Gold Site Supporter
Marinara Sauce:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 pound pancetta, diced
2 large Spanish onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Kosher salt
4 large cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
4 (28-ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
Coat a large sauce pot with olive oil and add the pancetta. Bring the pot to medium-high heat and cook the pancetta for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onions, season generously with salt, and stir to coat with the olive oil. Cook the onions for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently; the onions should become very soft and aromatic but have no color. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pass the tomatoes through a food mill. Be sure to pass all of the pulp through the holes leaving only the stems and the seeds, and be sure to scrape the pulp off of the bottom of the food mill. That's all of the big money stuff! Add the tomatoes to the pot and rinse out one of the empty tomato cans with water and add that water to the pot (about 2 or 3 cups). Season generously with salt and taste it; tomatoes take a lot of salt. Season in baby steps and taste every step of the way. Simmer the sauce for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally and tasting frequently.
Use the sauce right away on pasta or for any other tomato sauce need. This sauce can also be cooled and stored in the fridge for a few days or it freezes really well.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I have some pizza dough from trader joes in the fridge may make this today. I have my two year old grandson with me for a few days. He is a love!