Why am I not excited about our new dishwasher?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
The dishwasher has been slowly dying, and after 10 years, the door is cracked, it doesn't close right, and we have to address the issue.

Several parts need replacing, and after discussion amongst ourselves, we figure that by the time we buy the parts, pay a service guy, and maybe take time off of work for the service call, the few years it will add to its life aren't worth it. The few appliances that we've had fixed didn't last that much longer.

So - a bottom of the line appliance is only $265; heck dinner out and a show (not that we go, mind you) cost about that, right?

Anyway, we opted for a model one level up ... got stainless to match the kitchen ... paid for tax, delivery, installation and for them to take away the old one .... I didn't mention it before, but money is pretty tight right now .... and the bill comes to double that!

So - we've been washing stuff by hand for a couple of weeks and we're sick of it. We all work full time and the sinks are always full and the dishwasher does a much better job than any of us can do ... the counters are always full of silverware and cups, both clean and dirty, and everyone is irritated ....

I'd rather wait until we got our bonuses at the end of the year, but long story short, we need an extra hand in the house, and the dishwasher is a good investment over getting a cleaning lady. I'm just worried about our credit card bill.

Thanks for listening!

Shermie

Site Supporter
The dishwasher has been slowly dying, and after 10 years, the door is cracked, it doesn't close right, and we have to address the issue.

Several parts need replacing, and after discussion amongst ourselves, we figure that by the time we buy the parts, pay a service guy, and maybe take time off of work for the service call, the few years it will add to its life aren't worth it. The few appliances that we've had fixed didn't last that much longer.

So - a bottom of the line appliance is only $265; heck dinner out and a show (not that we go, mind you) cost about that, right?

Anyway, we opted for a model one level up ... got stainless to match the kitchen ... paid for tax, delivery, installation and for them to take away the old one .... I didn't mention it before, but money is pretty tight right now .... and the bill comes to double that!

So - we've been washing stuff by hand for a couple of weeks and we're sick of it. We all work full time and the sinks are always full and the dishwasher does a much better job than any of us can do ... the counters are always full of silverware and cups, both clean and dirty, and everyone is irritated ....

I'd rather wait until we got our bonuses at the end of the year, but long story short, we need an extra hand in the house, and the dishwasher is a good investment over getting a cleaning lady. I'm just worried about our credit card bill.

Thanks for listening!

If it will help save all that hard labor, then get it!! It would be worth the money to do it! :bbq: :piesmiley1:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of my pet peeves is dirty dishes in the sink, counters or left elsewhere in the house.

I consider a dishwasher a "necessary luxury". :biggrin:

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
One of my pet peeves is dirty dishes in the sink, counters or left elsewhere in the house.

I consider a dishwasher a "necessary luxury". :biggrin:

Lee

O gosh do I hear you. It has been a bone of contention here that DW is the dishwasher police and it "MUST" be jam packed full before it runs. About six months ago, I just said "I don't care how full it is" when I cleanup the kitchen it runs.

A close friend of ours and one of my cooking inspirations says that she does not care if she uses every dish in the house as long as the food is good. I have adopted that philosophy. Therefore the dishwasher runs when I say it should.

P. S. I do all the cooking by choice, I am happy to do it and I enjoy it.

P. S. - Being self employed in a bad economy, I fully sympathize with money being tight.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Our last purchase of a dishwasher was supposed to lower our hot water bills, etc because it was "Eco-Friendly".......... problem is, it doesn't clean the dishes with any kind of consistency........ I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to dump this one after a year and go back to something that generates a powerful wash again, energy bills be damned !

Shermie

Site Supporter
Our last purchase of a dishwasher was supposed to lower our hot water bills, etc because it was "Eco-Friendly".......... problem is, it doesn't clean the dishes with any kind of consistency........ I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to dump this one after a year and go back to something that generates a powerful wash again, energy bills be damned !

A couple who are friends of mine have a built-in machine that came with the apartment. They won't use it!

They've been residing there for the better part of five years, & never once did they use the machine at all. They claim and think that it won't get the dishes any cleaner than washing them by hand!

I asked them how would they know that when they have never given it a try. Yet when I go over there and get a glass out of the cupboard to get something to drink, the glasses are all dirty & nasty! How on earth does one justify dirty nasty glasses over having a dishwasher and having never used it at all?! It is beyond me!! I just don't buy it! :sad:

Last edited:

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I had downstairs neighbors like that whose kitchen was always filthy and their kids were sick all the time. We used paper and plastic in those years; washing up was just for pots and sometimes silverware.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When I gave big dinners or large get-togethers, that is what I did. The only things that I had to wash were the pots & pans, along with the utensils.

Disposable ware saves a lot of time and hard work in the kitchen! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

Johnny West

I've had issues with the dishwasher but after reviewing consumer report it's still the best value, just had some new parts put in and it runs and cleans fine. I do the dishes here and run the dishwasher when I want but usually do it at night so I can enpty it when I get up.

When I did KP in the army I always volunteered to do pots and pans and the mess sagrents loved me because I had long arms and could work in the deep sinks. To this day I love to do pots and pans an no one touches them in my house.

I've got very good china and loved to use it for specific dinner parties but when it's a family BBQ I prefer to use paper plates and plastic flatware, as well.

I agree with Lee, I hate dishes left around as well as laundry. I do laundry daily. :neutral:

waybomb

If you decided on the make and model, check out the offers by some of the big stores - they usually offer 180 days same-as-cash if you use their card. Great way to spread out the cost without paying anything extra.