I have a new challenge in my culinary career.....

AllenOK

We had a record number of new members join the country club over the past month.

Little did I know, that one of them is a vegetarian. She came in tonight. When she came in, she was really very vague about what she wanted. I ended up giving her some sauteed veg med, steamed asparagus, and some mashed yukon golds. I know, not very creative. We were slammed, with 30-minute ticket times because of a foul-up on some appetizers.

Once we got all the tickets out, and things calmed down, I went out and had the waitress introduce me to the new members. I had some specific questions for the lady. I wanted to know how far she took her vegetarianism. Come to find out, she'll eat dairy (I already new that), and eggs, although she prefers her eggs to be free-range, veggie-fed, organic eggs. I knew that she liked the meal I had made. I also wanted to know if she liked more exotic cuisines, as some of those really lend themselves to vegetarians.

Well, I'm in luck, as she's definitely fond of exotic cuisines. Good!

I have about 5 different pasta recipes, as well as fried rice, everything I need to make a vegetarian dish that was on the menu last year, ingredients for a decent vegetarian coconut curry, even a half-way decent start at a good Mexican dish or three.

It's on like Donkey Kong!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Try a vegetable strudel....spinach, feta and caramelized onions in phyllo dough.

Or sauteed mushrooms and peppers in puff pastry.

You can also do a roasted vegetable napoleon with a nice hollandaise sauce.

Fried green tomatoes with a peppery shitake cream sauce, too.

Good luck!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
How about some ravioli filled with cheese rapped in spinach leaves with a good sauce of your choice. You didn't mention seafood so I guess shrimp, lobster, fish are not on to eat list. You can also do a lot with portobello mushrooms even burgers. I just saw a marinated grilled portobello slider with blue cheese on Emeril Green that I passed along to Sass though I didn't post it here. I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch but I will even try this recipe myself soon. It really looked like a great one and could be adapted to a plated dish without the buns easily. Even the Lemon Aioli recipe he gave sounded great. Also a lot of stir fry dishes beside the curry dishes you said she liked.

AllenOK

Thanks everyone!

Yup, seafood is off-limits. Vera, some of your suggestions are good. I've worked with a vegetable tian before, that shouldn't be hard to adapt. Ratatouille might be good as well. I have hollandaise on the line, as well as bearnaise and even a saffron hollandaise right now.

I make a mean shallot/green peppercorn/cream sauce. I've used it for steaks, but can probably adapt it to green tomatoes and possibly grilled whole porto's.

Joe, I was thinking about a grilled porto sammie last night, but forgot to write it down on my list of possibilities. I'll have to change that. The blue cheese idea sounds great. Maybe mark (sear) the porto on the grill, pack the inside with blue cheese crumbles, and broil until done.

We've done a mushroom gratin in the past as an appetizer. It takes a few, but every now and then I get a request for one, even though it's not on the menu any more.

I also make a good fett. alfredo. The normal recipe calls for chicken, shallots, sliced button and shiitake mushrooms. I could just leave the chicken out. LOL. I have a standing $5 bet with all members/employees to find some place local that makes a better Fett. Alf. than I do. I have yet to pay out, but then, I have yet to be challenged as well.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the actual recipe as I took it off the tube which is a bit more detailed than the one posted on the site. No need to boil these either as they are marinated for an hour or longer and grill up pretty fast. Oh and do the gill side down first as once flipped them put the cheese on them. I will be making up a batch of these soon myself. Oh and I do apologies to Emeril in advance for posting his recipe but really think this could be a great one.

Emeril's Portobello Mushroom-Blue Cheese Burgers and a lemon Aioli

Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
4 large fresh portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
4 thick Vidalia onion slices
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 ounces Gorgonzola, thinly sliced (I like the May Tag blue cheese for this)

Lemon Aioli, recipe follows
4 large whole-wheat hamburger buns or large kaiser rolls
1 bunch watercress, rinsed and dried, stems removed

Method:
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary. Place the mushrooms in a large re-sealable plastic bag, or a baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

Prepare the grill.

Drizzle onions with olive oil and place on grill. Cook until softened and slightly charred.

Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and pat dry. Season both sides with salt and pepper, and place gill sides-down on the grill.

Cook for 5 minutes, then turn. Arrange the cheese on the gills of each mushroom and continue to cook until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Open the rolls and lightly toast on the grill, insides down.

Place 1 grilled mushroom inside each bun and top with grilled onions. Garnish each, to taste, with aioli.

Divide the watercress among the 4 buns and serve immediately.
Yield: about 1 cup

--------------------------

Lemon Aioli:

Ingredients:
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pinch cayenne
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Method:
While the food processor is running, drop in garlic cloves. Add the salt, eggs and lemon juice. Pulse to incorporate. Add the cayenne. Slowly drizzle in the oil, a little at a time, until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture emulsifies. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. (Use within 24 hours.)