even with a perfect line interface, you are never guaranteed the service you pay for. Due to oversubscription, you MUST do speedtest to see if you are truly getting what you pay for.

If you are not getting what you pay for, you can easily ask for credit to your account, and they will give it to you each month until the issue is resolved.

My area was oversubscribed back in November when we moved into this house. I stayed on them about the poor speeds, and received full credit for three months until they finally brought in new trunk lines at the headend and re-routed some older modems through newly installed switches.

Once that was done, I began getting the full 20 meg down.

As for the TCP/IP tweaks, windows by default has a horrible TCP/IP stack, and its default values for MTU and TTL can cause noticeable drag. By tweaking those, you can actually squeeze out an extra 2-3 meg down in most cases.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We live out in the styx, and overall, I prefer and relish country living.

But, we do have to contend with the wandering animals. DW has gotten into the habit of putting scraps out at the fence line to fee the opossums, foxes, crows, and whatever else will come up.

Cricket, our 8 pound Yorkshire terrier, the mightiest fur-beast that ever lived and knows no fear, likes to chase birds, and opossums, and anything else. We stop him before anything happens, but dang, he just doesn’t listen and is constantly wanting to run, chase, bark, and be “the big dog”.

Well, Sunday night, Mr. Fur-Beast was let out for his last bit of business before bed, and off he went. Chasing something in the dark. And this time, he found out he wasn’t so bad.

It was a skunk. Poor little Cricket took a shot straight to the face! :w00t:

We grabbed him and brought him in, he was drooling and foaming a bit at the mouth. His eyes were red, and WHOA…..he STUNK!!!! :pat:

We’ve been fighting that stink ever sense, and DW, bless her obsession with cleaning, has been able to pretty much eradicate it. For the most part, we’re back to normal now with only a slight hint of that smell.

Ugh. How I LOATHE skunks!

I can only hope Cricket has learned a lesson…….somehow, I don’t think he has. :pat:

Oh, and tomato juice does NOT work. But, a mix of peroxide, baking soda, and laundry detergent does. The oxygenating action of the foam does wonders to lift and dispel the oil of the skunk juice.

I could go several lifetimes without ever smelling that again and be happy. I’m afraid though that Cricket may have other plans??????? Crap! We’ll see. :twak:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I feel your pain Keltin. I have two labs. The larger of the two "Bear". Whacked a skunk over the winter. We were pretty lucky. The skunk got off a shot that did not hit either one of them. Unfortunately, the "shot" soaked into the snow. Sort of like a large snow cone where it stank up the back yard for a month. The next door neighbor loved it. Not!

Bear, true to his breed retrieved the carcus and deposited it in the middle of the driveway.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm grumpy & sad. it's this ucky weather. most despise winter, whereas i luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv winter!!!!!, i despise most of summer, & most of spring/autum. ~shudders~ humidity, stickies, sweating, pre-mature wrinkling due to avoiding sunscreen, being blinded if your tinted specs ain't in your bag.

cookingirl

Rave-
The sun is out an shining!! Windows open--achooooo! ;)
But the sun is out and it is warm!! :flowers:
No rain!
rant--kind of--more of a concern
dad told me today his knee is worse--cannot walk well at all, as it it he can barely walk, and is a surgical risk due to his heart...
---venting--sorry--I am off next week and why is it every vacation something comes up with my daddy's health, and it is usually serious---ok--feeling sorry for myself...:eek2: enough of that--
The sun is out and windows open!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Finally!!!!!:a1:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That sucks Keltin. You're right, he'll probably do it again next opportunity he gets. Poor little guy. I'm glad you and Lisa were able to get rid of at least most of the smell.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Rave-
The sun is out an shining!! Windows open--achooooo! ;)
But the sun is out and it is warm!! :flowers:
No rain!
rant--kind of--more of a concern
dad told me today his knee is worse--cannot walk well at all, as it it he can barely walk, and is a surgical risk due to his heart...
---venting--sorry--I am off next week and why is it every vacation something comes up with my daddy's health, and it is usually serious---ok--feeling sorry for myself...:eek2: enough of that--
The sun is out and windows open!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Finally!!!!!:a1:

Sorry to hear that Cyn. Are they going to try to do surgery anyway? What kind of surgery...knee replacement?

It'll be nice to be on vacation next week. Be thankful that you will be able to spend some good quality time with you daddy even if you don't get to go anywhere. Those things and places with be probably be there for many years to come but you just never know how long you will have to spend with your daddy.:flowers: