"Jim's Italian Sausage Cacciatore"

Embryodad

"Jims Italian Sausage Cacciatore"

sausage cacciatore 002 (640x426).jpg

8- Italian Sausage 4" inch size links ( Plain or Hot ).
1- Can Chopped Roasted tomatoes. ( I used Hunts )
1- 7oz can tomato paste added to 1 cup water.
1- Large Onion / Wedges cut 1/2" inch wide North to South.
2- large Bell Peppers ( Green ) sliced in 1 inch strips
1- large potato cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Olive oil for frying
1 spear of garlic minced fine, or micro planed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In a skillet ( an electric skillet works best ) fry the peppers and onions in the olive oil, till just getting soft, then remove and set both aside. Separate the peppers from the onions.
In a pot, in salted water, boil the potatoes till soft. and drain and set aside.
Cook the sausage links in water about 1/2 way the height of the sausage. Cook for 20 minutes each side. Drain water to waste.
Remove links, and transfer cooking to a grill, and cook till sausage is browned and bubbling and sizzling. The links could be browned in a skillet. (* I prefer the grill )
Return links to the skillet, but cut links in half on a bias.
Add the tomatoes and paste / water mix to the links, and stir well. Drop the cooked onions and potatoes to the links and sauce, and simmer for 1/2 hour on low.
Add the peppers, and cooked till heated ( about 10 minutes ) ..... Serve with Italian bread, and or Ziti style macaroni.
( Serves 4 )
n o t e !
Normally, growing up, and living Italian, I watched Mom cook, but everything was done in the skillet. There was no draining the cooking water, and no grilling to remove most of the grease. That grease would float on top the skillet, and with bread, we would soak up all that bad stuff. Mom would say," That's what makes it taste good!" .....
N O T ! ! ! ..... I tried to lessen the fats as much as I could. ( Sorry Mom; as you roll over in your grave!"):cooking: