Loaded Potato Minis

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
DW picked up some fresh Baby Kennebec potatoes from a local grower toady. He travels down from his orchard in Tennessee and sets up a road side stand. We always stop by and get his fresh veggies when he’s out!

Loaded Potato Minis

Ingredients

5 Baby Kennebec (or new Potatoes, Fingerlings, etc)
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Sour Cream
2 Tbsp Milk
6 slices bacon
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup Chives (optional)
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Procedure

Boil the potatoes whole with skin in tact for 20 minutes or until tender.

While the potatoes are boiling, fry the bacon until crisp and set aside. In the same pan, drain all but 1 Tbsp of grease and then add the diced onions over medium heat. Stir and then cover. Allow to sweat for 8-10 minutes or until translucent and tender. Set aside.

Once the potatoes are done, drain, and allow to cool until you can handle them safely.

Here’s the hard part.

Cut a potato in half. Now, with a small paring knife, use a pinch grip on the blade so that only 1/2” of the blade tip is exposed. Insert the tip into the potato at a 45 degree angle. Now slowly spin the potato around in a clockwise fashion. As you do, guide the blade so that it is 1/4” away from the wall of the potato. Continue all the way around until you cut out a cone shaped plug. Not, use the knife to shave more flesh from the potato until it is fairly hollowed out.

The idea here is to clean the potato out leaving a small shell with a thin wall of flesh. Make sure to save the flesh off in another bowl. You don’t have to be PERFECT when you do this. Just get them hollowed out by about 75% and try not to break the walls.

Once you have all of the potatoes hollowed out, turn your attention to the flesh. You may need to microwave it for a few minutes to get it hot again. Next, add the butter, sour cream, and milk and then mash the flesh until smooth.

Once it is all mashed and smooth, crumble and add all of the bacon, and then add the onion. If using Chives or Green Onions, add them now as well. Stir this mixture well to incorporate all of the ingredients.

Place the potato shells on a greased cookie sheet and pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Using a spoon, scoop up some of the mashed potato mixture and then put it into the shells. You’ll need to be careful here not to press too hard as you do not want to break the shells. Fill each shell with a heaping mound of the mashed potato mixture. Tip: Use your fingers to aid in the shaping of the mounded flesh.

Once all the shells are filled, bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are starting to brown.

Now remove from oven and top liberally with cheese. Finally, return them to the oven and bake another 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted. Serve immediately – with ice cold beer if desired!

Step_1-63.jpg

Step_2-62.jpg

Step_3-55.jpg

Step_4-50.jpg

Step_5-43.jpg

Step_6-38.jpg

Step_7-29.jpg

Step_8-20.jpg

Step_9-15.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Very nice........

Have you tried finishing these in a smoker rather than the oven?

No. I actually just put this together tonight, so it's a first for me (but not unlike twice baked potatoes which I do all the time). Finishing on the smoker sounds like a GREAT idea!! :clap:

Blues Man

I have potatoes ready to harvest. If I get my smoker out this weekend, I just might have to try'em........ I love whole smoked potatoes so these might be really tasty. If I do I will post some pics.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have potatoes ready to harvest. If I get my smoker out this weekend, I just might have to try'em........ I love whole smoked potatoes so these might be really tasty. If I do I will post some pics.

Excellent! I look forward to the pics!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG - I want these now!!! They look so elegant, too, using the fingerlings. Thanks, Keltin!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
They look really good Keltin. It's really similar to a recipe I posted here awhile back. Great minds think alike!

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1077

Holy cow, you’re right!! I never saw that (I joined here in February). Definitely some great minds here!! :lol:

I tried using a spoon like your recipe says, but the Kennebecs I used (and cut in half) have very thin skins. Super thin and are easily edible, even for those that detest the skin. If you notice in my pics, I started with 5 potatoes which should have made 10 Minis by the end.

There are only 8 Minis in the last pic! :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

In my head, the spoon sounded like a good idea since I use it in my Twice Baked potatoes recipe, but for this, I had to use the knife technique.