What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

Fell asleep in the chair last night so I got up early this morning. Made a batch of Lemon Cake Mix Cookies with granola, oatmeal and golden raisins. Gonna take some to a customer this morning, then the rest to the Fish Fry for the worker bees in the kitchen. They always like a snack while they're cooking.

Anyone else baking or are you all just hanging out at Lefty's Bar?

homecook

Depending on how the day goes I'm going to try my hand at some rye bread.

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Got up at 0430 thinking about an elderly friend in Hospice care, and his dear wife. I'm baking two loaves of honey whole wheat bread to take to them later this morning, along with a couple quarts of beef vegetable soup I made and froze last week. Heard from their niece that the wife is losing weight because she lost the desire to cook, so she doesn't eat unless someone brings them something...so I'm that someone at least for today. They have been married for 67 years...I can't imagine what they are going through.

Bread out of the oven...

ButtertopHoneyWholeWheat.jpg

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I'm making a couple loaves of Honey Whole Wheat bread as we speak. It's half way through the first rise.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter

All that homemade bread looks so scrumpous... it makes me want some.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Bread just went in the oven. I stopped at the store after dinner to pick up a few things to get ready for Friday's baking...20-25 loaves!:ohmy: Here's the most important item...

MontanaSapphire.jpg

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Does pizza count? I made the dough ;)

Attachments

• P1030336.jpg
    P1030336.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 232
  • P1030335.jpg
    P1030335.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 223

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

It absolutely does count for baking. Me & DW LOVE homemade pizza made with my no-knead pizza dough. I make a thin crust and bake it at 450 for 15-18 minutes, depending on the toppings.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

That's my no-knead baguette recipe. Works well for pizza and takes the high temperatures. I bake mine on a BGE, and I've been working on raising the temperatures.... this one was at 575 grid, 590 dome. I don't like the black you get from some of the pizza shops with brick ovens. It looks like some dark areas in the pictures, but I'll assure you, it was perfect to my taste. I'd like to get the bottom crust just a little more crisp, that's why I'm playing with the temps.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter

Ok, I live at:

2468 Happycat Lane
Funnyfarm, ZOO

I'll be waiting for the delivery :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

HE DELIVERS?????????? Why the hell didn't you say so?????:bb:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Bread just went in the oven. I stopped at the store after dinner to pick up a few things to get ready for Friday's baking...20-25 loaves!:ohmy: Here's the most important item...

MontanaSapphire.jpg

I told you that was the best flour to use! I am glad that you like it as much as I do. One day, you should test it with a cake recipe and see how high your cake rises. This is my favorite flour!

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Made some baguettes with the dough that retarded overnight :) Also have some multigrain bread rising.... Will try to remember to take pics later. Recipe and step by step pics are HERE

Attachments

• P1030353.jpg
    P1030353.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 224

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Wish I was better at taking pictures... no patience like some of the folks setting up light tents... I want to eat! Of course, you're no slouch :) Would be nice to have a bake-off.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wish I was better at taking pictures... no patience like some of the folks setting up light tents... I want to eat! Of course, you're no slouch :) Would be nice to have a bake-off.

If you've noticed, I have avoided the picture thread. I take pictures of my food in an environment that represents how the average cook/baker can expect their food to turn out... the kitchen! I appreciate food art, but that's not why I cook and bake...I cook and bake food that tastes good, period. If someone wants to cook for magazine articles, that's fine. It's just not part of my goal process in the kitchen, and I encourage the food artists to continue in their quest for the best pictures they can take of food at its absolute best.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I guess since nobody else posts to this thread, I might as well keep it going and make you dorks drool. I'm running out of room to cool bread today. I made dough for 24 loaves of Italian, and after lunch I'll get into the wheat and rye breads. I got innovative and took two dowels to use as a cooling rack.

P1010604.jpg

P1010605.jpg

P1010606.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Very nice, Joe. I am sure the men will enjoy their dinner and weekend.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

It is done!

24 Loaves of Italian....

P1010609.jpg

4 Loaves of Buttertop Honey Whole Wheat and 20 Honey Whole Wheat sandwich buns

P1010608.jpg

Time for a cocktail!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

You deserve it Joe! Those look great!

babe

nothing today , but just gave my granddaughter the biggest part of a dump cake. actually i don't consider it baking. i love to cook and bake, only me to do it for. so lots of stuff goes to my son and my granddaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.