1/8 ts Pepper
2 Eggs
1 c Milk
1 1/2 c Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp cajun seasoning

Cut 2 the cleaned squid body sacks into 1/2" wide rings. Rinse well
under cold running water.

In deep fryer heat oil to 375.

In plastic bag combine flour, cajun seasoning,salt & pepper. Add a few squid rings at a time, shake until well coated.

In a shallow bowl combine 2 eggs and 1 cup milk (beaten). Dip squid in liquid then in about 1-1/2 Cups Italian Bread Crumbs.

Fry a few at a time about 45 seconds or until golden brown.

Drain and keep warm.

Serve with cocktail sauce or tartar sauce but my favorite is lemon aeoli​

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I never make these at home, but I ALWAYS order them as an appetizer if they are available........most times they are over-done..........sometimes they are perfect...........

buckytom

Grill Master
mommy, i'd avoid the canned ones, but you should be able to find frozen blocks of raw squid.

looks good, bam. can i have mine with a spicy tomato dipping sauce?

lilylove

Oh yeah... don't use the canned ones.

The frozen ones are not fun to clean but they taste so much better!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
mommy, i'd avoid the canned ones, but you should be able to find frozen blocks of raw squid.

looks good, bam. can i have mine with a spicy tomato dipping sauce?

you sure can but the best sauce i had was in houston tx..it was a lemon aioli sauce...still havent been able to find a recipe even close to that one.

Oh yeah... don't use the canned ones.

The frozen ones are not fun to clean but they taste so much better!!

the frozen ones are not that bad to clean but i agree, dont use the canned ones. when you buy frozen ones they are generally already clean with no heads on them. only takes about 5 minutes to clean one if you have to.

How To Clean Squid (Calamari)

Holding the body firmly, grasp the head and pull gently, twisting if necessary, to pull the head away from the body without breaking the ink sac. The internal body and tentacles will come with it.

Cut the tentacles from the head just below the eyes. At the center of the tentacles is a small beak. Squeeze to remove and discard.

Set aside the the tentacles to use (they're edible and tasty). If the recipe calls for ink, reserve it, otherwise discard the head and ink sac.

At the top of the body, there is a clear piece of cartilage. Pull it out and discard.

If the squid has an outer spotted membrane-type skin, pull it off and discard.

Under cold running water, wash the tube carefully, inside and out, to get rid of any sand or other remaining tissues, and wash the tentacles carefully as well.

If you're going to stuff them, you're finished. Set them aside to drain.

If you're going to fry them, remove the side fins and keep with the tentacles for cooking since they're edible. Let the squid drain.

Tips:

If the ink sac breaks, just rinse the squid under cold running water to clear away.

photo tutorial

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7E7P8XaE7k[/ame]

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=9331702[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df2q-R_hvZI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have some thawing now in the fridge, should be ready to go tomorrow so we can grill. I am planning on doing some of these up, some beans n weenies, a fruit salad and a veggie tray.
Then we can snack on that while I grill up the ribeyes and crab legs! Oh and corn on the cob...
Hey.. is it tomorrow yet?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
The frozen ones we've bought weren't cleaned... I'll have to look for the pre-cleaned ones!!

look for the frozen squid tubes if you are going to be making calamari with them - you might have to take out the white/clear cartiledge(sp)

Frozen-Squid-Tube.jpg

Mommy

best sauce i had was in houston tx..it was a lemon aioli sauce...still havent been able to find a recipe even close to that one.
i'm sure you called them for the rcipe, would they give it to you? do you remember the anme of the place

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i'm sure you called them for the rcipe, would they give it to you? do you remember the anme of the place

i am not sure they would give it to me because sadly, they dont serve the calamari with the sauce anymore, they serve it with marinari :(. it is at the Houston Aquarium and the restaurant is run by Landry's Restaurant Inc.

the menu

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I just made these, but had to bake them as I was out of oil. They turned out good, but I think I may have needed more salt and pepper, may something for kick too.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I got mine frozen, already cleaned. I love calamari!! Cajun sound good, thanks Jeff!